Sesame Street teaches girls about Self-esteem...

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I enjoy the song alot! I said in comments on it, but I get real Kingston Livingston/Roosevelt Franklin vibes from it. Plus, it's great to see a segment without the main Muppet cast once and awhile.

Drtooth

Reaction score
My sentiments exactly, Oscarfan. At first I was baffled by the obvious... uh... who is this character exactly? bit.. but it's a very cute, very important skit. It's just a shame that it took people SO long to notice. Sesame Street has ALWAYS been about that, and the reaction is almost like it's a new idea. Roosevelt Franklin sure, but how about the skit where Ernie was depressed until Bert told him about how special he was, then Ernie does the very same for the audience. And this is real Mr. Rogers style organic self esteem from the heart... not that "You spotted something that was behind my back and fairly obvious! Great job!"

There's so much mystery and depression hounding everyone these days and skits like this really need to come forth and let themselves be known. kids NEED to feel good about themselves. And not just when they're younger. After relentless tales of bullying, people finally are trying to put a stop to it (better late than never) and the best way to do that is to give kids a nice ego boost so they don't later on despise themselves later in life because of said bullying.

Such a powerful moment from a Muppet... and not even a named regular character either.

Mupp

Reaction score
There's so much mystery and depression hounding everyone these days and skits like this really need to come forth and let themselves be known. kids NEED to feel good about themselves. And not just when they're younger. After relentless tales of bullying, people finally are trying to put a stop to it (better late than never) and the best way to do that is to give kids a nice ego boost so they don't later on despise themselves later in life because of said bullying.

Such a powerful moment from a Muppet... and not even a named regular character either.
I agree.

I think its great that Sesame Street is doing this.

Drtooth

Reaction score
...Stupid spell check turned my misery into a mystery.

Miseriously. Now I feel mysterable! :sing:

Lil0Vampy

Reaction score
:smile: I think it was a wonderful little sketch. Definately harks back to the days when moments like this were more common.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I was upset at first. Sesame's Muppet characters span all cultures, but they're orange, green and purple...not white or the on-the-nose brown color of this recent puppet. I first thought that it set a bad precedent, but Sesame is nothing if not innovative. I think this is a good rare exception to the rule for purposes of this particular anthem and it's being so widely felt by youngsters who need to hear its message. This is what Sesame Street is all about. :super:

Mupp

Reaction score
I was upset at first. Sesame's Muppet characters span all cultures, but they're orange, green and purple...
Not entirely true....
There was also Kingston Livingston III.

There are exceptions to every rule.

If this Muppet girl had not been brown and had the same voice as she does, some people would have complained....
Perhaps that was one of the issues with Roosevelt Franklin.

At any rate, its nothing to get upset over.:smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Not entirely true....
There was also Kingston Livingston III.

There are exceptions to every rule.

If this Muppet girl had not been brown and had the same voice as she does, some people would have complained....
Perhaps that was one of the issues with Roosevelt Franklin.

At any rate, its nothing to get upset over.:smile:
Forgot about Kingston, but the rest...um....like I stated in my post. It ended up a good thing and you reiterated my statement back to me that a rare exception to the rule could be a good thing. Not sure if you digested my entire paragraph before reacting.