1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Zoe's age

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Muppet Frog, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Muppet Frog

Muppet Frog Member

Hey, is Zoe 2 or 3 years old because in her appearance on Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader, she said that she will be 3 years old in January?
  2. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Uh, if she said she's GOING to be three, that means she's two now, right?
    edit: Unless she's like Baby Sinclair, who skipped age two out of necessity. :p
  3. APRena

APRena New Member

Isn't her birthday technically in September?
  4. RedPiggy

Of course, we're also dealing with a toddler. Exact facts aren't their strong point ....
  5. muppet baby

muppet baby Active Member

That is a good point , i bet she will be 3 i could be wrong though also but i think that she will be three
  6. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

True that - she did refer to her birthday as being in "Jaminary" after all!

Seriously though, i think both Elmo and Zoe eventually got de-aged (made younger) than what each one started out as.

(Of course we all know by now how Zoe's also physically "grown down"! Hey maybe in a few more seasons we'll see "Fetus Zoe"!)
  7. muppet baby

muppet baby Active Member

i really have wondered that to if Zoe and Elmo have been made younger than when they started out i noticed that about Elmo especially Elmo:insatiable:
  8. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

You mean the current puppet isn't a fetus already? :D
  9. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Since Elmo is three-and-a-half, and since Zoe was initially conceived as visual on-screen couterpart for Elmo, I was always under the impression that she was around three herself.

But then again, the ages of the characters arent' ALWAYS consistant... even though for the most part, but not always.

Elmo became four in Cinder-Elmo; Big Bird was originally four-and-a-half when Caroll Spinney first made him a child, before changing his age to six; nobody knows the exact ages for either Bert or Ernie, but it's suggested that Ernie is a child from his "Doctor Ernie" bit where he mentions he still has to go through grade school, high school, college, residency, etc.
  10. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

the one thing I always say is that Grover would legally have to be at least 16 to get all those jobs he usually winds up falling into. Otherwise, there would have to be all these child labor laws crashing down everywhere he works.
  11. Gelfling Girl

Gelfling Girl Active Member

I guess, but let's not forget about all kinds of other things that happen on Sesame Street that wouldn't really work out too well in that odd little place they call "real life."
  12. D'Snowth

Some sources cite that Grover is (written to be) four.
  13. RedPiggy

I don't really trust SST "ages" to be perfectly honest. Grover doesn't act like Elmo and Zoe and Abby. Ernie and Bert are, for all appearances, grown-up enough to live on their own. You don't see their parents dressing them or anything. I can believe that the characters TARGET certain age groups, even if they're not those ages themselves. Using simple language (for the most part) and being rather innocent doesn't make one a child. Only age makes one a child. Of course, there's always the concept of "mental age", but I personally don't like thinking that nearly every Muppet character on the show is maturationally delayed to such an unbelievable extent.
  14. D'Snowth

It's not just SST mind you, so many shows that have "children" characters may be given a certain calendar age on the show, but often times act much more "grown-up" and precocious than their age would suggest.

D.W. from Arthur for example is four, but she almost acts like an eight-year-old, meanwhile Arthur and his pals are all eight, yet act more like thirteen or so.
  15. RedPiggy

Meh, that's what you get when you don't read the child psychology textbook :p
  16. D'Snowth

Personally, I try to avoid giving my characters a specific age, because it always seems that no matter what age they are, they always act older. I mean I do have characters with "ages", but other than that, I try to avoid it.
  17. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

I always thought Zoe was originally meant to be 3.

Also, I've been meaning to find out what is the deal with her new size? She is smaller than Abby now and she looks weird.
  18. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Hi Bry. That smaller Zoe or "Homonculus Zoe" as termed by our own Drtooth was the puppet used when Zoe was the Dormouse or Mousey, The Mad Hatter's Helper in the DTV release Abby in Wonderland from last year. If you check the threads here and there, you'll find that she showed up at the panel discussion last January at William Patterson University. The talk was that this new Zoe fit Fran better so she'd use it in Season 40. Then we kinda came to the concensus that it was weird-looking. Following that, SST kinda agreed and said it wouldn't show up in the anniversary season, but that obviously didn't happen as evidenced by it showing up in this year's episodes and also being proclaimed as heedious. Maybe normal Zoe will be back for Season 41?
  19. Muppet Frog

Muppet Frog Member

Well according to Martin P. Robinson's blog, they're using the normal puppet during the filming for season 41. Also, the normal puppet was used in guest appearaces in Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader, Good Morning America and CBS News.
  20. D'Snowth

Do you have a link to Marty's blog?