Has Big Bird lost his appeal?

Fluffets

Reaction score
Wow I've popped on and off of this thread a few times and it seems the main discussion relates to elmo, enemy of us all. I dislike him myself despite ironically once being one of millions of children growing up with a tickle-me elmo. It seems that evidentally he's a muppet parasite, feeding off of character's popularity, I also agree about the merchandising and stuff, I think if you add up over the years, and with some bits in the collectibles section here you can clearly see that (almost) every character has a LOT of merchandise to themselves but will never top Elmo. But checking on some merchandising and what I read from an earlier post on this Big Bird IS the SS merchandise equivelant to Fozzie Bear, most of the products have very disturbing facial expressions and aren't worth buying, and so that's what I cobbled together from skimming through this a few times, let me know if there's something wrong on my erm.... essay?:confused::smirk::smile:

Telly

Reaction score
I don't mind Elmo so much. I just don't like how he BECAME Sesame Street. Murray's new and I like him, so I know (for me) it's not just the "pushing out" of older characters for newer ones. All my friends know that I think "Elmo's a sell out. You never say Grover sell himself like that!" Thank gosh I still have my Old School Sesame Street DVDs! As a matter of fact....

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Grover being a sell out; gotta love that "A Celebration of Me, Grover" DVD!

Telly

Reaction score
Grover's my favorite Sesame Street character! I'm just saying that none of the other Sesame Muppets had as much merchandising out there as Elmo.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Grover being a sell out; gotta love that "A Celebration of Me, Grover" DVD!
Hey... um... wasn't Grover like the unofficial star in like the late 70's, early 80's? I seem to recall a LOT of Grover books and merchandise around that time. Not quite as much as Elmo, and Big Bird was still the main "star" and all... but I surely remember a LOT of Grover focus.

I'll come out and say it... we should have kept JTE. I hate the fact that the show has to be segmented up and all, really I do (though I'm still LOVING Murray had a Little Lamb), but what characters are the most popular... Elmo and Abby... and they have long bloated segments now... That was Big Bird's segment. In fact, I haven't seen that much BB in years.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hey... um... wasn't Grover like the unofficial star in like the late 70's, early 80's? I seem to recall a LOT of Grover books and merchandise around that time. Not quite as much as Elmo, and Big Bird was still the main "star" and all... but I surely remember a LOT of Grover focus.
I was born in the wrong decade.
I'll come out and say it... we should have kept JTE.
I thought you didn't like Journey to Ernie?
I hate the fact that the show has to be segmented up and all, really I do
I don't mind it so much; Caroll Spinney even said that once they switched to that format for Season 33, their ratings shot up a bit.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I thought you didn't like Journey to Ernie?
Actually, I liked JTE as soon as they changed the format and they actually TRIED to make it entertaining. You know, when they actually did stories and put the 2headed monster in every episode. I swear the Letter B museum one with Bob was a masterpiece.

zns

Reaction score
Considering that Big Bird is only in a handlful of episodes this season, what would you say about all of this now. Is it really about the audience or the researchers who are trying to keep things going with the show?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think it is rumored that Joey Mazzarino and some of the other current writers have trouble writing for Big Bird. Can't remember where I read it (probably the thread about Big Bird only appearing in four episodes this season).

Nick22

Reaction score
Actually, I liked JTE as soon as they changed the format and they actually TRIED to make it entertaining. You know, when they actually did stories and put the 2headed monster in every episode. I swear the Letter B museum one with Bob was a masterpiece.
when i was little, i love journey to ernie. it was probly one of my favorite segments.