Has Big Bird lost his appeal?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Considering that Big Bird is only in a handlful of episodes this season, what would you say about all of this now. Is it really about the audience or the researchers who are trying to keep things going with the show?
Since this was already discussed, I'm just going to point out the 2 problems that lead to this.

1) The writers aren't quite as comfortable writing for Big Bird as they are bolder characters. I don't think it's a personal thing against the character (if there was any real unpleasantness with Carol, they'd just recast his roles), just a writing comfort zone thing. A lot of writers for television have better handles on certain characters than others. And Big Bird does seem to have a very subtle personality with very subtle complexities that would cause problems. Other than the fact there HAS to be some pressure to write more Elmo episodes (since that's their big money maker), I don't see anything really worrisome there.

2) Again, their budget is razor thin. It really seems like now more than ever they can only afford so many puppeteers to come on per episode... that leads to deserted streets, and lack of more than 6 characters at a time. So, even if Carol or Matt could do a walk by cameo, even poke the head out of his nest, the budget won't allow it now.

But make no mistake. When it comes to most merchandise, you'll see Big Bird Elmo and Cookie out there right in front. Sometimes either Ernie or Abby. Then again, Telly's in almost every other episode, and his merchandising presence has always been small. Ditto Baby Bear. And I AM seeing more and more Snuffy stuff. And as I said a year ago, there is NO CALL for Big Bird to look like a fuzzy Lollipop. What is he? Animal? :halo:

zns

Reaction score
Since this was already discussed, I'm just going to point out the 2 problems that lead to this.

1) The writers aren't quite as comfortable writing for Big Bird as they are bolder characters. I don't think it's a personal thing against the character (if there was any real unpleasantness with Carol, they'd just recast his roles), just a writing comfort zone thing. A lot of writers for television have better handles on certain characters than others. And Big Bird does seem to have a very subtle personality with very subtle complexities that would cause problems. Other than the fact there HAS to be some pressure to write more Elmo episodes (since that's their big money maker), I don't see anything really worrisome there.

2) Again, their budget is razor thin. It really seems like now more than ever they can only afford so many puppeteers to come on per episode... that leads to deserted streets, and lack of more than 6 characters at a time. So, even if Carol or Matt could do a walk by cameo, even poke the head out of his nest, the budget won't allow it now.

But make no mistake. When it comes to most merchandise, you'll see Big Bird Elmo and Cookie out there right in front. Sometimes either Ernie or Abby. Then again, Telly's in almost every other episode, and his merchandising presence has always been small. Ditto Baby Bear. And I AM seeing more and more Snuffy stuff. And as I said a year ago, there is NO CALL for Big Bird to look like a fuzzy Lollipop. What is he? Animal?
And I agree with you on all of this. It just gets to me though sometimes. Elmo is a great character because he has helped keep the show fresh for today's generation. But it's great that Big Bird still remains on the most popular list for the show. Like I said before, Elmo is the heart of Sesame Street, but Big Bird is the soul.:wisdom::wisdom::wisdom:

Skekayuk

Reaction score
I think it's important to bear in mind the way a lot of the original Muppet characters developed, often with a specific performer who both puppeteered and voiced it, with the character written in such a way as to be a sort of extension or his or her performer. Although this happened more with the TMS characters, I think it also occured to an extent with the Sesame Street Characters.
Rather than have new puppeteers 'take over' the old characters entirely, I think it is actually good to gradually wind down the use of older characters like Big Bird, and Bert, and Ernie, and even eventually The Count. Yes those characters made Sesame Street. But in the end for the brand to truly survive it needs to renew itself with new characters. That's why, although I don't entirely agree with Elmo having taken-over quite so much of the show, I think it good to have gradually built Elmo up into a major character, and let some of the older characters be used less. Maybe the writers could try bringing in a few more new characters to rival Elmo, rather than rely on the old characters.
Many long-running TV programmes have to contiunally reinvent themselves with new characters (often fulfilling the old functions), while remaining essentially the same kind of programme look at: Star Trek, Blue Peter, or Doctor Who. They've all had to do it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Rather than have new puppeteers 'take over' the old characters entirely, I think it is actually good to gradually wind down the use of older characters like Big Bird, and Bert, and Ernie, and even eventually The Count. Yes those characters made Sesame Street. But in the end for the brand to truly survive it needs to renew itself with new characters.
EEEEhhh! WRONG! INCORRECT! Thanks for playing, but you only get the home game.

Here's why.

Back when Jim and Ricard passed on and Frank wasn't as involved, new characters had to be developed to fill in those empty holes. I could provide a big long list, but suffice to say, only Zoe, Rosita and Baby Bear (basically because David didn't have a regular character). Eric Jacobson has been doing above and beyond excellent work with Grover and Bert... Matt was hand picked by Jerry to help perform his characters, while getting his characters from the Muppet Show. And yes, some characters have been hard to recast... and some even retired. Not to mention that Joey and David share a unique chemistry that made performing the 2headed Monster just as fluid as when Jerry and Richard did it.

New characters, even ones forced down everyone's throats don't tend to last long. When was the last time we saw Monty or Benny Rabbit? And Elmo... he's been around for 20+ years too. Kids KNOW when these characters are replaced, and more importantly longtime fans of the show. Heck, they replaced Gordon three times before going with the one they have now... Even Gabbi and Miles had different actors at some point. And those are the human cast members.

Way I see it, would you want to watch a new cartoon with Bugs and Daffy played by someone else who does a good job, or characters vaugly like Bugs and Daffy but with different names and voice actors to take the place of them because they were "too old." If Big Bird leaves the street people will take notice. This isn't Sherlock Hemlock, Guy Smiley, or Sherri netherland... these are very important iconic characters that would leave a huge gap if they left.

Besides, if they didn't recast a single soul, it truely WOULD be nothing but Elmo.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
My family & I were shopping at Babies'R'Us the other day, and as I was looking at the baby toys, my wife walked up with my Son in her arms, and he was holding a Big Bird beanie! She said he picked it off the peg and wouldn't let it go, so of course we bought it. I looked at the display where he found BB, and right beside him were Cookie Monster (MY favorite SS Muppet, I got him for myself, lol), and Elmo.

My Son picked Big Bird! So to answer this threads' original question: NO.:big_grin:
Anthony

Redsonga

Reaction score
No, I don't think so. He still is just as a beloved symbol on clothing and in toys as far as I can tell :smile:. It's a shame a lot of those toys don't get to Wal-Mart the way Elmo does because they might sell even better...

zns

Reaction score
Here are two things that I think speak for how Big Bird is still loved today.

Whenever I go on Sesame Street's website and head for the video page, I have noticed something when I am making a search. Big Bird's number of pages leads up into the 40's while Elmo goes into the 30's somewhere.

Another point is that a few days ago, I was at K-Mart and wondering through the electronics section. They had a very special display case for the new Wii games with Elmo and Cookie Monster. At the very tope of the display, Big Bird was at the very top with the Sesame Street sign greeting everyone. The other character's, Ernie, Bert, Grover, Elmo, Cookie Monster, and Oscar were all on the right side showing off the assortment of games and DVD's.

I think that this goes to show that despite the fact that some character's do get popularity over one another at some point o another, nobody is ever forgottnen. And that is certainly lot the case with our fine-feathered friend. Caroll Spinney himself admits that he likes Elmo and thinks he's adorable. :wisdom::wisdom::wisdom:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I was volunteering at a carnival recently, working one of the games and one of the little kids was very pleased to get a Big Bird toy as a prize. He actually yelled, "BIG BIRD!" :wisdom: :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Caroll Spinney himself admits that he likes Elmo and thinks he's adorable. :wisdom::wisdom::wisdom:
Yes, but Caroll has ALSO said that Elmo has been like the new baby brother that you have to get used to sharing attention with.

Drtooth

Reaction score
A couple years ago, I remember seeing Fisher Price release a Big Bird/ Snuffy singing plush set. Think about that. Not only is Big Bird still an important member of the show, but they've been acknowledging his closest friend recently as well. In fact, I haven't seen this much Snuff stuff since the 80's.