Your Thoughts: Kermit and Miss Piggy on America's Got Talent

dwmckim

Reaction score
I think this thread popped up again because, on the MuppetCast, Steve confirmed that it was Disney's experiment with a replacement Kermit performer and not his availability that resulted in the two Steve-less Kermit appearances. The matter has been resolved and he's stated that it's Disney's choice and there are no hard feelings about it. They tried it and it didn't work. So, it's the official confirmation that kind of started things here, but now that we know there's probably little need for this discussion unless it happens again. But it probably won’t.
I don't actually fault Disney for trying it. Muppeteers aren't immortal; emergencies, and unforeseen circumstances and sometimes tragedies occur, thus Disney would be fools not to prepare for the worst and have emergency plans in place should anything happen to one of their key players. Even if fans are kept in the dark, they need to be searching and training understudies so a sudden tragedy doesn't grind all the Muppets plans to a grinding halt for years.

The problem though was (a) the way Disney handled it...code of silence mixed with sudden shock, leaving fans to worry about Steve and automatically have their hackles raised and claws sharpened (b) trying it with not only their top dog character (or "top frog" if you will) but also doing it with someone who simply was not ready for primetime (though perhaps someday he may very well be). The way it was executed, this was an experiment that was destined for failure.

But all in all, despite some bad p.r. (though some corporate beancounters will say any publicity is "good publicity" even if negative...though Toyota would probably currently disagree!) and a really rocky road - all is good, if not better in the end since Disney now knows how disastrous it can be and Steve's place as Kermit is pretty much set in stone now until he can no longer do it. I know this thread had been stormy, it did get ugly for a bit, but i really applaud the moderators for not taking the easy way out and leaving the thread open. The impassioned debates that took place here ultimately helped Disney see the errors in its ways, and drove the fans to take proactive action via Postcards for Steve, flooding Disney with feedback, spreading the word on blogs and articles. Frogs may sadly be an endangered species right now but one very important froggy baby has had his life (and heart and soul) greatly expanded.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I don't actually fault Disney for trying it. Muppeteers aren't immortal; emergencies, and unforeseen circumstances and sometimes tragedies occur, thus Disney would be fools not to prepare for the worst and have emergency plans in place should anything happen to one of their key players. Even if fans are kept in the dark, they need to be searching and training understudies so a sudden tragedy doesn't grind all the Muppets plans to a grinding halt for years.

The problem though was (a) the way Disney handled it...code of silence mixed with sudden shock, leaving fans to worry about Steve and automatically have their hackles raised and claws sharpened (b) trying it with not only their top dog character (or "top frog" if you will) but also doing it with someone who simply was not ready for primetime (though perhaps someday he may very well be). The way it was executed, this was an experiment that was destined for failure.

But all in all, despite some bad p.r. (though some corporate beancounters will say any publicity is "good publicity" even if negative...though Toyota would probably currently disagree!) and a really rocky road - all is good, if not better in the end since Disney now knows how disastrous it can be and Steve's place as Kermit is pretty much set in stone now until he can no longer do it. I know this thread had been stormy, it did get ugly for a bit, but i really applaud the moderators for not taking the easy way out and leaving the thread open. The impassioned debates that took place here ultimately helped Disney see the errors in its ways, and drove the fans to take proactive action via Postcards for Steve, flooding Disney with feedback, spreading the word on blogs and articles. Frogs may sadly be an endangered species right now but one very important froggy baby has had his life (and heart and soul) greatly expanded.
I understand why Disney tried that. The top puppeteers probably require a higher fee than younger hungry ones of great talent too. However, I think they soon discovered how it weakens their investment in the Muppets to have these fillers. I'm all for new performers with new characters as long as our classic ones are still headlining too and with their soul performers (until the torch is passed).

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's what I'm HOPING was the problem. After all, Disney lost the voice of Mickey Mouse not too long before, and I wonder if they had anyone else in mind, or they didn't even expect it, causing them to panic, and cause this situation.

I really don't like the sound of recasting puppeteers who want to work cheaper. Disney has had a solid foot in the ground when it came to to their characters, only recasting because of death or retirement or unavailability, or not having to pay huge celebrities to voice themselves in cheaper Weekday cartoons... not to mention the Robin Williams Genie fiasco. Again, Warner Bros has such an inconsistency with their Looney Tunes characters, leaving any available voice actor to play various roles. it's not uncommon to hear Jeff Glen Bennet at Sylvester one time, Joe Alasky another, or someone else entirely another time. And I really think it cheapens what they have. I remember hearing that June Foray had to re-audition for Granny for Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries (I can't remember is someone posted that here or someone else)... and the only reason she still plays Granny is that she got really angry and told them off. You go, Girl.

Whatever reason, I'm glad that it failed. If it was a nervous reaction to Wayne Alwine's sudden passing or some sort of bargaining chip to get actors to work for less or whatever only stands as an ugly smirch on what has otherwise been a long line of good stuff coming our way.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I remember hearing that June Foray had to re-audition for Granny for Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries (I can't remember is someone posted that here or someone else)... and the only reason she still plays Granny is that she got really angry and told them off. You go, Girl.
Okay, maybe a bit off-topic here, but that's something I never knew. I knew June was getting up there in years and a recast for Granny might be necessary someday, but I never knew it was because of that. Makes one wonder if Steve had those feelings about somebody else playing Kermit.

I'm also wondering about the characters who don't have official peformers (ex: Floyd, Scooter, Robin, etc.) I know it was said in LTS that Rudman was officially Scooter & Janice, but personally I think they could do better. Still I see what Disney was thinking. I guess they want to concentrate more on the major characters and seeing what can happen in case of emergencies. I can sort of see both sides ot the argument her.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I'm also wondering about the characters who don't have official peformers (ex: Floyd, Scooter, Robin, etc.) I know it was said in LTS that Rudman was officially Scooter & Janice, but personally I think they could do better. Still I see what Disney was thinking. I guess they want to concentrate more on the major characters and seeing what can happen in case of emergencies. I can sort of see both sides ot the argument her.
Floyd, Robin, and all of Jerry Nelson's Muppet characters have been taken over by Matt Vogel, who is doing an incredible job.

Rudman was chosen as Scooter and Janice because his voice is not only near-perfect, but because he was a very close friend of Richard Hunt's and the Muppet performers thought he would be a good fit.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay, maybe a bit off-topic here, but that's something I never knew. I knew June was getting up there in years and a recast for Granny might be necessary someday, but I never knew it was because of that. Makes one wonder if Steve had those feelings about somebody else playing Kermit.
It's a LOOOOONG story, and I can't remember all the details, but from what I can recall, they wanted to go with a Bea Benaderet sound-a-like, even though she rarely played Granny in a Sylverster and Tweety cartoon. June was NOT happy, and I couldn't blame her. Rest assured, this happened in 96, and she was still in great form. After telling the producers off, somehow they decided to give her the role anyway... and great thing too. I just love hearing June Foray, in her sweet little ol' lady voice say (during Mardi Gras) "Here you gpo, Hector... I've got some beads for you! The things I had to do to get these!" :big_grin:

Floyd, Robin, and all of Jerry Nelson's Muppet characters have been taken over by Matt Vogel, who is doing an incredible job.
To take it a step further, Matt got the roles, not only under Jerry's blessing, but he was suggested by the man himself. Now that's what I want to hear with a recast. Suggested by the performers themselves, with their blessing.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
It's a LOOOOONG story, and I can't remember all the details, but from what I can recall, they wanted to go with a Bea Benaderet sound-a-like, even though she rarely played Granny in a Sylverster and Tweety cartoon. June was NOT happy, and I couldn't blame her. Rest assured, this happened in 96, and she was still in great form. After telling the producers off, somehow they decided to give her the role anyway... and great thing too. I just love hearing June Foray, in her sweet little ol' lady voice say (during Mardi Gras) "Here you gpo, Hector... I've got some beads for you! The things I had to do to get these!" :big_grin:

To take it a step further, Matt got the roles, not only under Jerry's blessing, but he was suggested by the man himself. Now that's what I want to hear with a recast. Suggested by the performers themselves, with their blessing.
Yeah. I heard about that. In fact in Jerry's interview, he mentioned that Matt is now doing the puppeteering for the Count, so I'm guessing he'd be next in line there for whenever Jerry retires from the role.

Mupp

Reaction score
Important; Please read

Just to give an update, in this podcast from MuppetCast, Steve is interviewed and is questioned about what happened with America's Got Talent;
http://muppetcast.com/WordPress/archives/489

Steve Whitmire is brief about it, but in response to the America's Got Talent appearance;
He basically says that he was available to do the show, he was there when it happened. He says that it was an experiment to try something on the part of the Walt Disney Company, and that he didn't think that it was a good idea.

He says that it happened, and "its behind us". He says that no one is mad at each other. He feels that its not fair to say anymore, because there are politics involved and they are all moving ahead.

All in all, Steve seems very positive and hopeful for the future. Its a very interesting interview, and I encourage everyone who reads this to listen to all of it if they haven't already.

Mupp

Reaction score
..Oops! Sorry, I didn't notice that Frogboy already mentioned it..
Oh well, I gave the link, so give it a listen! :wink: