Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

Drtooth

Reaction score
I saw that Essentials collection at Target... but here's something else. Considering it's a WB release, I saw something else that, while unrelated, speaks volumes...

There's also a 3 Scooby-Doo DTV animated movies set with relatively the same packaging and same price. Now, this gets me to wondering... is this a long line of plans to have 3 Disks in a collection that costs around 15? And will more Sesame Street titles be in that mix, I wonder...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I saw that Essentials collection at Target... but here's something else. Considering it's a WB release, I saw something else that, while unrelated, speaks volumes...

There's also a 3 Scooby-Doo DTV animated movies set with relatively the same packaging and same price. Now, this gets me to wondering... is this a long line of plans to have 3 Disks in a collection that costs around 15? And will more Sesame Street titles be in that mix, I wonder...
I also saw that Scooby Doo collection. You know, that's how The Essential Bugs Bunny Collection should have been handled (not that I'd have bought it either way). Not a two-disc collection where only disc 1 is classic shorts, and only 12 (when each disc of the Golden Collections and Super Stars collection had 15 restored shorts). There are a lot more "essential" Bugs Bunny cartoons that weren't included there. In 2004 Jerry Beck had said that Warner Home Video only had a budget to restore up to 60 cartoons a year, regardless of whether the DVDs had bonus features... Considering so many notable shorts were ommited and that most of the truly essential Bugs cartoons hadn't been restored, it could have had a lot more (even more than 15 a disc).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've had problems with their plans to release the cartoons after the Golden collections. WB clearly hates having to release cartoons on DVD of ANY kind (to some extent, they let DC comics get away for fear of angering comic geeks... though they still refuse to release Static Shock and Legion of Super Heroes in sets). it's like they're stuck in 1999 with most of their 3-5 episodes for 15 bucks releases.

But the Elmo and Scooby disk sets are 3 disk bundles of existing DVD's... similar to when they did the "double feature" movie releases, but those were double disks with DVD's ported onto each side. I hate double disks.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well I checked out Counting with Elmo from the library, and although it's not mentioned on the packaging, it does contain a bonus clip: Herry and John-John counting to 20. That inclusion isn't too special, as it had also been released on the 40th anniversary DVD (and both releases cut Herry's ending comment), as well as being included in Sesame Street: 20 and Still Counting which was released around the same time.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was just reading the description on the back of the "Elmo's Rainbow" packaging, and noticed what the first sentence says: "What's at the bottom of Elmo's rainbow? A DVD filled with all your favorite Sesame friends." Really? If it's filled with all my favorite Sesame Street friends then why doesn't it have Grover, Oscar, Kermit, Biff, Sully, Herry, Forgetful Jones, Bruno, Don Music, Guy Smiley, Lefty the Salesman or Little Jerry and the Monotones? Talk about false advertising...:wink:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Today I was fantasizing about a "Sesame Street Spoofs" DVD. I guess they had a way of reading my fantasy mind!

Muppet Wiki says that it'll have Miami Mice. I wonder which one it'll be (I'm hoping the one with The Count since that one's so rare in english, yet I'm also hoping for the Kermit one so we'll get Kermit on this release, and yet I'm hoping that if there are any additional Miami Mice sketches besides the ones with Ernie, Kermit, or The Count it'd be that; But then again, none of the Miami Mice sketches are on DVD). Too bad there's no word on including any Monsterpiece Theater sketches (though I seriously doubt the set won't include any).

I'm hoping Squeal of Fortune gets included. I guess it'd be unrealistic for Katy Perry's Hot and Cold to be included.

EDIT: I checked the WB Studio Store page, and Kermit isn't listed in the copyright credits (the website did list Kermit in copyrigth credits for the last few releases that have the character, even if he's not pictured). Unless that's a mistake then I guess that means we know one Miami Mice sketch not included. Of course there aren't many Sesame spoofs with Kermit. Only others would be Monsterpiece Theater: Gone with the Wind, Sesame Street News: Six Dollar Man, and the various Don Music sketches (considering this I really hope that's a mistake; I really want one of Don Music's songs to be included). I wonder if the Forgetful Jones OOOO-Klahoma sketch would count as a parody (the only difference in lyrics would be the replacement of a single syllable).

Daffney

Reaction score
Looks like WHV is finally aiming something for the adult fanbase.

It's great to see a "best of" release for once. :insatiable:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Looking at the Warner Store page, I noticed it said the running time will be 48 minutes. I suspect that's a mistake; If it's only 48 minutes then why make it a two-disc set? Though the main page at the studio store website lists it as "Vols. 1 and 2" but also calls it a two-disc set in the description (I wonder if the two discs will be sold seperately as well as together).

I wonder how the segments will be organized. From what I read one of the discs will be classic segments and the other will be recent, so it'd make a little bit of sense to be presented chronologically. But I feel it'd be better if arranged by genre (song spoofs, television spoofs, Monsterpiece Theater, etc.).

I think it would be fitting if the set began with Don Music's "How to Get to Yellowstone Park" and ended with the "Cookie's World" street story.