1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

Discussion in 'Sesame Merchandise' started by D'Snowth, Oct 16, 2009.

1. erniebert1234ss Active Member

I may be hopeful, optimistic, naive, or all of the above, but WHV did a good job with the Looney Tunes sets, SOME of the Hanna-Barbera sets (such as the multiple Scooby Doo boxsets) and the Peanuts DVDs (truly awesome how lovingly they remastered the You're a Good Sport, Charlie Brown DVD, I was expecting more of a longshot on that one).

If (IF being the optimal word here) having a video distribution deal with Sesame Workshop gives WHV as well as SW a conduit for releasing far more titles from the SW catalog (such as Ghost Writer, Square One Television, etc.), then the deal will be a good one. However, it remains to be seen if that will indeed be a good thing.

BJ
  2. erniebert1234ss Active Member

The optimal word there is YET. They've announced it for release in January 2010, to coincide with the Winter Olympics in Vancouver (about time). I'll probably buy it because I loved watching that show when they were still showing Laff-A-Lympics on Boomerang. Plus, it sounds like it'll be a cheap DVD pickup. BONUS!

BJ
  3. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

You know, one thing that'd make an interesting release would be a three-disc "Sesame Street Christmas" release, featuring all six christmas specials (assuming Sesame Workshop owns A Special Sesame Street Christmas and that the music rights aren't troublesome... And that Warner and SW would be willing to release it), maybe a featurette or two, and the two Sesame Street News segments involving Santa Claus.

And man, if only Warner Bros. would have waited until the ACTUAL 25th anniversary of Follow That Bird to release a 25th anniversary addition... They would have been able top include some bonus clips from the show.
  4. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I'm not exactly sure, but I BELIEVE there was a release like that a few years ago, only instead of all six specials, they were just simply DVD versions of Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, Elmo Saves Christmas and Elmo's World: Happy Holidays released in a three-disc boxed set, much like how Paramount did with the three Peanuts holiday specials (and I happy to own this set).
  5. MuppetMazz Member

Hey, hey...family forum! :search: :grouchy:

I will withold judgement until I see some plans but I hope we get more Old School. I would even settle for just DVDs of the skits, I don't even need the entire episodes.
  6. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Whoa! Broad typo, even for ME!
  7. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I know that. It was made before the last two christmas specials. In fact, Sony Wonder released two different three-disc sets (one with the packaging for all three releases included, one with one thing of packaging).
  8. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm sorry... but is THIS what they're planning to do with classic clips? "Lookee! One classic segment! That'll make you fans happy. Now go out and buy some season set of a current TV show that didn't even finish it's season yet!"

If this is the case, I hope this license crashes and burns, leaving SW to look for someone competent for DVD releases.
  9. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I wouldn't overreact just yet. I think this is only the second announced DVD from Warner Home Video, and it doesn't seem too different from what Sony and Genius have been doing. I mean, aside from the Old School and 40th anniversary DVDs, classic material on new DVDs has been semi-scarce (we have gotten some that had quite a bit of classic material, like A Celebration of Me, Grover! and Kids' Favorite Country Songs... The Play with Me Sesame DVDs also have a bit of "classic" material, though very few of it's from the 1970s). Heck, the stuff marketed mainly at adults have been scarce, with one a year (and no adult-marketed stuff in 2008).

And while we have gotten quite a few DVDs with bonus sketches since 2004, not every DVD since then has had bonus sketches. I am hopeful that Warner Home Video will release SOMETHING for the fans this year, but of course I don't know.

Heck, I wonder if we'll get anything with new footage this year. Since summer 2009 there haven't been any new Sesame Street DVD with new linking footage, nor have there been any announcements for such.
  10. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

After thinking about the recently-announced springtime video only having one classic clip, a thought occurred to me. There really aren't many sketches about spring. The Cookie Bunny is close enough, as the Cookie Bunny is an obvious parody of the easter bunny, and easter comes in spring. All other inserts I know of that represent spring treat it equally with the other seasons (and that statement applies to one of the episodes included as well). Even "I'll Love You in the Spingtime" treats them all equally despite the song title. Man, this is making me wish for Sesame Street DVDs relating to summer and winter... At least there are plenty of classic clips relating more specifically to those seasons.

it's also interesting how the bonus clip is promoted on the cover... Have any previous Sesame Street DVDs promoted their bonus clips that way?
  11. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

You know, while Warner does own the rights to the characters from those properties, Warner doesn't own the Sesame Street characters or program, only video distribution and the rights to make Sesame Street video games.
  12. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm gonna side with mbmfrog on this one. I might be over-reacting, but I know what Warners does with their DVD's, and how annoying and frustrating their practices are. Sure, every company floods the market with DVD's of shows that are still on the air, and haven't even finished their season before their season sets are announced, then whine about how no ones buying them, leading the cuts to go to classic programming... but I still think WB takes it one step further. They have yet to complete a series on DVD (with the exception of What's new Scooby Doo? Even the classic show releases are unfinished), and they really are under the impression that it's 2001 and people are still willing to buy single disks at wallet UNFriendly prices. I'm still holding out, like an idiot for the announcement of Tiny Toons season 2 and Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries season 2... all while grimacing at each and every single disk Smurfs collection.

What really bugs me are those new "Looney Tunes Starring" DVD's with one single disk. I'm sorry... I know that the Golden collection had a pricetag that made it a vanity buy, but they can certainly do a LOT better for collectors than single disks this late in the game. Economy nothing, they just want to create things on the cheap and then complain how poorly they sell.

I'm sure they'll have something good planned later, but if this is their idea of making fans happy, one lousy skit, then I really want them to consider another company. It's a shame Genius is gone... their stuff WAS Genius.
  13. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I wonder how much of the first season of Tiny Toons has been released on the two sets... I think Tiny Toons is one of the few animation properties that WB has released in a set of more than two discs.

The majority of Warner Home Video releases I have on DVD are the Looney Tunes Golden Collections and Peanuts decade sets. While I do enjoy Popeye and many MGM and Hanna-Barberra cartoons, I don't enjoy them enough to buy the DVD releases that Warner has put out (and I'm just one person... The lesser DVDs of those properties isn't my fault... right?). I have been tempted to buy the decade saturday morning boxed sets, but haven't... Is it too much to buy them just for episodes of The Bugs Bunny Show, The Road Runner Show, The Porky Pig Show, and so on? I do plan on buying the Looney Tunes Super Star sets... The announced price has changed a bit since the initial announcements, but if there are four a year, I wonder if buying them all will add up to the price of the Golden Collections.

With the Sesame Street releases, my spending decision will be the same as it had been with Sony Wonder and Genius... I'll buy the ones I'm really interested in (mainly ones with classic clips), and hope that my local library has the ones I don't plan on buying. The spring release does interest me, not just because of the Cookie Bunny clip, but I saw and liked two of the street stories included.

I don't want to let this thread go off-topic, but it seems like there have been changes regarding Warner Bros.' DVD releases of cartoons. The Looney Tunes Golden Collection always had four discs, and was cancled because sales of the last few weren't good enough. But before the last release, Warner seems to have limited it's multi-disc releases to two... Popeye went from being a four-disc collection to a two-disc collection (and there weren't any releases last year... I haven't heard of any releases for this year, either). Many Hanna-Barberra series boxed sets became half a season/series release.

I'm pretty sure that we'll get a mix of Sesame Street DVDs with and without bonus sketches, hopefully some two-disc sets intended for adult collectors/nostalgic fans, and maybe even some regular releases with classic clips in the main programs.
  14. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I've been thinking more about this upcoming springtime release... I'm not bothered by it having just one bonus classic clip... The Cookie Bunny sketch is one of my favorites, and I hoped it would have been on the Old School or anniversary sets... I know I can see it for free at sesamestreet.org, but I like to have physical copies of old sketches as well (just in case). But then again, I've read that next season will focus on bath time... I won't be surprised if there's a bath-related DVD release... but let's say theoretically that there's a bathtime DVD containing three of next season's street stories, and it includes a bonus skit or more... Now, I don't think there are many classic segments relating to springtime, but considering all of the classic bath time sketches over the years, I'd be disapointed if only one were included as a bonus feature, unless it was something truly holy grail-like, like the true original first season version of Rubber Duckie... But there are plenty of great bathtime inserts that haven't been released commercially... Brad's bath, Professor Grover's bathtime tips, I've Gotta Be Clean, Sing in the Shower (the original with Olivia would potentially be a good way to honor Alania Reed Hall), Ernie planning his bath, Ernie trying to remember what he forgot to do, Forgetful Jones planning Buster's bath.... So many that can be included....

Man, I hope that the people in charge at Sesame Workshop and Warner Home Video are reading this.
  15. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

16. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Well, I bought the Elmo's Rainbow DVD, which is the second Sesame Street DVD by Warner (third if you count Follow That Bird... And higher if you count all the rereleases from Genius and other past video companies). I must say, it's hardly different from the average single-disc Sesame release from Genius or Sony Wonder. It still inclues that international "Sesame Street" promo seen on all home releases since 2004, and still includes a "preview other Sesame Street DVDs" feature. The only real difference from the average Sesame DVD of the past is that there's also a forced promo for a Sesame Street DVD, but it's just one. At least there aren't previews for unrelated DVDs from Warner Home Video.
  17. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

When writing that I wanted to point out that there were no known upcoming Sesame Street releases, and wanted to ask when the last time was when there were no known upcoming releases (besides 1984, of course). But I just read at Muppet Wiki that there's going to be a Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures DVD, featuring 11 segments (more than I would have included... Beleive it or not I would have put in just 6 or 7). I also read that there's already been a Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures compilation released in the UK. But still, we'll finally get a non-Elmo's World DVD compiling a recurring sketch series.

Oh, and like with the first Elmo's World video, this one is just titled "Bert And Ernie's Great Adventures". And it comes out in April.
  18. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I think I might just pick that one up, though I REALLY want to see them release ones that haven't previously been seen on the show. Plus, I don't see why they couldn't release 13 segments, since then they'd only need to release 2 volumes of 13 segments each to release the entire run.

Plus, there seems to be NO bonus features of any kind. I'm really not liking the lack of bonus features on this and the last release (that threw one lousy classic segment at us and said "Happy now?")
  19. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Do we know that there won't be any more segments? There could be a third "season". Of course I think there are still many that haven't been shown on Sesame Street yet.
  20. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I am a bit mixed about whether I'll get the Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures DVD. I feel tempted, but then again, I don't watch the B&EGA clips that are at sesamestreet.org very often, and usually when I do I usually switch to another video clip before it's over. And I also rarely watch the segment that's included on the 40th anniversary DVD. But then again, it would be interesting to see if the opening is included in every episode or just the first one on the DVD, and also if the closing sequence is featured with every sketch. I guess the opening would be more likely to be featured only once, and there'll probably be closing credits. It will also be interesting to see if Bert's "This is kinda kicky" line will be intact (it is on some of the clips at sesamestreet.org, as well as on the 40th anniversary DVD). Of course if the opening is only featured once then I would expect the "kinda catchy" line to be used instead.

Man, there sure are a bunch of exciting Henson DVDs planned for this year. This, the Dog City and Song of the Couldforrest DVDs, and most likely The Muppet Show: Season Four.