Rumor: Big Bird only in four Season 41 episodes

SSLFan

Reaction score
Again... doesn't BB only appear in that many episodes a season already? This year he was in about 7 episodes (plus 2 insert segments) and I thought that was the most we've seen in a while.
Well, IMO, he was featured quite well in Season 39. This past season however, it seemed that he and other characters weren't featured as much, only Elmo and Abby. While there's really not much an excuse for the absence of him and others, could it just be it's hard to write for certain characters nowadays? Like when is the last time we saw a new E&B sketch? But again, no excuse, especially if they can write an episode about Elmo & Abby riding their trycicles. :rolleyes:

The season won't premiere until late this year, so it's not the appropriate time to make this kids of assumptions.
Of course, that's why this is nothingmore than a rumor until proven.

I just sent a message to Sesame Workshop about the issue asking if this rumor is true and if Caroll is still performing the bird as we know it. I'll let everyone know the truth once I get the message.
Thanks. Please keep us posted.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, IMO, he was featured quite well in Season 39. This past season however, it seemed that he and other characters weren't featured as much, only Elmo and Abby. While there's really not much an excuse for the absence of him and others, could it just be it's hard to write for certain characters nowadays? Like when is the last time we saw a new E&B sketch? But again, no excuse, especially if they can write an episode about Elmo & Abby riding their trycicles. :rolleyes:
Ernie and Bert depends on what Disney is doing with the Muppets. They (Steve and Eric) may just not be available to perform the characters if they're filming more web videos or even that movie.

I understand Elmo's popularity and everything... but there's no call for him to be on every episode, especially when he seems bookeneded or shoehorned into the episode (like much of his appearances this year have been so far).

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
According to a youtube post, as mentioned by SpinneyBigBird1095, they say Big Bird is only to appear in only four episodes of the upcoming Season 41. I surely hope this isn't the case, cause it would definately seem like a new low for SW. It's almost seeming like they're starting to phase out BB along with other characters for that matter. Again, I hope this proves to be innacurate (though the user mentions he talked to Mr. Spinney himself), and hopefully Season 41 won't be as dissapointing as the last.

Any thoughts?
That actually doesn't surprise me that much. BB had very little airtime in season 38 as well. Still I find it hard to believe they'd phase out one of their most popular characters. But if Spinney actually mentioned it.... we'll just have to wait and see. I hope they're wrong.

Like when is the last time we saw a new E&B sketch?
BTW, I thought they did have a new E&B sketch this season, the one with the Dinger or something. I thought I heard that Frank would perform Bert in something new. Or was that one from a few years back? Just sort of confused there.

For all we know, that could only apply to street scenes. He could still be in some inserts. And maybe Carrol only filmed four episodes. Matt could've done Big Bird is some. The season won't premiere until late this year, so it's not the appropriate time to make this kids of assumptions.
I probably should read through the whole forum before editing, that might be a time saver there. Lol. Anyway, I kind of agree with the 'street scenes' thing. That was the case since BB had so little airtime a couple seasons back. He only appeared in a handful of street scenes, but he still showed up in inserts. I'm hoping that's the case here if that rumor is true.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
BTW, I thought they did have a new E&B sketch this season, the one with the Dinger or something. I thought I heard that Frank would perform Bert in something new. Or was that one from a few years back?
That was from 2006.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
For the record, it could very well apply to BOTH appearances in street scenes and inserts.

When Caroll's book was published in 2003, at that time he said that Big Bird did still appear in every episode, and looking back on seasons like 33 and 34, if BB wasn't in a street scene, then there was always an insert, whether it was JTE, or another insert.

But still, if it revolves around Caroll not being able to perform, and/or a paycut, then there's still the matter of Matt filling in. But it does sound more like they may be phasing out BB altogether to me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Phasing out Big Bird is a BIG MISTAKE. Elmo or no Elmo. Big Bird was there since the show's beginning (Ernie and Bert since the show's conception and test marketing stage) and Elmo just happened to fill in a lot of gaps in the 90's and keep an audience in the everyone and their mother in a cable network wants to do a kid's line up 00's. Big Bird went from the kid's guide to life on the show to the older brother to Elmo, when more and more well to do parents could send their kids to preschool, turning the show into a pre-preschool show with Elmo as the target age.

But if this means we'll wind up with 25 Elmo episodes (while he has all those annoying EW reruns that they can't get rid of if they wanted to) that'll just make things worse. Especially if we get more humorless junk like "Chris and Elmo go Camping" that will put anyone over the age of 4 to sleep. Elmo CAN be a good character if he's used as one. Problem is that he isn't... and what was once a cute little monster child is now an annoying Marty Stu in his own show.

But still, if it revolves around Caroll not being able to perform, and/or a paycut, then there's still the matter of Matt filling in. But it does sound more like they may be phasing out BB altogether to me.
What also would set off less Big Bird is the fact that Matt would also be unavailable if any more Muppet stuff comes up. After all, he's most of Jerry's TMS characters too.

Mupp

Reaction score
Very unfortunate news if its true. But I suppose its not the worst thing that could happen.

I somehow doubt that they would phase out one of their most famous characters, not to mention the first muppet that ever appeared on the street in the pilot episode.

Maybe I'm just trying to be positive (or practicing "blind faith" as D'Snowth calls it) but I just don't see them getting rid of Big Bird.

Its not like it would be easy for people to forget about him, his nest is in the vacant lot right behind Oscar's trash can!

The Sesame Workshop KNOWS that they would get tremendous negative feedback if they got rid of Big Bird.

If could very well be a matter of availability for the performers.

BTW...About that youtube user...Now, I'm NOT suggesting that this individual is not necessarily trustworthy, but it is possible that they misunderstood and have the wrong idea.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Elmo CAN be a good character if he's used as one. Problem is that he isn't... and what was once a cute little monster child is now an annoying Marty Stu in his own show.
Let us not overlook the fact too that Kevin Clash has a hand on how the episodes turn out, as he's a director, and co-executive producer, so naturally you know, he's definitely going to keep Elmo alive by any means necessary.

And I honestly don't mean to sound ugly or rude, but it DOES seem to me that it's kind of gone to Kevin's head just a bit - reading some of his anecdotes from his book, and even reading an excerpt from the 40 Years book, I can't help but think to myself "Gee, that's a little on the conceited side, isn't it?"
Mupp said:
Maybe I'm just trying to be positive (or practicing "blind faith" as D'Snowth calls it)
Again, I only use that in context of fans who automatically think any new project Disney annouces is going to happen, when they always inevitably shelf it anyway. I mean again, just because the company has a good name doesn't mean they have good business practices, and quite frankly, I just can't see how even the most dedicated of fans can take any news from Disney seriously after all they haveN'T done.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Again, I only use that in context of fans who automatically think any new project Disney annouces is going to happen, when they always inevitably shelf it anyway. I mean again, just because the company has a good name doesn't mean they have good business practices, and quite frankly, I just can't see how even the most dedicated of fans can take any news from Disney seriously after all they haveN'T done.
Off topic, but Henson didn't have all that great a batting average when it comes to the Muppets either. Otherwise we would have seen Muppet Haunted House, Muppet King of Denmark, the Next Muppet Movie, etc. etc. about now. heck, there's more progress with Disney's muppet project in the last year than 2 years of waiting for the Fraggle Rock movie combined.

zns

Reaction score
Phasing out Big Bird is a BIG MISTAKE. Elmo or no Elmo. Big Bird was there since the show's beginning (Ernie and Bert since the show's conception and test marketing stage) and Elmo just happened to fill in a lot of gaps in the 90's and keep an audience in the everyone and their mother in a cable network wants to do a kid's line up 00's. Big Bird went from the kid's guide to life on the show to the older brother to Elmo, when more and more well to do parents could send their kids to preschool, turning the show into a pre-preschool show with Elmo as the target age.
Sesame Workshop cannot do that. Is there any way we can contact someone at the workshop and find out what is really going on. Maybe we should contact Kevin Clash and see if he could help.

Also, I don't think Kevin is really as conceited about Elmo as people say. I'm sure he probably understands why fans are so uptight about Elmo these days.