The Muppet Mindset

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Dude, how do I get involved in this?
D'at depends... whadaya wants ta get involved in? :shifty:

*ahem* That is to say... :stick_out_tongue: If you want to contribute an article or something, boss, just PM me with your idea! I'm open to mostly any sort of article things! Just hit me up with an idea and I'll give it the go-ahead. Once I've given you the go-ahead, you're free to write it, then e-mail it to me and I'll get it up on the site asap!

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Re: The Jim Henson Hour article....

I realize I okay'ed the revisions of this article. This isn't a complaint, just an observation/clarification: I didn't wemble nearly as much in the original, particularly when criticizing the show or its founder. I wasn't mean, but I didn't have all those backsliding little parentheses that soften what I DID say, which is that Jim Henson didn't pay attention to characterization and the show looked like an infomercial for really cool cutting-edge technology (at the time, anyway). Considering Jim himself said on a commentary/behind-the-scenes thing (I forgot where it was, though I think it was Dark Crystal) that Frank was more of the 'character' guy and Jim was more of the 'big picture' guy, I found it highly amusing someone added "(if he did)" to my article, as if I don't have the heart to offer negative critiques to my hero (which he is). I thought this show had lots of potential. Unfortunately, I was under the impression that everyone knew Jim wembled a lot towards the end. The lack of focus is evident in JHH. It's not just his problem, I hear that Muppets Tonight suffered the same flaw. It's apparent to me with that entire company now (and Disney). Again, the fact it was canceled and its characters mostly forgotten means SOMETHING went wrong. Yes, I'm aware good shows get canceled. Such an exception doesn't apply here. I thank Cait for re-introducing me to this show. But it is what it is. It is a transition, an experiment, etc. Dinosaurs is a show Hensons (and Disney) should be proud of. JHH was a bridge between TMS and that. Unfortunately, transitions are fuzzy by nature. Other additions are largely added, I guess, for flow or something. Even more amusing is the lack of "Just kidding" after I mention Muppet chauvinism. It just makes me look like I can't make up my mind. Anyway, the original is on my Facebook page in case anyone's interested. Other than I was a bit more blunt and there's not a lot of silly parentheses added, it's pretty much the same article, though.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I like that article on The Jim Henson Hour, and I disagree about many of the shows original characters being too "one-note". Underdeveloped, maybe, but I don't see Digit, Leon, or Vicki as one-joke (though the Muppet Wiki articles on Vicki and Leon are a bit short). Waldo may be a bit one-note, and maybe Lindbergh is (it seems like he was a major character in the first few episodes, then was phased out by the end). I'm sure that if Digit, Leon, and others were brought back after the shows cancelation that they would have had more development.

I don't think Leon is a cameleon. I'm sure he's a lizard-like species but I doubt he's a cameleon. "The Song of the Cloud Forrest" had a cameleon character who changed colors on screen, so I'm sure Leon would have changed colors if he was supposed to. The closest any species was attributed to him was years later when the puppet was reused as Gingritch the Newt in an appearance on Larry King Live.

And I don't think it was Jim Henson's decision to cancel this show. I think the author of that article might have been mistaking this show for Little Muppet Monsters when making that fact.

unclematt

Reaction score
I am so behind I have a lot of reading to do tonight

Beauregard

Reaction score
Oh! Wonderful! Amazingly, these pictures are worth a thousand words...And it's very well crafted.