Your Thoughts: Henson's Place DVD

dwmckim

Reaction score
Because even though there are lots of Classic Muppets in it, the ultimate subject matter is about Jim Henson and his works/career.

Of Muppets & Men, by contrast, is a documentary very specifically focused on the making of The Muppet Show and goes to Disney.

I'm sure Henson/Disney (not to mention SW) had just as much fun figuring out who owned what as we do!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Admittedly, I was slightly disappointed to see that there were no interviews, or insight from Caroll, considering Big Bird appears in the documentary, but we did get some very nice interviews with Jane, Frank, Lord Grade, Jerry Juhl, and Joan Ganz Cooney to name a few.
I wonder if maybe Carol Spinney didn't want to be interviewed. Though he was intervied in that behind-the-scenes footage obviously shot in the 1980s that was included in the 40th anniversary DVD. I'm convinced a Sesame Street documentary was planned in the early 1980s, though I don't know for sure.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm convinced a Sesame Street documentary was planned in the early 1980s, though I don't know for sure.
There must have been, because I don't believe they would've just randomly shot such interviews like that back then.

I liked Roscoe Orman's anecdote about how he had to adjust and get used to playing off of the Muppets, because at first he kept looking down at Caroll when he was doing a scene with Oscar, or down at Frank when doing a scene with Grover.

Likewise, Sonia Manzano said during the 2001 Biography special that most actors instinctively compete with the Muppets because they don't quite know what they're doing in the scene with them, but then it later dons on them that they're the straightmen in the scene to the surrogate children that the Muppets represent.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know this, because I've been to fye, Best Buy, Walmart, etc, and none of them had it in stores, they were all available exclusively online, so I had to order it... BUT, I'm glad I did, because it was worth every penny in the insecure world of online transactions.
(snickers) Best Buy! Look... I've been saying this for years. If you want the latest movie release on Blu-Ray, by all means go to Best Buy! I still have nightmares from that time I was looking for a specific DVD I was giving to a friend for Christmas and sifting through hundreds of copies of Stuart Little 1&2 gift sets. And that was back when they WANTED to carry DVD's instead of the latest fadgets.

But fye... that one's surprising. I've been to them, overpriced as heck by the way, and found stuff that was actually LONG out of print! They actually have a lot of hard to find stuff there you can't find at any other DVD supplier, outside of online orders.

I got mine as a gift for Christmas, but sadly didn't manage to get to see it yet. I got a lot for Christmas, and bought a fortune of stuff cheap after. I'm still working through the 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo I bought last month. And only because I preemptied watching everything else until I finished it.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I do really like FYE and not only didn't find them to be overpriced but also had some of the best prices out there (might be a store-to-store thing...or maybe i'm thinking more of their used stuff). I used to work in Tempe and we had long lunch breaks so i often spent them browsing the nearby FYE and found so much wonderful stuff at total bargains and even stuff i couldn't find after years of searching elsewhere!

Drtooth

Reaction score
The prices are either exceedingly high and close to SRP (not even indie retailers sell stuff for SRP) or they're on permanent sale. I kept meaning to go back to FYE to get more Fraggle Sets (most of them were around 16 bucks at one time), but there aren't really many in my area anymore (there's like 2)... and I don't think the one I can get to had them. However, I was able to get a Mom Futurama figure for 3 bucks. They have a decent Japanese cartoon selection, but way too pricey for me. Best Buy will have some of them cheaper, but that's if you can find them at all. I usually buy random merchandise at FYE over videos.