Sesame Street Spoofs coming to DVD July 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'd much rather see "Letter B" on this than "Hey Food", but eh, beggars can't be choosers. Hopefully the DVDs I plan to sell will get me some dough for this!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'd much rather see "Letter B" on this than "Hey Food", but eh, beggars can't be choosers. Hopefully the DVDs I plan to sell will get me some dough for this!
Letter B was included in the video Count It Higher: Great Music Videos from Sesame Street. I'm pretty sure it's still available on DVD, though it seems to be hard to find.

We don't know that it won't have multiple Beatels parodies, though it might be a bit much to have two of them.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'm not saying it from a collector's point of view, I just enjoy "Letter B" better than "Hey Food."

Drtooth

Reaction score
I doubt that'll be included, but I will be happy if it is. Or did you list that as a parody that featured Elmo?

Besides that, Elmo has been in the following parody sketches:
  • Monsterpiece Theater: Me, Claudias
  • Monsterpiece Theater: Hamlet
  • Monsterpiece Theater: Anyone's Nose
  • Super Morphin' Mega Monsters
  • Elmo Cousteau
  • Pride
  • Don't Know Y
  • Outdoors
  • Dancin'
  • D-Dance

So there is a bit of Elmo to choose from (though most of it was included in either the 40th anniversary set and/or "Best of Elmo 2").
I'd rather them not use all that many song parodies with celebs doing their own songs. Often times, they're just... just self serving and not all that pleasant to watch. I really hope Outdoors is EXCLUDED from the set (but it will probably be there)... I mean, it wasn't funny and I'm really not a fan of Jason five Consonants mashed up together in his last name. Katy Perry's bit would be great, because it's at least so acknowledgment of the skit... but I'd rather see the Muppets do the parody music around here.

zns

Reaction score
We'll also be getting "Gone with the Wind", if I'm correct.
Which "Gone With the Wind" do you mean? The one with Kermit from "Monsterpiece Theater", or the one with Guy Smiley from 1969?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the images of Cookie are from the original into from the sketch. I could be wrong, but that's what I recognized.
If you can identify a speciffic Monsterpiece Theater sketch just by looking at an ordinary still of Alistair Cookie in the usual set, with nothing speciffic happening (i.e., he doesn't hold a shoe or a doll, characters from the featured story aren't in the living room with him, etc), then you must have an amazing talent!

I watched the original introduction for Gone with the Wind a few times, and can't quite tell if that's it. I also watched the intro for The King and I and can't tell. And I watched a few other introductions, couldn't determine if it was any of those. Maybe it'd be easier if I printed the cover and looked at it while watching. But I can determine a number of segments that it ISN'T. It obviously isn't Me, Claudias or Upstairs, Downstairs (because of the different sets), but I can also tell it's not Chariots of Fur, The Sound of Music (I'll be surprised if that gets a commercial release, since it not only uses a licensed song, but a licensed version of that song), The 39 Stairs, or The Horse Whisperer. But we've only got two more months and a week.

I did notice that each segment with stills on the cover is represented with three images each. But we get three images from The King and I and three images of Alistair Cookie, which either means it has more than one Mosnterpiece Theater sketch (which it should), or that one sketch is the only one represented with more than three images.

Another thing I noticed: The cover has four rows of "filmstrips" with still images. The two in the center only show images from clips shot in HD, while the two strips on the end show full frame clips. I guess that is a wise choice.

I was saying previously that I hope this leads to a trend of two-disc releases, but the logo gives me a bit more hope. At the top, it says "Best of Sesame Street", with "Best of" above the usual Sesame Street logo, and "Spoofs! Vols. 1 and 2" below. On the spine, we see the Sesame Street logo, and next to that just "Spoofs Vols. 1 and 2". No "best of" on the spine, and the Sesame Street logo is pretty much always on a DVD spine, making it look like the title is just "Spoofs!". This looks like a good possiblility, annual or twice-annual two-disc "Best of Sesame Street" releases. I hope I'm right in my predictions.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
It's been confirmed that "Born to Add" will be on there, and images from "Hey Food" are on the cover. I don't think either of the How Now Brown Cow segments are parodies, so I doubt they'll be included.
I was thinking of those songs as being "New Wave" style parodies in general, like how Weird Al Yankovic sometimes does songs that parody a song style more so than any particular song. But I guess that might be stretching it...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You know, it's too bad Weird Al Yankovic still hasn't been on the show. An appearance by him would have been perfect for this release (he did appear on Square One TV, though not in a parody). I doubt it'll happen but it'd be great if they got Weird Al to host this release.

zns

Reaction score
When do you suppose we can get a full run-down of the content? My guess is probably when the first review comes out, but we'll have to wait and see. We've got less than three months so we can manage the wait (hopefully).

Status
Not open for further replies.