Has Big Bird lost his appeal?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Would any of Caroll's children, all grown-up of course, be willing to try to audition as Big Bird and/or Oscar the Grouch, if Spinney should ever pass away?
Well, Caroll has had an understudy for the past few years in Matt Vogel, so if anything were to ever happen to Caroll, God forbid, Matt will be able to take over.

Puppetry-wise, Jim Martin usually does Oscar, if Caroll's already in Big Bird, and the two are required to be in a scene together, but I believe John Tartaglia would do his new voice.

As for Big Bird losing his appeal... sadly, Sesame's audience keeps getting younger, and younger, while Big Bird remains six, so naturally, these days younger characters *cough*Elmo*cough* are going to be more relatable to the kiddies.

BigBirdABCDEFGH

Reaction score
Well, Caroll has had an understudy for the past few years in Matt Vogel, so if anything were to ever happen to Caroll, God forbid, Matt will be able to take over.

Puppetry-wise, Jim Martin usually does Oscar, if Caroll's already in Big Bird, and the two are required to be in a scene together, but I believe John Tartaglia would do his new voice.

As for Big Bird losing his appeal... sadly, Sesame's audience keeps getting younger, and younger, while Big Bird remains six, so naturally, these days younger characters *cough*Elmo*cough* are going to be more relatable to the kiddies.
Do you also think that the noted cartoon voice legend, Frank Welker, could do the Big Bird voice? He already did tackle a few Muppet voices once: the animated child versions of Kermit the Frog, Scooter and Skeeter, and Beaker (the high-pitched sidekick to Bunsen, himself voiced by Howie Mandel and later Dave Coulier) on Muppet Babies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Do you also think that the noted cartoon voice legend, Frank Welker, could do the Big Bird voice? He already did tackle a few Muppet voices once: the animated child versions of Kermit the Frog, Scooter and Skeeter, and Beaker (the high-pitched sidekick to Bunsen, himself voiced by Howie Mandel and later Dave Coulier) on Muppet Babies.

There already IS a second Big Bird... Matt Vogel. he performed Big Bird in all the Journey to Ernie segments. He's a trained puppeteer, and Frank is only a voice actor... and he may be just as old as Carol...

BigBirdABCDEFGH

Reaction score
There already IS a second Big Bird... Matt Vogel. he performed Big Bird in all the Journey to Ernie segments. He's a trained puppeteer, and Frank is only a voice actor... and he may be just as old as Carol...
Frank Welker was born on March 12, 1946; as opposed to Caroll, whose birthday is December 26, 1933. That means FW is 63 years old right now, while Caroll will approach the age of 76 this December.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Please keep in mind that Muppet performers usually PERFORM and do the character voices. So Frank would also have to perform the Big Bird suit.

Lol how did this subject come up?:stick_out_tongue:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Please keep in mind that Muppet performers usually PERFORM and do the character voices. So Frank would also have to perform the Big Bird suit.
While that's true for the most part, there's plenty of voice dubbing done with the Muppets.

Frank Oz performed Ma Otter for Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas, though Marilyn Sokol dubbed her voice; the reason she didn't do the puppetry is because Jim felt she couldn't do passable job with the lip syncing, but she still had good vocal talents.

Again, if Big Bird and Oscar are in a scene together, Jim Martin performs Oscar, and Caroll later dubs Oscar's voice.

BigBirdABCDEFGH

Reaction score

Lol how did this subject come up?:stick_out_tongue:
My contributing posts were based on the fact that Big Bird's early voice sounded akin to Clem "Here I Am!" Kadiddlehopper (a famous Red Skelton character), before Caroll decided by the show's second season he wanted BB to be personified as not a dumb hillbilly bird, but a child.

~Ben

zns

Reaction score
I greatly doubt that Sesame Workshop would ever let anything happen to Big Bird. Knowing that he is loved as much as Elmo is quite obvious that he plays an important role in the world of Sesame Street. He was also featured in the special portrait of Barack Obama, being him and Elmo the only Muppets in there with him. I'm can honestly say that Big Bird will continue to be a part of every child's eye as they continue to watch Sesame Street for years to come. :wisdom:

P.S.
This is off topic, but I also believe that the puppet versions of Ernie and Bert will be used on the show and not be replaced by the new clay-animated ones. :stick_out_tongue::frown:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I greatly doubt that Sesame Workshop would ever let anything happen to Big Bird. Knowing that he is loved as much as Elmo
He doesn't seem as loved as much as Elmo to me... I don't see any Big Bird merchandise (save for the Follow That Bird DVD), I don't see Big Bird being given special attention on the show, I don't hear anything about Big Bird appearing on so-and-so's show(s)... it's ALL Elmo these days.