I'd like to own a Fraggle

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Snaps are cool, although in my experience you want good ones and don't want to use the really cheap ones. They will sometimes come apart at the worst possible moment!

lotusoftheleaf

Reaction score
That video was awesome!

I'm still debating whether I should have someone build a puppet for me or not. I guess you could say that I'm wembling. :coy: I think this is something I'd like to learn how to do, but I don't even know how to sew so I'm probably less skilled than most new builders here.

I was looking around on eBay for Fraggle Rock inspired puppets and thought this was pretty neat. If only I had that kind of spending money...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Professional-Fr...ultDomain_0&hash=item4154f3f202#ht_500wt_1143

Animal31

Reaction score
That video was awesome!

I'm still debating whether I should have someone build a puppet for me or not. I guess you could say that I'm wembling. :coy: I think this is something I'd like to learn how to do, but I don't even know how to sew so I'm probably less skilled than most new builders here.

I was looking around on eBay for Fraggle Rock inspired puppets and thought this was pretty neat. If only I had that kind of spending money...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Professional-Fr...ultDomain_0&hash=item4154f3f202#ht_500wt_1143
I can understand your frustration, but that's just an outragious price for a puppet, and not even a screen used or an original studio puppet at that. If purchasing is the route you wish to go, there are people just as talented out there that I can guarantee can do something similar for alot less.....don't give up!

CoOKiE

Reaction score
If you want my vote, try making one. I suggest projectpuppet.com for patterns if you're new. I find puppet making to be really fun, and i believe you may get hooked on having different colored characters.

I'm not positive if having your own Fraggle (not any used on the screen) built is legal... but you could just make your own.

I'm actually in the middle of redoing my first hand-rod, puppet. The first time i made him, it was felt. So, performing this character was ALWAYS a pain. Hes a fun character, but not comfortable to perform. Felt doesn't stretch, so movement didn't look good. Also, i didnt use another sheet of fabric for the inside of the mouth, so the cardboard would tear up when my hand got sweaty.

I'm only mentioning this because you can learn from my story and so you know that the first time you make a puppet, it may not be the best. BUt everytime i build another character i'm trying different things. Some i learned and some i made up on my own. Have fun with it though and DO NOT quit if the first comes out bad. Some people feel that they can't do better after seeing their first and I've experienced that they get better!

Puppetainer

Reaction score
And while I can't say for certain that ebay puppet looks VERY much like the work of a shady seller who has frequently sold knock offs of various licensed characters for similar amounts. I'd steer clear. Jarrod Boutcher or any number of other outstanding puppet-crafters could hook you up with an awesome Fraggle-like puppet for far less, and you wouldn't have to worry violating copyrights.

rtgentry

Reaction score
Andrew Agee who is puppetmancan here on these boards has made some original fraggle characters as well. Get with him.

Wembleyfan

Reaction score
Then again, you can make your own. I have made dozens of puppets, so with a little practice, make perfect.

beakerfan76

Reaction score
My first puppet (And so far, only puppet) is a Fraggle styled one (Kinda based off Boober, but with some differences like hair and skin color and the type of hat). He's not the greatest piece of work, but hey, you can't get any worse.

If you do plan on making your own, I suggest doing a little homework first (Look for patterns, supply lists, suggestions from puppet makers, et cetera), and if it doesn't turn out like you planned at first, no biggie! Just learn from your mistakes or experiment.

Most of all, if you can, be resourceful. The aforementioned puppet was made using a pink Snuggie, if that can give you any indication. It works, and it's nice and toasty during the winter, but most muppet makers will use antron fleece, or if you can't find any, non pilling fleece works. Foam may be used for making the head and body, while ping-pong balls work well as eyes and ostrich feathers do wonders for hair. But like I said, use what you can and if you absolutely must buy something, go ahead and do it.

Puppetainer

Reaction score
I agree with beakerfan. But I want to see some photos of the puppet you made beakerfan! I especially like your note about materials. I love working with Antron and do when I can, but I've used a number of different materials including an old magenta robe that my daughter gave me. Here's 2 puppets that came from that robe, and I have enough to make at least 1 more!

Not the highest quality photos but you get the idea. Just have fun!
:big_grin: