The Dark Crystal Series for the Cartoon Network

JMPrater

Reaction score
any news on the power of the dark crystal movie? remember when they said more news would be released soon back in february? lol

junglecat

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. It's such a shame if the cartoon doesn't get produced. Hopefully the second movie will still be made. I havent heard much about the movie in awhile...

SuzieChan

Reaction score
Last thing I remember seeing that even referred to the CN show was a blog entry from Pixar artist Kelsey Mann:

http://kmann.blogspot.com/2007/06/dark-crystal.html

See also: http://kmann.blogspot.com/2006/03/dark-crystal-designs.html

(edit) and: http://kmann.blogspot.com/2007/09/more-dark-crystal-vis-dev.html

Shame it never happened.
Whoa... These designs look awsome! :excited:

I'm definitely going to watch it, that is if it will be made. This project has a huge potential, so it would be a real waste to cancel it just like that. :stick_out_tongue:

JMPrater

Reaction score
Me neither. The world of Thra is a organic one, and the lines on those concept designs are far too sharp and modern. If a cartoon series is to be undertook, then it needs to be quite classical in approach, very artistic and organic. The linked designs looks like The Clone Wars and a million other Cartoons on television these days.

Jeffboy

Reaction score
The only design I really appreciated was the UrRu. I am a big fan of the 2D flat art design in films like Secret of Kells and Thief and the Cobbler, feel like that would have been a pretty interesting direction.

From the blog: "The actual development went in a different direction that this, but I really had fun with what came out in my first run."

I wish we could have seen more concept art.

SuzieChan

Reaction score
Heh... seems like not everyone likes it. Which is fine, 'cause everyone has it's own opinion.

I admit, that I'd rather see Bryan Konietzko and Michael DiMartino doing "The Dark Crystal" cartoon series, because I think that the style from "Avatar: The Last Airbender" would work really well in portraying the world of planet Thra. But I guess one can't really get what he/she wishes for...

These disgns don't really look bad (I especially like the Gelfling warrior and the Gelfling girl), but I think that they could've been slightly better, especially the one of the Skeksis from the first link (I got a bit carried away in my previous post ^^').

Bear in mind that this is just concept artwork, who knows how this will look like in the end. It could've always been worse...

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
I think the art looks awesome! :cool: It's too bad this series probably won't happen though...:sympathy:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
A traditionally animated version of Froud's beautiful drawings just isn't in the cards these days.

That said, I could dig a 2-D Clone Wars/ Samurai Jack style animated program as expressed in the drawings here, but with some alterations. I need to say there's a lot in this I do like.

My main issue is that the artist is allowing the style to eclipse the charm and spark of the source material in key areas when it should emphasize these things instead.

Jen is a heroic gelfling, but he's a smaller, quieter figure - not this hulking warrior as depicted. He's a reluctant hero. That goes to the heart of the entire story. If the artist doesn't understand that, he should be replaced.

Kira just looks dim, unattractive and uncomfortably sexualized here. Back to the drawing board completely with her design. And remember not to give gelflings people noses! That's another key to the design.

The Mystic looks great. The artist managed to retain the fluidity of character within the inherent angular style. A+

The Skesis isn't quite right in the face. I'd say they need to go back to the original puppet and work forward from there.

I know this series is probably nixed, but those are my notes. What we're seeing are likely very early drafts so it's a treat that probably isn't ready to be critiqued. I'd check it out. With those marked changes and some good writing it could be something cool. :scary: