Why did this NEED to be made?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Who else did the palm-in-the-face slap that I did when the ceramic frog told the mushroom he looked like a "Fun-Gi"? This is such digital vomit! :grouchy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Just for fun, someone should ask Dr Tooth about his opinion on modern cgi vs older cartoons, censorship in broadcast anime, and Republicans. Discuss! :3
Heh... I'm actually quite lenient on censorship in anime. This is the US after all, and we have such idiotic regulations when it comes to animation period. Kid's shows especially. And I've seen topless girls in kid's anime shows. You can't even mention death in a kid's show. And I'm the only one not whining about Blue Popo.

Who else did the palm-in-the-face slap that I did when the ceramic frog told the mushroom he looked like a "Fun-Gi"? This is such digital vomit!
Whoever wrote that line needs to pay for his crimes against humanity. Really.

Ok, just saw the trailer...wasn't as bad as I thought. At least it didn't star talking animals. I usually hate cgi cartoon movies, but there was some things here I thought were clever.
I'd rather see talking animals. How come we don't get movies with fully anthro'd animals anymore? Like Disney's Robin Hood or Great Mouse Detective? If they made a Romeo and Juliet movie, a tasteful one with anthro'd characters, I'd go and watch it. But this seems like a tasteless pile. The gnomes are there to be "quirky" for the sake of being quirky. And this could have even been a clever movie at some point... but it gets bogged down with cliche ridden drivel and intelligence insulting jokes straight out of a 2nd grader's joke book. And that toad thing. Even Jarjar Binks was capable of quiet subtle comedy better than that. If I saw something like that in real life, I'd feed it to a snake.

Why :smile: would say she's a disgrace to his race.

And really, if Touchstone is still from Disney, I'd say they found a good loophole in Pixar's arrangement. And I don't think I'd like the fireworks that would erupt from Pixar.

Really... this film isn't even so bad it's good. If it was, I'd actually enjoy it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
little tidbit I found out:

The film is the original idea of Rob Sprackling and John Smith who sold the spec script to Disney through Rocket Pictures. Initially, the film was going to be produced by Disney Feature Animation, but was shut down by its new chief, John Lasseter, after the Pixar acquisition. Miramax Films picked up the project and guided its production until the division closed down. The film will now be released under the Touchstone Pictures banner on February 11, 2011.
John Lasseter is a WISE man. I think I have more respect for him now than any.

Mupp

Reaction score
John Lasseter is a WISE man.

Indeed!

I saw the trailer today and I am really not interested in this film at all. It should not have been made.

Oh well.
On the plus side, thanks to John Lasseter, Disney Animation Studios has made quality their top priority again.

And if this Gnome film bombs, at least its a Touchstone release, so it won't be directly associated with Disney. Disney Animation had nothing to do with it.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I wanna smash my face into my keyboard. I am so sick of 3D movies. Not everyone has perfect eyesight. 3D discriminates against people who wear glasses XD But while wearing glasses and watcing a 3D movie doesnt really work, I dont understand why they are pushing something thats been around since the 50s (or before?) trying to make it seem all new and exciting. And its not just movies. Its video games and even tv (whats with those 3d tvs anyway? I dont understand them. Do they make anything you watch 3d or...what...). Whats next? 3D music? Stick it in your 3d cd player and watch the soundwaves come at you?

In the end, its a gimmik that draws stupid people in to pay money for krud-tacular movies, thus fueling the cycle.

Nick22

Reaction score
I wanna smash my face into my keyboard. I am so sick of 3D movies. Not everyone has perfect eyesight. 3D discriminates against people who wear glasses XD But while wearing glasses and watcing a 3D movie doesnt really work, I dont understand why they are pushing something thats been around since the 50s (or before?) trying to make it seem all new and exciting. And its not just movies. Its video games and even tv (whats with those 3d tvs anyway? I dont understand them. Do they make anything you watch 3d or...what...). Whats next? 3D music? Stick it in your 3d cd player and watch the soundwaves come at you?

In the end, its a gimmik that draws stupid people in to pay money for krud-tacular movies, thus fueling the cycle.
APPLAUSE! *PENGUIN!* :zany: nicely said! :smile:

Mupp

Reaction score
I wanna smash my face into my keyboard. I am so sick of 3D movies. Not everyone has perfect eyesight. 3D discriminates against people who wear glasses XD But while wearing glasses and watcing a 3D movie doesnt really work, I dont understand why they are pushing something thats been around since the 50s (or before?)
There are many theaters that offer a 3D film in 2D as well. So customers are often given a choice.

Apparently people are not going to movie theaters as much as they used to. I think that's one of the reasons why 3D is "hot" again. I guess the newer technology with the glasses is another reason.

Drtooth

Reaction score

I actually don't mind 3-D myself (and yes, you CAN wear the glasses over your glasses. I've done it before... even wear glasses when using a Viewmaster)... it's just that it is indeed a gimmick, one that temporarily saved the movie theater's butts, but a gimmick nonetheless. Problem is, I actually like the films that are slightly enhanced by 3-D, but not so much as they'd take away from the movie, nor add anything all too special that gets lost in translation if you have to see it in 2-D. Pixar has been good with this. Up was just as breathtaking in 2-D as it was in 3-D... I will say I'm kicking myself for not seeing Dreamwork's Monsters Vs. Aliens in 3-d... but I didn't think much of the film until after I saw it. I really enjoyed Despicable Me, but it had way too much stuff that had to be seen in 3-D (the Roller coaster scene... the minions' capering at the end of the film before the credits).

But 3-D or no 3-D, the problem in question is the over-saturation of REALLY bad, off brand CGI movies. This movie is a deep dark new low. The garden gnome angle is quirky for the sake of being quirky and doesn't even have an organic quirky vibe to it. The jokes come straight out of a 2nd grader's joke book, and all and all, even the trailer looks like it's supposed to be a joke. "Based on a play by William Shakespeare... with music from Elton John." It's like every 20 seconds watching the trailer there was something to be more and more disgusted by.

Again, I hope releasing this via Touchstone doesn't sour Disney and Lasseter's relationship. That's got me worried most of all.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I have a big head to begin with and my glasses add just enough to make the cardboard red/blue ones dont stay on my face XD And I enjoyed Coraline in 3D because it wasnt like BAM IN YOUR FACE. It just gave it some depth (even if was a sickening shade of magenta, you didnt notice after a while).

But back to the state of CGI movies. I think maybe its "easier" to use CGI to pump movies out faster for the the purpose of just making money. It seems like studios dont care about putting their heart and soul into the movies they make and instead rip off someone else so they dont have to use any kind of intelligence to write their own story...if you get what I'm trying to say

Drtooth

Reaction score
But back to the state of CGI movies. I think maybe its "easier" to use CGI to pump movies out faster for the the purpose of just making money. It seems like studios dont care about putting their heart and soul into the movies they make and instead rip off someone else so they dont have to use any kind of intelligence to write their own story...if you get what I'm trying to say
They don't. And somehow, people are wising up to it. There's so many cheap little kiddy flicks being produced that some of them might as well go straight to video. Of course, the only way this pile of various unpleasant things will fail is if there's another, BETTER family film out there at the time of the release. If not, this will be a runaway success FOR being the only family movie out at the time. It happens.

This looks lowest of the low quality... there's nothing redeeming about this film, and I can't stand when they put plastic morals in these things to make it a "feel good" movie. If I want socially redeeming morals, I'll watch Fat Albert, Arthur, Doug, Jacob Two-Two, and the 100000000 other projects that were done much better than this. All I can picture is a forced happy ending where all the characters are dancing around to "Don't go Breakin' My Heart."

I mean, I can stomach half the slop flashy cheap to make cartoons... but this breaks the camel's back. Mind destroying is a complement. This doesn't even look "so bad it's good" funny. And I LOVE so bad it's good funny. If Toei's Dracula anime movie were released on home video, I'd snatch it up just to make snide comments about it. I'd love to get some more B-Horror movies too. But this is just fail on every single level possible. Even if those Brazillian studios that made "The Littlest Robot," "The Littlest Panda," "the littlest Ratatouille," "The Littlest Up," and all that bargain basement near sighted granny bait were to make "The Littlest Gnomes" it still wouldn't be half as bad as this.