Quick question

SSLFan

Reaction score
Would you agree that if more episodes were produced, then there would be a greater chance that more characters, including obsecure ones, would be appear in some episodes? You could only write so much for certain characters, like you couldn't possibly have 130 episodes all featuring Elmo in a storyline. At some point you'd have to find a stretch of different characters to write for. So if more episodes were produced, do you think we'd see more of Snuffy, Alice, Natasha(though she will appear in Season 41), Grundgetta, etc.?

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Well, in 40, didn't we get at least one episode without Elmo, Abby, etc. in the "street scenes" storyline? I'm sure most of the episodes will probably be centered around these modern "stars" of the show, but there certainly will be a greater chance of other characters showing up. (Although I'd really like to see Lulu show up in some new episodes.)

StarrFilter

Reaction score
It's not that easy... There's only enough funding for X amount of episodes. And obviously, if they're only gonna produce, let's say, 25 episodes, they're not gonna focus on peripheral, obscure, nearly forgotten about characters. They're gonna focus on the favorites of the target audience, kids ages 2-4 (2-6 if you wanna push it). That young audience LOOOOOOVES Elmo and Abby. Sesame Workshop is not gonna waste filming on characters that "we" wanna see.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really REALLY hate how PBS has been treating SS as of late as far as funding and episode production caps go. And fewer episodes DOES mean more Elmo... though, honestly, I'd still say if they made 130 episodes a year, we'd STILL see at least 125 Elmo-centric episodes. Personally, I resent to seeing an Elmo-centric episode, Elmo-centric segments capping it off with Elmo's World. All in the same episode. If you have an Elmo story, then lead it into a segment with any character besides Elmo. And even without Sherlock hemlock and all the obscure ones only we care about, we still have quite a few characters.

The problem I have with Elmo/Abby storylines is somehow they feel inorganic. Like they have to purposely make stories with those characters because they're both popular. Abby and Elmo work okay together, but Abby works best with almost all the other characters (Oscar and the girls specifically... there is potential about her magic making Telly worry about how her magic will work), and there was a LOT of something special between Elmo and Zoe that Elmo and Abby don't share. Maybe the friends since childhood couple factor.

I don't see why certain other characters that aren't used often can't be snuck into single episodes or plots. They managed to get long lost Guy Smiley into an episode last year... and they even managed to give quite a few forgotten or classic characters cameos in this last season. I really want them to continue that. Just have them in crowd scenes.

But I still say Grundegetta NEEDS at least one episode a season, if nothing else. She is one of the few female Grouches, and her play with Osckie is legendary. I don't think we should deprive kids of that. Alice, however... I just want to know where the heck she's been all this time.

StarrFilter

Reaction score
I agree with everything you said. But alas, Sesame Workshop isn't making this show for "us"

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Well, we're not technically the target audience. The kids come first.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree totally. Kids apparently love Elmo, and SW is trying to get kids to love Abby (I think they've been pretty successful... Elmo's climb to popularity was slow at first, but they wanted Abby to be instantly popular). And if that's the factor keeping the show afloat, well, I reluctantly accept it as well.

I could care less about certain obscure characters being on the show in new stories. But I still think this season's hidden gem characters should continue on. After all, AM's or not AM's, they had to have rebuilt Guy Smiley, Sherlock Hemlock, Biff and Sully among others... I'm not insisting we use the characters in new storylines, but they'd be just great to fill out crowd scenes... maybe even say a line or two.

Above all, I really want to see Elmo pared with characters that work best with him, and the same with Abby. Their dynamic is missing something. And if she was able to do something magical by mistake that REALLY got to Elmo the same way Rocko does, we'd have some nice tension. Abby's magical mistakes have a way of annoying the adults and certain other characters. I think that's potential that needs to be tapped a little more.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I agree totally. Kids apparently love Elmo, and SW is trying to get kids to love Abby (I think they've been pretty successful... Elmo's climb to popularity was slow at first, but they wanted Abby to be instantly popular). And if that's the factor keeping the show afloat, well, I reluctantly accept it as well.

I could care less about certain obscure characters being on the show in new stories. But I still think this season's hidden gem characters should continue on. After all, AM's or not AM's, they had to have rebuilt Guy Smiley, Sherlock Hemlock, Biff and Sully among others... I'm not insisting we use the characters in new storylines, but they'd be just great to fill out crowd scenes... maybe even say a line or two.

Above all, I really want to see Elmo pared with characters that work best with him, and the same with Abby. Their dynamic is missing something. And if she was able to do something magical by mistake that REALLY got to Elmo the same way Rocko does, we'd have some nice tension. Abby's magical mistakes have a way of annoying the adults and certain other characters. I think that's potential that needs to be tapped a little more.
Amen to that, I mean we do need to see some of the old school characters from time to time on the show. Also I do love me so Rocko and ELmo moments.

However with Abby's mistakes, I mean can anyone understand that she is a little fairy child that is trying to learn her own unique way the way we humans functions.

I mean with that at least some people could try to help her out in learning. :wisdom: