Katy Perry song banned from Sesame Street Season 41

Should Katy Perry's song been cut from Sesame Street?

• Yes

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • No

Votes: 109 79.0%

• Total voters

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I just want to say at my school, the weekly news TV thing talked about the contraversary. That was the highlight of the school day for me!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't think Katie Perry should have been cut because of her outfit. It really wasnt' all that bad. But the song and her acting were horrible so I am glad that it didn't make it for that reason.
I thought her acting was okay. At the very least, it was better than her acting in that SNL sketch (though the poor acting could have been intentional).

BradFraggle

Reaction score
When I first saw the clip (before the controversy) I, like the producers of the show, didn't see anything wrong or even concerning with Katy's outfit.

Maybe I'm desensitized. Maybe I'm not as concupiscent, hung-up, overprotective or hypersensitive. But I really see nothing wrong with the outfit.

Does Disney get complaints because of outfits like this, this or this walking around their parks? Are the parents that are upset over Katy's appearance also upset over these costumes and protesting Disney as well?

While I'm sadden that Sesame Street caved to the outcry from the online fringe, I understand why they did what they did. They don't need a group of upset people (even a small group of wackos) getting all riled up and presuring their congressman and making trouble for public television. ("I don't want my tax dollars going toward exposing my kids to that 'smut'!")

Both Katy and Elmo (and Sesame Workshop) seem to be on good terms and taking the whole silly situation with a smile. I hope Perry and Sesame work together in the future (and just wears something less controversal).

And for the record (since it came up before) Sesame doesn't provide wardrobe. They want the celebrities to be themselves (and the way Katy dressed was right in line with her regular look/style -- just run a Google image search for Katy Perry and you'll find that her Sesame outfit is in the same style as her normal garb, if not even more modest than normal). Ricky Gervais blogged about the wardrobe conditions when he was on the show:
Ricky Gervais said:
Got an email today from Sesame Street saying that as I'm appearing as myself I can wear my own clothes, but to;

1) Please avoid black or white tops.
2) Please avoid logos, stripes and bold geometric patterns
3) The muppet Grover is blue and Elmo is red so please avoid these colors.

The yellow jump suit it is then.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I thought her acting was okay. At the very least, it was better than her acting in that SNL sketch (though the poor acting could have been intentional).
Since I read your post a few minutes ago, I checked out the sketch and I thought it was hilarous! Much more than I expected. It made some good pionts too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
"I don't want my tax dollars going toward exposing my kids to that 'smut'!"
"...But I wouldn't mind my tax dollars going to pumping up the economy of an ungrateful foreign power we wuz buddies with by killin' innocent mothers and babies!"

Yeah. We have to protect our morals. :rolleyes:

The one bright spot in this whole thing, that's one less reason for the neo-con(vict)s to steal tax funding from PBS and put it into the hands of the very same banks we were mad at bailing out.

They realize how small their contribution is... right?

ErnieBertGonzo

Reaction score
I haven't seen the video yet, but I can already tell you, that's crud.

Thank you, YouTube commenters. :rolleyes: :mad:

Convincing John

Reaction score
Y'know...I'm surprised no one has mentioned these clips yet. They were made years before the Katy Perry sketch. While there is no cleavage, you can't deny they are somewhat suggestive in their own way. There's no Muppet character for the kids to be distracted by. It's as if Pepe the King Prawn filmed these sketches. Katy showed a lot less leg in her song, too...five times as less, in fact.

Convincing John

mummytomb

Reaction score
I watched SS as a kid. I liked boobs. still do. I watched waiting for one of them to pop out. i'm sure i would have done the same at age 5.

MuppetsFan4Life

Reaction score
I saw the video for the song this weekend and I couldn't get the song out of my head! It was so addicting (but then again, what in Muppets isn't addicting) and I kept singing it and singing it. It's a really catchy song, and I don't really know what the big problem is! I think that whoever made the decision not to show it is too afraid to expose children to such clothing and "exposure", but in all honesty, it's not as bad as they made it out to be.