Your Thoughts: Dinosaur Train

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Huh...didn't know this thread existed (but I dont visit this section often).

Dinosaur Train needs more love on here. I was honestly not expecting to like it but it turned out to be a great, fun show. I'd even say its on par with Bear. Its not really a show you can describe with words, but more people need to check it out.

I was tempted to buy some talking DT toys that Walmart had one day :embarrassed:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Me too. I really do like Dino train... but the only thing that bugs me... when they talk to the palaeontologist at the end of each segment....can't they find kids that are... I dunno... in to it or something?

I wish they had Sid PVC's, though.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I'll confess i actually like the Scott/kids segments but admittedly because they have that "so bad it's good" camp quality. There's something oddly charming about those awkward first seconds as they fade into those scenes while the intro music's playing and before Scott starts speaking where Scott and the kids are just standing there looking at each other waiting for their cue with all the kids just patiently and expectedly gazing up at Scott awaiting his lecture. And the kids' attempt at doing stuff like pronouncing the dinosaurs' names, giving their scripted responses to his questions, or saying "ahhh" in unison. But yeah, unless you're enjoying it for its "fun bad" quality, you're probably not going to be as thrilled!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah it does have the so bad it's funny quality, but is that really a quality the show needs?

There is nothing that bugs me more when it comes to kid's programming than kids with no charisma hopping up and down on camera, not looking at who's talking... not even the BAAAAAAAAAD actors from Barney. I mean, why is This kid the most memorable from Sesame Street? He was attentive, he believed in the characters, he had fun doing it and really got into it. That's why he kept coming back.

I read somewhere that in Japanese kid's programs, when they had a problem with a kid on camera, they would pull them off stage and replace them with a stuffed animal. Had we the same system here, Scott would be talking to a room full of soft toys.

It's a very awkward segment to say the least.

anytimepally

Reaction score
I watched Dinosaur Train with my nephew around Christmas, and I loved it. It's really well-made compared to the other shows he watches.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I read somewhere that in Japanese kid's programs, when they had a problem with a kid on camera, they would pull them off stage and replace them with a stuffed animal.
Interesting. Wonder if that could be done with adult actors as well (Imagines 2 1/2 Men co-starring a stuffed animal...)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Interesting. Wonder if that could be done with adult actors as well (Imagines 2 1/2 Men co-starring a stuffed animal...)
They should have canceled that show a year ago. Not so much for that reason, it was getting stale.

But yeah, does Dino Train (almost mixed the name up with the D-grade, completely unoriginal anime Dino King for a second) need another baaaaaadddddd talk to kids segment? I like that they show the concept drawings for the characters, sure... but do they need to ask a bunch of half asleep, half too hyper to care kids to mumble the words? It's the same problem I have with Elmo's World... the talk to kids and talk to a baby bit drag the thing on longer than it needs to.

Now, I understand what the filler is. If anyone has seen certain shows that were kicked off PBS and put in syndication these shows have fail safe filler in case they're shown in commercial markets. Something that can be cleanly edited out without disturbing the program itself. Examples... The Magic School Bus: the fact check ending was deleted in Fox Kids and qubo broadcasts... Liberty's Kids: The Liberty News Network cutaways are absent in the syndicated Wonderful World of DIC, and edited completely off to make room for promos of bad Cookie Jar shows on This television. So I guess internationally, these segments are deleted as well to make room for commercials if they air on a commercial network.

But the question is... couldn't they have done something good?