Your Muppet mistakes

Dearth

Reaction score
His argument? "But she has a NEST! Why would a BOY have a NEST?"
That's actually a very convincing reason... and one that I've never considered.

The expression on my face right now is exactly like the kid in Stand By Me who says, "That's weird. What the heck is Goofy?"

(I may have paraphrased that to make it more kid-friendly. Can't recall for sure.)

Alex

rexcrk

Reaction score
First lemme say that I've ALWAYS been a Muppet fan, but it wasn't until around 2001-2002 when I became an absolute fanatic lol.

So anyway, this was before I was really in the "Muppet loop", when Very Merry Muppet Christmas aired I was unaware that Frank Oz had stopped working with the Muppets. What can I say? Eric does a great job with Frank's characters! But anyway I remember the part when Yoda shows up and thinking "That's so cool, because Frank Oz DOES play Yoda in the Star Wars movies!" :coy:

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
If Gonzo were on this forum...
"Well, we can't ALL be perfect."
:~D
Like the funny gonzo face!

Sorry about that, Gonzo...I didn't mean it THAT way...it was a metaphor...

...okay, it WASN'T a metaphor.

It must've been partly because you were as big as me when I was about 4 or 5.

dwmckim

Reaction score
First lemme say that I've ALWAYS been a Muppet fan, but it wasn't until around 2001-2002 when I became an absolute fanatic lol.

So anyway, this was before I was really in the "Muppet loop", when Very Merry Muppet Christmas aired I was unaware that Frank Oz had stopped working with the Muppets. What can I say? Eric does a great job with Frank's characters! But anyway I remember the part when Yoda shows up and thinking "That's so cool, because Frank Oz DOES play Yoda in the Star Wars movies!" :coy:

Don't feel too bad about that one. That was the first big Muppet project where Eric really made his debut, so if you're a Muppet fan who doesn't really follow all the "backstage" stuff, and you're not one who really pays attention to the credits, a lot of people probably didn't notice the change. I read reviews of VMX from professional reviewers who talked about Oz playing his characters in the film who apparently never bothered to check the credits.

ilovemusic

Reaction score
Wow, really, I have a few big mistakes...
I thought that Zoot was called Sax and Mahnamahna Violence.
Let me explain, when I saw the clip 'sax and violence' for the first time, my English wasn't very good, I was just eleven and didn't know that 'violence' is something with fighting. (I could give the dutch word but nobody cares and nore would understand, so...)
And because Zoot played the sax, I didn't even know it was the same in English, I thought he was called Sax.
Also, the first days of my 'being muppet-fan' I could'nt remember the name of Animal, I just knew he had a name, something wild or so. I called him Beast....
And Beaker, I called him Retort. jeah, I know, because of the dutch subtitles (really annoying, they translate muppet names there, like Boober of the Fraggles is called Bobby... and Wembley is called wimmy...)

You see, al of my mistakes are because of my (not very good) English and my bad memory... :smile:

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
Here's some of my old mistakes.

Grover and Gonzo = Same Puppet, different head and hands. I thought this because both have extremely long arms for the most part, heck, longer than Kermits or Elmos.

Dr.Teeth and Ernie= Same Puppet, different head and hands. Didn't help matters when I saw the pilot special of Ernie... Had the same shrit as Dr.Teeth.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I used to think that Sweetums was a bad guy, mainly due to his scenes in The Muppet Movie and The Great Muppet Caper, where he's seen running, yelling, and suddenly bursting through things. Even though he obviously wasn't bad before he started chasing the car. I also thought that the other mosnters were bad guys as well.

I thought that the monsters who look like birds (Boppity, Gloat, etc.) were "monster birds" (a name I made up myself for those types), and also thought that Fletcherbird was a monsterbird, due to the fact that he was a full-body Muppet and the monsters were full-body (and yes, I was aware that Big Bird, Snuffy, and Bruno weren't monsters, but they're from Sesame Street, not The Muppet Show).

I was unsure as to whether the full-body and hand puppet versions of Mean Mama were meant to be the same character or not. Ditto with blue-beaked Boppity and yellow-beaked Boppity. Not really a mistake, just something I wasn't sure of.

I thought that Thog's name was Donnerd. Mainly due to a line in Lorretta Switt's "I Feel the Earth Move" which I also mistook; When she said "Darloing, I can't stand it, when you look at me that way..." I thoguht she said "Donnerd" instead of Darling. And thought she was referring to Thog. Also due to that number, I thought he was a giant all the time. When watching that in "Rock Music with the Muppets" and then seeing "School's Out for Summer" later in the video I was surprised to see Thog be so much smaller, and wondered if he coudl grow and shrink on command (hmm, maybe that'd explain why the new Thog looks so much bigger in those on-set photos of the new movie).

Back when I didn't know Timmy Monster's name, I thought that Timmy's name was "Fruit Pain", and thought he got a pain in his brain whenever he ate fruit. I don't know why I thought all this, just made it up to myself (well, I thought the "fruit" parts were because hsi lips looked a bit fruity).

Thanks to Sweetums only being introduced as a "Jack" and not by his name I thought Sweetums was named Jack. When I first noticed the name "Sweetums" listed in the credits to The Great Muppet Caper I thought "Sweetums" was Lips' name, until I noticed the Sweetums name in The Muppet Movie as well, and wondered who Sweetums was. I first learned his name was Sweetums in The Frog Prince (but even then for awhile I thought maybe his name was Jack Sweetums).

At a young age I thought that Statler and Waldorf were judges, mainly because I heard my mom refer to them as judges. I don't know if she saw the Diana Ross episode and thought that was their regular job or what.

I thought that Traveling Matt (and maybe Boober) was performed by Jim Henson.

I thought that the compilation videos from Playhouse Video were full episodes, only without the opening, as opposed to videos that featured clips from the show.

When I first noticed that the credits for The Muppet Movie listed "Floyd Pepper" I thought that "Pepper" was a seperate character from Floyd (they really need to refer to Floyd''s full name more often). In my mind I thought maybe Pepper was Doglion, due to his brief line at the beginning (also, I thought Doglion's horns were devil horns).

dwmckim

Reaction score
Back when I didn't know Timmy Monster's name, I thought that Timmy's name was "Fruit Pain", and thought he got a pain in his brain whenever he ate fruit. I don't know why I thought all this, just made it up to myself (well, I thought the "fruit" parts were because hsi lips looked a bit fruity).
LOL! That's hilarious! You should totally make your own character for something called Fruit Pain! I love stories like this (what Muppet fans fanwanked when they were kids) I know i made up some names for characters in my head until i knew what their real ones were - Janice was "Lip Lady" til i learned her name. Gloat always reminded me of a vampire monster Kermit and i eventually took to calling him Hymee because he reminded me of a Jeckyl and Hyde version of Kermit. When i got Of Muppets and Men and saw the sketch design of the opening theme arches and what Muppets would go where, the picture was written so small and with unclear handwriting so i thought "Blue Frackle"'s name was Blurkle.

Until i got Of Muppets and Men, i thought Nigel's name was Maestro due to whenever someone would look to the orchestra pit and say, "Music, Maestro" - and even if the backstage scene in the Danny Kaye episode where everyone's rushing on stage for the Cheek to Cheek number it sounded like Piggy was saying Maestro instead of Nigel.

Thanks to Sweetums only being introduced as a "Jack" and not by his name I thought Sweetums was named Jack. When I first noticed the name "Sweetums" listed in the credits to The Great Muppet Caper I thought "Sweetums" was Lips' name, until I noticed the Sweetums name in The Muppet Movie as well, and wondered who Sweetums was. I first learned his name was Sweetums in The Frog Prince (but even then for awhile I thought maybe his name was Jack Sweetums).
I can even do you one better on that one! This one's courtesy of a grade school friend who had this mad "Miss Piggy"-like crush on me - she used to INSIST that Sweetums' name was Jack because of that same scene in TMM and when i tried to correct her, she would say, "No - he tells the others his name is Jack Jaw!" (She heard the line as "Jack not name - Jack JAW!")

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I can even do you one better on that one! This one's courtesy of a grade school friend who had this mad "Miss Piggy"-like crush on me - she used to INSIST that Sweetums' name was Jack because of that same scene in TMM and when i tried to correct her, she would say, "No - he tells the others his name is Jack Jaw!" (She heard the line as "Jack not name - Jack JAW!")
Until I watched the movie with closed captioning turned on I couldn't understand what he was saying there; I was thinking "Jack not (something), Jack JUMP!"

It seems like it wasn't a very common misconception among fans, or at least not a widely-reported one. I remember once reading a review of Muppets From Space that listed several characters who make appearances, listing "Jack" (but not Sweetums) among them. Of course that same review also incorrectly stated that it was the first time since Jim Henson's death that Kermit was not performed by Brian Henson (as we all know Brian never performed Kermit).