Your Thoughts: Kermit and Miss Piggy on America's Got Talent

muppets2

Reaction score
Well the thing is, for me Kermit is Jim Henson. So for me anyone else who does it is imitating and "reminding." That's just how it is for me. But in this performance, the vibe just felt very right.

I won't compare performers too much, they're all professionals, we can't get up and do what they do. I'm just saying what my gut reaction was to this.
yea your right jim is the real kermit but he is gone so we will have to get used to this kermit (unless steve comes back)

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
What if something is wrong with Steve? Suppose he CAN'T come back?

Would folks want a "Kermit Kompetition?" Like, it'd work like this:

1. a panel of top Muppeteers make the final decision on who will be Kermit.
(such as Berretta, Clash, Spinney and possibly even Whitmire.)

2. Disney Management cannot arbitrarily select a puppeteer since they don't have the experience.

3. Diz management must accept the decision of the Muppeteer panel.

Luke

Reaction score

Would folks want a "Kermit Kompetition?" Like, it'd work like this:

1. a panel of top Muppeteers make the final decision on who will be Kermit.
(such as Berretta, Clash, Spinney and possibly even Whitmire.)

2. Disney Management cannot arbitrarily select a puppeteer since they don't have the experience.

3. Diz management must accept the decision of the Muppeteer panel.
... and call it America's Next Muppet! :smirk:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Or "America's Next Muppeteer."

I think there should be understudies so we don't have a long spell if something DID happen to someone, but I would want the understudies to work directly with the performers. Like Vogel does with Spinney.

Kynan Barker

Reaction score

Would folks want a "Kermit Kompetition?"
As long as we're suggesting things that don't have the remotest chance of happening, then I vote for gold bricks to fall out of the sky.

Someone else in this discussion brought up the example of the Futurama voice actors. How would your plan play out in that analogy?

Fox executives: "Hey, we don't have the experience to cast voice talent. So we're handing over all casting decisions to the existing voice actors, and we agree in advance to abide by whatever decisions they make. Because even though we have to answer to the shareholders of our enormous multinational corporation, we only want what's best for the Futurama franchise. Therefore, when it comes to the future of our characters, we're happy to be out of the loop!"

You're a smart guy, Kevin. And this is a major issue for the future of the Muppets. So is this outlandish hypothetical really the best, most thoughtful comment you have to offer?

EDITED TO ADD:
Kevin, I'm sorry for calling you out. It's not meant to be personal. But there's already so much craziness going on in these discussions. You're a moderator -- actually, a "super moderator," whatever that means. I just would have expected you to bring something substantial to the conversation.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
As long as we're suggesting things that don't have the remotest chance of happening, then I vote for gold bricks to fall out of the sky.

Someone else in this discussion brought up the example of the Futurama voice actors. How would your plan play out in that analogy?

Fox executives: "Hey, we don't have the experience to cast voice talent. So we're handing over all casting decisions to the existing voice actors, and we agree in advance to abide by whatever decisions they make. Because even though we have to answer to the shareholders of our enormous multinational corporation, we only want what's best for the Futurama franchise. Therefore, when it comes to the future of our characters, we're happy to be out of the loop!"

You're a smart guy, Kevin. And this is a major issue for the future of the Muppets. So is this outlandish hypothetical really the best, most thoughtful comment you have to offer?

EDITED TO ADD:
Kevin, I'm sorry for calling you out. It's not meant to be personal. But there's already so much craziness going on in these discussions. You're a moderator -- actually, a "super moderator," whatever that means. I just would have expected you to bring something substantial to the conversation.
Well, I think Kevin's just trying to lighten the mood a bit.

I like the idea. Outlandish and unlikely, but I still like it. After all, Disney has already proven that they don't know how to recast a character like this. Why not let the Muppeteers decide?

muppetsliveon

Reaction score
Artie's kermit sounds like Jim's early Kermit.It will take him a while but he will catch up with jim. Hopefully not taking over permanently.

Kynan Barker

Reaction score
Artie's kermit sounds like Jim's early Kermit.It will take him a while but he will catch up with jim. Hopefully not taking over permanently.
Are you saying that to perform Kermit, you have to start out imitating Jim's first performances and work your way up to the present day? Because I don't want to wait another 50 years for Artie to "catch up."

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Well, he might have a point. Matt Vogel's Big Bird often sounds a bit like Carroll Spinney's early version of Big Bird. So hopefully if the time comes for Carroll to retire and Matt takes over BB full time, his Big Bird voice might start to be closer to the one we know. So if Artie does take over as Kermit, he might be going along the same path. Just something to think about.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Are you saying that to perform Kermit, you have to start out imitating Jim's first performances and work your way up to the present day? Because I don't want to wait another 50 years for Artie to "catch up."
Well I don't think there was much wrong with Jim's first performances. :wink: