Your Thoughts: Kermit and Miss Piggy on America's Got Talent

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Mmmm, wasn't Steve at D23... unfortunately. :frown:

But, as Steve himself says, it's behind us. :smile:

Mupp

Reaction score
we all knew it was steve at D23. i don't think anyone ever said that it wasn't. i don't even know where you got that from
Long before I registered and looked through the whole "Steve is gone" debacle, I remember seeing someone claim that is wasen't his voice at the Expo. I can't remember who it was, or what thread, but I remember reading that, so I'm saying that it was indeed his voice.

To be frank, I was there, I saw all of it, not just the short clip from the media. It sounded like Steve. Steve was obviously not there live, but it was not Artie's voice.

Regardless, I do not appreciate your rude tone. ("i don't even know where you got that from")

I already said that I was not trying to cause problems, so I don't know why you felt the need to get snarky

Its over. Perhaps this thread should just be closed.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think the Kermit voice track was pre-recorded at the D23. Wasn't that the consensus and why the meet and greet was Fozzie, Gonzo and Pepe, but no Kermit?

Mupp

Reaction score
I think the Kermit voice track was pre-recorded at the D23. Wasn't that the consensus and why the meet and greet was Fozzie, Gonzo and Pepe, but no Kermit?
Yes, Steve was never on hand at D23. He was doing something else, whatever it was.
The official explanation was that Kermit was in New York. So who knows why Steve wasen't at the meet and greet. Perhaps he just couldn't make it. But I do think that it was his voice at the performance. From all that I heard, it sounded like him.

But anyway, the debacle is over.

On another note, I was at the meet and greet and loved it, by the time I got to the front, Gonzo and Fozzie had gone on break, but it was fun meeting Pepe.

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah the Muppets rarely sing live ... they certainly weren't live at the Rockefeller tree lighting either (i think that was both mimed AND edited in from an earlier pre-recording) so i can imagine the recording for D23 was done in studio long before the whole switcherooni stuff ever happened.

I always thought it was Steves voice at D23, only one person here ever speculated it wasn't.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
The Youtube clips are dead. This one works, although you will have to suffer through all of America's Got Talent to get to the Muppet bits: http://www.wisevid.com/play?v=2tzvtq5u6t-c

This guy sounds NOTHING like Mr. Henson, nor Mr. Whitmire. I can understand the difficulties of taking on such an iconic character, and the stress this performer must have been under. But honestly, it was such a poor representation of Kermit the Frog that I think it would have been better to leave him out of the show entirely. It's like Issac Hayes voicing Mickey Mouse. It just doesn't work. And, as mentioned several times by other members, the puppetry is very, very poor. Kermit looks like he's combating pre-mortem Rigor Mortis.

But Eric Jacobson has really grown on me as Piggy. I thought at first that no one could replace Frank Oz. In the beginning, Jacobson sounded like a bad impressionist, inserting too many 'moi's, his voice was to deep, etc. But now, even Piggy's mannerisms are starting to look like Oz's. Impressive.

And, of course, the chickens were amazing.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Hmmmm. I find it a little strange that this thread got bumped up recently after being dead for a while. I know we closed the 'Kismet the Toad' discussion and I'm not trying to stir up trouble, but while we're talking about this, there is something that I've been curious about. In Muppet Wiki it said that John Kennedy voiced :smile: in 'Disney Cruise Lines.' Was that during the time Steve was away? Anyone know what's up with that?

lynxminx

Reaction score
Hmmmm. I find it a little strange that this thread got bumped up recently after being dead for a while.
That was me...newbie error, I was surfing around the 'related posts' area at the bottom of a current post.

I'd just attended a lecture in which Steve intimated that there had been some recasting issues with Disney, so I was curious and poked around the forum for background. The video for AGT linked to in this thread has since been removed and I couldn't find it anywhere else; the MTV Video Awards link was still active and based on that only I objected to the level of vitriol displayed against Artie. So I opened my trap. Sorry!

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I see. It's alright. You don't need to apologize. In fact, I have been curious about that John Kennedy (Disney Cruise Lines) thing but I didn't want to post anything on that because we sort of got over that topic, but since this thread was updated it sort of gave me a chance. Though no one really answered my question there. Lol.

I'd just attended a lecture in which Steve intimated that there had been some recasting issues with Disney, so I was curious and poked around the forum for background.
Thanks for that info. That might sort of 'splain what went on last September with Artie's Kermit and mabye Kennedy as Kermit at DCL as well. Still I don't know why Disney would want to recast Kermit after Steve has been doing so well for nearly 20 years. It is something to think about. But it's up to the mods on whether or not we want to keep this thread going.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think this thread popped up again because, on the MuppetCast, Steve confirmed that it was Disney's experiment with a replacement Kermit performer and not his availability that resulted in the two Steve-less Kermit appearances. The matter has been resolved and he's stated that it's Disney's choice and there are no hard feelings about it. They tried it and it didn't work. So, it's the official confirmation that kind of started things here, but now that we know there's probably little need for this discussion unless it happens again. But it probably won’t.