Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

Drtooth

Reaction score
I also noticed that most of the releases from Warner have been different from each other. Here's what we've gotten (or wil be getting) so far:
Februrary 2010: Elmo's World - Can't remember the title, but it was a release of three Elmo's World episodes.
March 2010: Elmo's Rainbow - Three street stories, plus inserts.
April 2010: Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures - a release of 13 Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures episodes.
May 2010: The Best of Elmo 2 - Warner Home Video's first SST release of a DVD with original linking material.
June 2010: Firefly Fun and Buggy Buddies - Similar to the "Elmo's Rainbow" release, only with two street stories and an Elmo's World (and additional inserts).
July 2010: Preschool is Cool!: ABCs with Elmo - The first in a new series of Sesame Street DVDs, with at least new footage (I assume it will have inserts as well, besides the bonus "African Alphabet" skit).
Notice... other than the Ernie and Bert claymation compilation, they're ALL Elmo videos. I still say that's all they're interested in. I so wish Vivendi got the SW distribution license. I know Shout's doing Ghostwriter sometime this year... but I just don't like how they're going about with these so far. Vivendi (the distributor for Shout, BTW) KNOWS how to deal with old schoolers. I would like someone to at the very least sublicense collector's sets.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Notice... other than the Ernie and Bert claymation compilation, they're ALL Elmo videos. I still say that's all they're interested in.
I hadn't noticed that (though I don't really see "Firefly Fun and Buggy Buddies" as an "Elmo video" aside from him being on the cover and in some of the material). It's too bad that first "Preschool is Cool!" video has the title "ABCs with Elmo", as Professor Grover supposedly appears as Elmo's teacher.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I bet the next one will be Counting with Elmo. That's all I can say. I know the show's Elmo-centric, but the videos should at least vary.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I bet the next one will be Counting with Elmo. That's all I can say. I know the show's Elmo-centric, but the videos should at least vary.
I think "123s with Elmo" would be a better title. But if such a DVD were to come out, I wonder if it'd still have Professor Grover, or if The Count would be the teacher.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In addition to those things I pointed out about Warner Bros.'s Sesame Street releases (and what dr.tooth said about them all being Elmo videos), I've noticed that all but the Elmo's World and upcoming bugs video contain things that were on the recent 40th anniversary DVD. Part of me wants to think of this as a coincidence, and part of me wants to think this was done on purpose.

The springtime release had Guess the Seasons Song. I guess that was to be expected, as there aren't many segments that are just about spring (it's a shame that Spring is Here wasn't included in addition to The Cookie Bunny). The Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures DVD has the segment that was on the 40th anniversary DVD, but I can forgive that if they plan to make a second volume and get every B&EGA segment on DVD (because to have every episode on "complete" DVDs, they'd have to double-dip). The Best of Elmo 2 has four segments from that set, and I feel that is overkill. And of course it's been announced that African Alphabet will be a bonus feature on the upcoming alphabet release.

As I said, that one should have included ABCs of the Swamp instead. The only video release of that is the long out-of-print The Alphabet Game. Or it could have included Kermit and Joey singing the alphabet, though that has been released a few years ago (just not on the anniversary set). Or they could have chosen Don Music's version of the alphabet song, or the rare skit where Kermit tells Bob that the alphabet is the secret of life, or one of the other segments (besides the Joey one) where Kermit and a kid or kids recite the alphabet. Or even if not a Kermit alphabet segment, they could have chosen Rappin' Alphabet or Ernie writing an alphabet story or Biff trying to get Sully to say the alphabet.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In August there's going to be a new DVD called "P is for Princess", featuringthe season 40 episode with Paul Rudd, the segment where Elmo and Natalie Portman paly "The Princess and the Elephant", and two "Abby's Flying Fairy School" segments (I'm not quite clear on whether those two segments will be bonus segments or not, though it would help fill the DVD time to around 40 minutes). So for once (err, for twice?) Warner Home Video is going to release a Sesame DVD that isn't focused on Elmo (it's more focused on Abby... In fact Elmo isn't even on the cover, only Abby is). Still, I don't find this one to be very interesting (maybe if it contained some Sesame Street News segments involving princesses...).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In August there's going to be a new DVD called "P is for Princess", featuringthe season 40 episode with Paul Rudd, the segment where Elmo and Natalie Portman paly "The Princess and the Elephant", and two "Abby's Flying Fairy School" segments (I'm not quite clear on whether those two segments will be bonus segments or not, though it would help fill the DVD time to around 40 minutes). So for once (err, for twice?) Warner Home Video is going to release a Sesame DVD that isn't focused on Elmo (it's more focused on Abby... In fact Elmo isn't even on the cover, only Abby is). Still, I don't find this one to be very interesting (maybe if it contained some Sesame Street News segments involving princesses...).
Looking at the Muppet Wiki page (and I beleive the cover) the Abby's Flying Fairy School segments are listed as "bonus episodes". Would they use the term "bonus episodes" if they are part of the main program? Based on what's announced that would make an approximate 17-minute feature, though it wouldn't be the first time a Warner-released Sesame Street DVD ended up with more than what was initially announced.

Considering the "princess" theme and looking at the Muppet Wiki page for Abby's Flying Fairy School, my guess is that the episodes included will be "Cinderella" and "Sleeping Bloogy". But we'll find out in two months.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
SS.org claims that there's two other stories on the DVD in addition to the one with Paul Rudd. I have a feeling one of them is the P game story from #4139.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Hey you were right! The next "Preschool is Cool!" release has been announced, and it is Counting with Elmo. I forget what the release date is (I think september). It'll include the "Counting Booth" and "Sparkle Speckle Freckles" street stories in addition to linking material (too bad it won't have the Number Seven Tribute episode... That would have gotten us another Harvey Kneeslapper appearance on DVD). No other details have been announced yet (only time will tell if it'll have a bonus counting clip).

Hmmm, this might be a good release for that upcoming "Pinball Number Count" remake segment that'll premiere next season. Then again I thought "ABCs with Elmo" would have been a good release to include the "Super K Cereal" commercial.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yawn.... anyone as bored as I am with the fact they're only releasing current episode street stories lately? :sleep: