Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 40

Mupp

Reaction score
I know that this thread has been around for a while, and this is my first time here, but I just wanted to share my thoughts;

Generally, I have enjoyed season 40. Unlike previous seasons, this season we have seen many more appearances of the more classic characters such as Big Bird, Oscar, Snuffy, the Count, Cookie Monster, and Grover.
For example, I was glad to see that Cookie Monster and Big Bird were involved with the "Stinky's Birthday" storyline.

I have to say that I have gotten somewhat used to the "new" Zoe, but I really would love to see her back to here "old" self.

Also, I do like the new "tune in" spots with Murry, and this may sound odd to some, but I do like Abby's Flying Fairy School. I think its a cute segment for children and I like the new characters. I also love the fact that the character's mouths are animated as if there was a hand inside their head like a real puppet.

The only thing that I cannot sit through is Elmo's World. I do respect the fact that lots of children love him, and that apparently the segment has to be part of the show to hold the attention spans of young children, but I still cannot stomach the segment.

I also don't mind Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures (yes, I know that it started last season) because they still show puppet Ernie and Bert segments. Although that does lead me to one of my only issues with season 40;
no new Ernie and Bert skits.
I realize that part of the reason of their absence is because Steve and Eric have been busy with their Muppet Show characters, that's why I'm hoping that they will have time to perform Ernie and Bert for season 41.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I agree with the last thing you said. There were several ones taped around 2002 and 2006 that have yet to air on the American show, but are playing on the foreign co-productions, why can't they use those?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Also, I do like the new "tune in" spots with Murry, and this may sound odd to some, but I do like Abby's Flying Fairy School. I think its a cute segment for children and I like the new characters. I also love the fact that the character's mouths are animated as if there was a hand inside their head like a real puppet.

The only thing that I cannot sit through is Elmo's World. I do respect the fact that lots of children love him, and that apparently the segment has to be part of the show to hold the attention spans of young children, but I still cannot stomach the segment.
As I stated a while ago, I love Abby for ALL the reasons I hate EW. They actually attempt to do something and have a plot and story, and it cleverly deals with problem solving. All EW ever attempted was to say "Buy Elmo Toys!" My only problems with Abby are that it's just a bit long (but still manages to fly by faster than that 7 minute Cow thing from the first season) and they relied HEAVILY on reruns this year while insisting that they have to put the segment on each and every episode. Even the Zha ZHa Gabor gag gets stale after the third time.

As for the tune in, again, it seems like a cost cutting idea and little more. Murray's games and demonstrations of opposites have been used 3 times, if not more, on occasion, and the Letter and Number recap is the same one redubbed over and over... sometimes using the WRONG footage of the wrong episode. And I still object to the "Abby's coming up next" bit. I Love the idea of him hosting the letter and number and word on the street bits, though... but that's all it should be.

I also don't mind Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures because they still show puppet Ernie and Bert segments. Although that does lead me to one of my only issues with season 40;
no new Ernie and Bert skits.
I really want to see more of the unseen E&B segments and less of the Murray's Lamb segments I already saw last year twice. I don't think the clay puppets would ever replace the foam ones... but some of the newer E&B segments aren't all that hot, and some of them are incredibly off kilter... like the one about the Frog in the oatmeal. If I want to see the Muppet Ernie and Bert, I want to see either new taped inserts, or some really choice older ones. I would much rather see Ernie and Bert's clay counterparts than Ernie singing about how much he loves his room, or playing the Head shaking, nose honking game.

Mupp

Reaction score
..As for the tune in, again, it seems like a cost cutting idea and little more....And I still object to the "Abby's coming up next" bit. I Love the idea of him hosting the letter and number and word on the street bits, though.
Yeah, I can understand that. I think that part of the whole "Its almost time for Abby!" deal is to make it seem like an advertising bumper, sort of going along with the Sesame Street idea of "selling" concepts things to kids.

And yes, a lot of footage does tend to get recycled a lot.
Its probably true that there are budget issues.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
2. Leslie's Muppets All Look and Sound the Same
It seems to me that I hear Abby no matter who Leslie is doing. Such as the flower a few shows back. Anyone agree?
Hmm...Not sure about "look" alike, but sound alike. Occasionally, there would be an English accent or something, but it would still sound like Abby.

Mupp

Reaction score
I don't think that its necessarily true that all of Leslie's characters sound like Abby.

I have heard her perform some characters that didn't sound much at all like Abby.

Yes, sometimes you can hear a hint of Abby's voice in some of her characters but children are not as discriminating as adults, and I don't think that children mind or even think that it could be the same voice.

Leslie is still a very talented performer and can do some great characterizations.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Awww... no love for the Frog in the Oatmeal? I LOVED that one and found it hysterical! I think Eric actually managed to out-Oz Frank in that one!

Oh my, based on the discussions here i can just see the future pledge drives...Send money now or we reduce Zoe to the size of a Twiddlebug. We will now play a Mural 17 and Computer 16 film festival over and over until we raise enough money to make different inserts!

Muppet Frog

Reaction score
The only thing I like about EW was when Kermit made a comeback cameo in the Frogs segment.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I really want to see more of the unseen E&B segments and less of the Murray's Lamb segments I already saw last year twice. I don't think the clay puppets would ever replace the foam ones... but some of the newer E&B segments aren't all that hot, and some of them are incredibly off kilter... like the one about the Frog in the oatmeal. If I want to see the Muppet Ernie and Bert, I want to see either new taped inserts, or some really choice older ones. I would much rather see Ernie and Bert's clay counterparts than Ernie singing about how much he loves his room, or playing the Head shaking, nose honking game.
I know what you mean. It would be great to see new E & B sketches or even more of the old ones with Henson's Ernie. That is the bad part about losing 'Journey to Ernie.' You always could guarantee they'd play an Ernie sketch afterwards. (old or new) They should do the same thing with 'Great Adventures.' It would be neat if after we saw the claymation B & E, we could see the puppet B & E doing something else or heck, even commenting on what they saw like they did with 'Sneak Peek Preview' back in the 80s.

Fairy

Reaction score
Hmm...Not sure about "look" alike, but sound alike. Occasionally, there would be an English accent or something, but it would still sound like Abby.
It's the mannerisms of her puppets that makes me see the same thing over and over. Like when Abby was shouting can-TEEN! with Cedric, the way her head went back and the way she would cock Abby's head after, it was identical to the flower's affect. Don't you think? So, you take someone like David, and let's face it, Jack sounds like Baby Bear, no question. But Jack and Baby Bear are portrayed and characterized completely and utterly differently, so when I see them, I truly see two characters even if the voices are almost identical. Leslie's characters I tend to see the same most times. I am not saying she's not talented, cuz dude, it's not like I can do what she does :smile:. But I do think her characterizations are very, very similar.