We Have a Picture of Walter AND MORE NEWS!

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
i really hope Pepe is in it

walter looks kinda bland but ill wait to see him in action

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sure Muppet Studios goaded them into using Pepe to some extent. It would be a shame if he wasn't in it at all, especially since... let's face it... he pretty much saved the Muppet movies he was in.

But on the PLUS side, even if he's not featured that much, we're pretty much guaranteed Rowlf and Scooter in probably major roles. And Uncle Deadly. Was he even in a Muppet movie?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm sure Muppet Studios goaded them into using Pepe to some extent. It would be a shame if he wasn't in it at all, especially since... let's face it... he pretty much saved the Muppet movies he was in.

But on the PLUS side, even if he's not featured that much, we're pretty much guaranteed Rowlf and Scooter in probably major roles. And Uncle Deadly. Was he even in a Muppet movie?
We know Bill Barretta will very much be a part of the film with Rowlf, The Swedish Chef, Dr. Teeth and other classic Muppets, but I really want to see some Pepe.

It appears that Segel's preference for only classic Muppet Show characters has translated into the recent photo shoots. We get greats like Scooter and Rowlf, but Pepe's out. I really wonder how much he will be featured. I love the little prawn, but wouldn't mind our old favorites giving more screen time than him. Pepe's been propping up the Muppet brand for a while. He deserves both recognition and rest.

beaker

Reaction score
A few of set photos here....

*** Possible Spoilers***

http://www.slashfilm.com/set-photos-the-muppets-new-movie/
Very unexpected news! Im surprised noone has commented on this yet. That is a pretty interesting spoiler though. I honestly didn't think the JHC company would be so involved in this production, least not to that level.

I like the idea of the Muppets as "has beens", perhaps a nod to the pop culture notion that the Muppets are old nostalgia. Again, from these pictures its really putting the meta spin on things.

Anyone else seen these pics and have a take on em?
The idea of Walter helping bring the Muppets back from obscurity is pretty intriguing. It's a shame tho, that if Sesame street is legally "Muppets"(tm), and Disney is using the JHC studios as "the Muppets Studio", that Fraggle Rock couldnt have been bought by Disney. Or that we wont see Sesame or Fraggle cameos.

Mupp

Reaction score
...Anyone else seen these pics and have a take on em?
The idea of Walter helping bring the Muppets back from obscurity is pretty intriguing. It's a shame tho, that if Sesame street is legally "Muppets"(tm), and Disney is using the JHC studios as "the Muppets Studio", that Fraggle Rock couldnt have been bought by Disney. Or that we wont see Sesame or Fraggle cameos.
I commented on this earlier, I said it was cool. :cool: :smile:

I think that its for the the best that there are no Sesame Street cameos. Again, it would just confuse things and blur the line too much.

Too many people already assume that The Muppet Show characters are just supposed to be cute and cuddly and solely for kids.
There needs to be a distinction between the two sets of characters.

beaker

Reaction score
I commented on this earlier, I said it was cool. :cool: :smile:

I think that its for the the best that there are no Sesame Street cameos. Again, it would just confuse things and blur the line too much.

Too many people already assume that The Muppet Show characters are just supposed to be cute and cuddly and solely for kids.
There needs to be a distinction between the two sets of characters.
Oh I just meant comments on its significance or relation to the whole concept of the Muppets as "has beens". You're right, that is a particularly irksome situation, not being able to shake the perception of being kiddy fodder, or old nostalgia. I'm curious to see how far they go with the "has been" idea, as well as how long of a leash Disney gives the normally R rated Segal.

Mupp

Reaction score
I'm curious to see how far they go with the "has been" idea, as well as how long of a leash Disney gives the normally R rated Segal.
I'm assuming that the film will be rated G or perhaps PG.

I actually think its an interesting idea to have the "Muppet Studios" down on its luck.

The set dressing looks great!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Oh I just meant comments on its significance or relation to the whole concept of the Muppets as "has beens". You're right, that is a particularly irksome situation, not being able to shake the perception of being kiddy fodder, or old nostalgia. I'm curious to see how far they go with the "has been" idea, as well as how long of a leash Disney gives the normally R rated Segal.
PG, definitely. But they did somehow get a G rating for the rest of the theatrical films, but I think Disney want to shoot for a PG to attract more young adults.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
PG, definitely. But they did somehow get a G rating for the rest of the theatrical films, but I think Disney want to shoot for a PG to attract more young adults.
Well, G is different than it used to be, too. Especially with the advent of PG-13. The "scary moments" and some of the guns / shooting in the earlier movies would probably have them flirting with a PG too.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Speaking as someone who has seen this Gonzo puppet performed in person I can tell you that Dave doesn't seem to have any problem with him. In fact, he seemed more alive behind the weirdo than ever. Dave really seemed to be a fan of the new eye mechanism and also a nose mechanism that allowed his nose to squeeze in towards his mouth with the squeeze of a ball. I would assume that these are the reasons for the weird new design. I'm not a fan of this puppet version either... but it could look quite a bit worse.
That nose mechanism's not new - it's been part of previous Gonzos (including the one Beaker loves which is the one Dave had with him when he was in AZ) just a gag that's used sparingly.