Shalom Sesame: Passover

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
They showed the rest for a full week, I forget which ones... but I tell you what I missed, and I'd almost pay the fortune to get the DVD... Jerry Stiller. Of course, I didn't appreciate or even know him then (and I only knew his wife through ALF)... but Jerry Stiller makes EVERYTHING grand. King of Queens, Heavyweights, Teacher's Pet, even those Capital One commercials... I want to see that movie where he plays an angry director. I can't even remember the name of it or if it's on DVD or not.

As far as the Passover episode, well, seeing a list, I know they showed it out of order. They waited specifically for Passover, which was the first day School vacation week in my state, so that one aired first. The others followed for a week. I think I flipped through one day and caught part of the Telephone Rock of the Alphbet Telethon... sound off of course.
Ah, well the only Shalom Sesames I've seen are a few in the 1990 set of shows (basically besides the Passover one, the ones that don't have Oscar). I, too, would buy the box set as well had it come at a more-affordable price. I can't help but wonder how many Sisu has actually sold... surely enough to have enough interest to make a new set. :stick_out_tongue:

But seriously though, the first time I saw Shalom Sesame I was 10. Seeing all the inserts in half-English/half-Hebrew threw me through a loop at first, but I sort of got used to it. I'm sure though what a frightful kid I was when I was younger, it would have freaked me out a little then.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But seriously though, the first time I saw Shalom Sesame I was 10. Seeing all the inserts in half-English/half-Hebrew threw me through a loop at first, but I sort of got used to it. I'm sure though what a frightful kid I was when I was younger, it would have freaked me out a little then.
Turns out I was creeped out of dubbing completely at that age (either as a result of this or not, I can't tell)... and it took a few years to get over it. What ALSO drove me mad was... remember that Episode of Animaniacs where the opening was completely in French and COMPLETELY off key? yeah, that was SUPER jarring, and I thought I went mad at the time.

But what it all comes down to is that I missed a lot of fun stuff because those dubbed bits bugged me (though i remember thinking "Wash Your Hands before you eat" was absolutely funnier in Hebrew) and I refused to watch the rest of the series as a result.

That said, they should have known their limitations... multiple syllabic translations sound BAD when forcibly sung off key and off rhythm to fit into the song. The German co-production actually Completely rewrites the tune when they translate songs. I heard one of the Arab ones does too, and they completely redid The Alligator King with completely different music, more common to their traditional music.