Zoe's age

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
the one thing I always say is that Grover would legally have to be at least 16 to get all those jobs he usually winds up falling into. Otherwise, there would have to be all these child labor laws crashing down everywhere he works.
I guess, but let's not forget about all kinds of other things that happen on Sesame Street that wouldn't really work out too well in that odd little place they call "real life."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Some sources cite that Grover is (written to be) four.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I don't really trust SST "ages" to be perfectly honest. Grover doesn't act like Elmo and Zoe and Abby. Ernie and Bert are, for all appearances, grown-up enough to live on their own. You don't see their parents dressing them or anything. I can believe that the characters TARGET certain age groups, even if they're not those ages themselves. Using simple language (for the most part) and being rather innocent doesn't make one a child. Only age makes one a child. Of course, there's always the concept of "mental age", but I personally don't like thinking that nearly every Muppet character on the show is maturationally delayed to such an unbelievable extent.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's not just SST mind you, so many shows that have "children" characters may be given a certain calendar age on the show, but often times act much more "grown-up" and precocious than their age would suggest.

D.W. from Arthur for example is four, but she almost acts like an eight-year-old, meanwhile Arthur and his pals are all eight, yet act more like thirteen or so.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Meh, that's what you get when you don't read the child psychology textbook :stick_out_tongue:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Personally, I try to avoid giving my characters a specific age, because it always seems that no matter what age they are, they always act older. I mean I do have characters with "ages", but other than that, I try to avoid it.

BEAR

Reaction score
I always thought Zoe was originally meant to be 3.

Also, I've been meaning to find out what is the deal with her new size? She is smaller than Abby now and she looks weird.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Bry. That smaller Zoe or "Homonculus Zoe" as termed by our own Drtooth was the puppet used when Zoe was the Dormouse or Mousey, The Mad Hatter's Helper in the DTV release Abby in Wonderland from last year. If you check the threads here and there, you'll find that she showed up at the panel discussion last January at William Patterson University. The talk was that this new Zoe fit Fran better so she'd use it in Season 40. Then we kinda came to the concensus that it was weird-looking. Following that, SST kinda agreed and said it wouldn't show up in the anniversary season, but that obviously didn't happen as evidenced by it showing up in this year's episodes and also being proclaimed as heedious. Maybe normal Zoe will be back for Season 41?

Muppet Frog

Reaction score
Well according to Martin P. Robinson's blog, they're using the normal puppet during the filming for season 41. Also, the normal puppet was used in guest appearaces in Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader, Good Morning America and CBS News.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well according to Martin P. Robinson's blog, they're using the normal puppet during the filming for season 41. Also, the normal puppet was used in guest appearaces in Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader, Good Morning America and CBS News.
Do you have a link to Marty's blog?