Controversial Topics

Drtooth

Reaction score
There’s no magic wand for him to wave to fix everything. He’s President, not King. :attitude:
That's the problem. People are incredibly impatient. This isn't just stuff he inherited from the last guy, this is decades old problems like deregulation that leads to massive oil explosions, crashing banks, and cars with Twinkies for break pads. The fact of the matter is, this dude is in the wrong place at the wrong time, and he's such a mensch for taking the responsibility for everything.

Personally, as much as I disagree (and sometimes dislike greatly) with some of the critics, a LOT of what he's getting slammed for is pointless bull that bitter losers cherry pick. He swatted a fly. He fist bumps... egad. If you're gonna attack him, attack him on something MEANINGFUL.

The thing I really hate is the comparisons to Hitler. Now, how passing health care that may/maynot work is exactly the same as the wholesale slaughter of different races and ethnic cleansing is beyond me, and I'm shocked the Jewish Anti-Defamation league hasn't spoken a word. And yet, when people did the exact same thing to Bush (not saying anything, I disagree that there are parallels, but he DID torture prisoners at Gitmo) they were apparently the worst people ever, and they were fired from their teaching jobs.

Hate to disagree with you for once Drtooth, but it's no secret Palin's going to run for presidency in 2012... as far as the behavior goes, she's a diva; she's gotten a taste of the spotlight, and she just can't and won't get out of it, she wants the attention, and she wants the power.
The right, no matter how popular she is will NEVER let her in. Sure, the right wing masses love Yzma (now, there ARE parallels between those two... watch ENG and you'll see what I mean), but even they think she's a hick. Lemme just clue you in to what I'm thinking about....

Say you have a choice between a very high paying job doing nothing, and no matter what you do, you can never ever get fired. And even if there was a way that you'd lose the job, there's just so much money, you and your family would never have to work again. Now the other job, while it is a position of great power, has little pay, and no matter what you do, someone's breathing down your neck. it's high stress, and even people who were your best friends in time could despise you.

There's more money is blaming someone else, name calling, spitting and discrediting people than any position of power would give you. She has so many book and TV deals, she's like Paris Hilton. She NEVER has to work again, and she's only famous for being famous, and she gets money literally for existing. There is NO way anyone in her position would want to run the country. There's just too much money to be made without actually doing anything.

I curse PBS for running that puff piece on her months before McCain picked her as the "bitter feminist vote" candidate. Whatever liberal news slants we have always manage to shoot themselves in the foot... with a canonball.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
People go after him for eating the wrong kind of ketchup. They go after him for EVERYTHING. But the nitpicky little garbage that doesn't matter only serves to spend time defending everything you do instead of getting things done. Of course, if the last guy was caught eating babies with a side order of seals, you so much as said anything, and you were branded a commie. Funny how that works out, huh?
Oh, I agree. Everything is under the magnifying glass these days

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Here's a prediction.....BP will lose everything and file for bankruptcy because of the oil spill down in the gulf. :smile::concern::cool:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The thing that bugs me is the fact the same people who blame the president for essentially being at the wrong place at the wrong time are the same people who say the government shouldn't get involved and big business should clean it up themselves.

So essentially they're complaining that he's involved at all, and also complaining that he's not fixing it. Man... This is just getting on my nerves now. The banks fail, Toyota sells cars that kill us, Haliburton constructs a cheap rig that BP used and blew up, and they STILL hate the idea of regulation. Really... McCain LOST! Get over it! And if he won, they'd cover this up, and we'd be fighting in Iran 2 months into his presidency! Anti-Obama sentiment is a buhjillion times more shrill and counter productive than Anti-Bush sentiment. Stop listening to people who are PAID to tell you what to think and do actual research on this stuff.

But I digress.... Haliburton's hand in the matter keeps getting covered up. Very suspicious, considering they're the no bid contract to rebuild Iraq, which was the ONLY reason we invaded them. Their cut rate cement is the reason why the Big Dig tunnel collapsed. Look into THEM if nothing else. They're gonna get away Scott Clean!

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
People in general aren't too sure of the government because of it's ineffectiveness to get things done, as opposed to someone doing a normal job where they're expected to get things done or be fired. They see so much political bull being tossed and turned from both parties who act like 5 year olds throwing temper tantrums because they're not getting their way.

However, with that being said, the President should have stepped in earlier to shut people who think he should have got involved earlier. But you can't please everybody, and being the president of the United States fits in that mind set. However, I do think his press conference last night calling to stop drilling and find alternative resources of fuel is repetitve because he said that when he was running for the presidency, and every other politician has said the same thing but no one will act on trying to keep their promise of finding other resources.

I'm not sure how much of a role or if there is a role Halliburton is in on this?........Their name hasn't surfaced during this whole crisis. Could they be involved with money infested in BP....I wouldn't put it past them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
People in general aren't too sure of the government because of it's ineffectiveness to get things done, as opposed to someone doing a normal job where they're expected to get things done or be fired. They see so much political bull being tossed and turned from both parties who act like 5 year olds throwing temper tantrums because they're not getting their way.
I find the government not being effective is a lot of bull. If it wasn't, we'd all be speaking German right now (the ones of us who survived, that is) and we'd still be in the Great Depression. Corporations do LESS. They spend more money on PR than they do fixing the problem. Why, they even spend just as much on PR as they do discrediting critics. look at Toyota. They spent a fortune on commercials saying how great they are and how sorry they are that they put money above their customers that GIVE them the money. And what they were hiding behind their smiley faces was an internet campaign made to discredit the safety inspectors that brought them down, making them do the recall.

Sure, we can all say, I don't trust the government... but can we trust ANY corporation anymore? We've had toys with lead and even deadlier cadmium paints on them fro cut rate sweat shops over seas, we've had people investing on the misery and poverty of others, we have people who cut every corner possible to save money they could easily have made back anyway if they maintained a level of quality... and every time we try to say "Hey! Play fair! If you're playing the game of consumer capitalism, at LEAST think more of the consumer than money you already have in your pocket. Big Business IS the reason no one trusts the government. And making them play fair is communism? Homey don't play that!

But you can't please everybody, and being the president of the United States fits in that mind set. However, I do think his press conference last night calling to stop drilling and find alternative resources of fuel is repetitve because he said that when he was running for the presidency, and every other politician has said the same thing but no one will act on trying to keep their promise of finding other resources.
The naivety is that ANYONE can change the way we get energy. I want something besides oil, we all do. But we can't because big oil is BIG! they own our souls. Problem is, even if we DID have some plans to fix things, big oil will step in, buy a bunch of politicians, fund a bunch of radio talk loudmouths to bully people into voting for them, and put a stop to it. Why is everything movie so slowly, everyone asks? Because the politicians who vote against stuff ARE company men. Otherwise, health care wouldn't have taken a year to limp by with a watered down "at least its something" that barely passed and will likely be repealed. Big Business! They OWN us! Politicians that want to change this are powerless.

I'm not sure how much of a role or if there is a role Halliburton is in on this?........Their name hasn't surfaced during this whole crisis. Could they be involved with money infested in BP....I wouldn't put it past them.
We must remember what Haliburton is. It's a cutrate construction company that was owned by the last vice president. They do crappy, lazy, sloppy, dangerous work. They had a hand in the Big Dig fiasco, they're the reason we went into Iraq, and they almost moved to Dubai so they didn't have to pay taxes which would have paid for the war they benefited from. If they didn't construct the thing, then they at least supplied their cheap, shoddy products that made the thing collapse, as did one of the newly built tunnels.

Really, all this don't trust the government crap. If you don't trust them, you don't trust EITHER side. And you shouldn't trust people that are over their heads too.