1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

Discussion in 'Sesame Merchandise' started by D'Snowth, Oct 16, 2009.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

2. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

In the words of a certain Ren and Stimpy character, "No Sir, I don't like it." True, Genius entertainment is no more, but their licenses were picked up by a smaller company, who I believe could have done a better job.

We;re talking about a company that absolutely hates releasing kid's media in anything but overpriced volume sets, and not collectible season/series sets. They pulled crap with the Smurfs DVD's, releasing them first in affordable Season sets, opting to make overpriced 4 episode "Volumes" for kids who are basically too young to even care. All I can see are overpriced re-releases of older DVD's and newer DVD's with no bonus content, and the complete cession of collector friendly old school sets.

To reiterate, no sir, I don't like it.
  4. Drtooth

I just groaned about this on another thread. Really... Warner Bros? You couldn't find a WORSE company to do business with? A company that's under the impression people still buy (As I've said in 2 threads now) 4 episode 15 dollar baby volumes? Really... everyone knows kids LOVE waiting 6-8 months to get 4 episodes of their favorite show just so they can be discontinued halfway through due to low sales.

You're NOT going to get anything good out of this. We can kiss any chance of seeing Old School Vol 3 (or anything like that) ever again. These guys have a TERRIBLE history of listening to fans and collectors. Sure, they start DVD releases, and then abruptly stop them for the oh so profitable "Family" market of kids too young to know or care about certain cartoons.
  5. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

ya just because its a big name does not mean that it is the best thing in the whole world.
  6. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Shout! Factory probably would've been a better choice.
  7. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Wasn't WB the last hold-out on uniform DVD packaging? They used that eyesore flipbox until a year or so ago. What they've done to their own Luney Tunes collections is almost criminal. :attitude:
  8. D'Snowth

What happened to Sony Wonder?

No seriously, what happened to them? I don't know all the details, I heard they got bought out or something.
  9. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

From my understanding, Sony didn't want to use that division of the company anymore for home video distribution. But then the brandname became re-used for Sony's family-oriented releases.

I'm personally excited about Warner Home Video having the rights to the Sesame Street titles. For what it's worth, they do put some reasonable DVD's out (at least the ones I have) so I trust them with the Sesame Street properties. Besides, don't doubt an Old School Vol. 3, WHV is king when it comes to apparently children's oriented box sets.
  10. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Obviously, SW would have sorted out these kinds of details before hand. Plus, WB only owns the distribution rights.
  11. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I feel like this could be either good news or bad news. Warner Bros. has released many comprehensive DVD sets of old cartoons, including the Looney Tunes: Golden Collection sets, the Peanuts decade sets, the Popeye sets, and various Hannah-Barberra box sets. Of course, out of those I only own the Looney Tunes and Peanuts sets, and Warner didn't release any new Popeye sets this year, nor did WHV release any cheaper equivilients to the Looney Tunes: Golden Collection this year (it was announced that Warner would continue releasing smaller Looney Tunes releases without double-dipping), though two of the movies were released with bonus shorts (albeit from the 1980s and 1990s). And in the last year it seems like Warner's collectible DVDs have had less features/ care put into them (the same can probably be said about many big DVD releases regardless of studio). I know that Sesame Workshop has permission to release old Kermit the Frog material, and I hope that the fact that Warner will be releasing the DVDs doesn't affect it (since Warner Bros. is a bigger competitor than Hit! was).

But still, I am confident that Warner Home Video will release some sort of collectors set some day. It would be great if Warner releases an almost even amount of collectors DVDs (for us) and general family/ pre-school-marketed stuff.

By the way, does anybody know what happened to Genius? Genius just got the license three years ago, and now there's another change?
  12. Drtooth

Eye sore, you sore... those things were just flimsy pieces of crap. Doesn't matter how it looks, they made them cheap, the containers were cheap... and I'm sure there were bunches of broken disks there too. All because of that cheap, crappy packaging.

I wouldn't know, since you'd have to be a successful criminal to afford them. :busy:

Sorry, but I think Genius did the best job of all, until they dumped their assets on someone else. They were the ONLY ones smart enough to take 2 half hour videos and put them onto a DVD. And I'm sure they encouraged SW to put bonus episodes on there. There was another company that was announced to keep carrying on the Genius label...what the heck happened there?

Here's the thread about the supposed "Acquisition."
  13. Drtooth

Genius is or was owned by Weinstine... they're having monetary problems right now, so I don't think they'd be in the financial shape to keep a sub-brand running.
  14. minor muppetz

Another thing that I've thought of. Warner will be releasing Sesame Workshop DVDs... That should make it no problem for new DVDs of The Electric Company to include Road Runner segments. I hope that Warner will also release Square One.

I sometimes wonder if the distribution companies have much say over the releases of Sesame Workshop videos and DVDs, or if Sesame Workshop actually has full controll.
  15. D'Snowth

WB's removed videos from YT before for "copyright infringement", yet never owned the rights to content in the videos, just the distribution rights.
  16. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

OH I am so fuming with rage, as this is the same company that has done barely little with the "Hanna-Barbera characters" besides Distrubtion their old Shows

I mean besides the relaunched of the Scooby-doo franchise, there has been very little done with updating the other Hanna-Barbera shows. :(

I can see this may not end well if this idea were to go through for all of our sakes.
  17. D'Snowth

Well, keep in mind Scooby-Doo is pretty much the most popular Hanna-Barbera franchise,
  18. Drtooth

Also keep in mind that WB sees Scooby Doo like Disney saw Winnie the Pooh. They value it over any other character they own, even bugs and the Looney Tunes.

Even then, Laff-a-lypics being volumes? I don;t think so! Like anyone under the age of 20 cares about half the characters on that show.
  19. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

I didn't even know Laff-a-Lypics was even on DVD. :insatiable:
  20. minor muppetz

Though I don't own any of those, I heard that the "double features" were just two-disc releases, with the same content on both. Sort of wasteful, as they should have had more. And recently I've seen some of the same productions on stand-alone DVD releases with Genius packaging (though my local Target has some in two-packs, with seperate packaging for both DVDs... And in some cases the exact same packaging as Sony Wonder releases).

But this news was just announced. We don't know that Warner Bros. won't be smart enough to release two (or more) half-hour videos on one DVD. And wouldn't be great if Warner Bros. treated some of these like the Peanuts specials? I mean, it'd be awesome to have new releases of Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, Big Bird in China, and other classic specials with new documentaries.