Will there be a big Muppet gathering this year?

Katzi428

Reaction score
OK...not to sound like an idiot. But what's D23?:confused:

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Well thats why I was saying it should piggy back on an event already going on. Like D23, or those screening events where performers show up with their signature muppet. Noone ever talks about organizing fan gatherings in various cities, yet there are continually these Muppet related events...always wondered why that is.
I think because running a fan event is very expensive to do if the fans are doing it on their own. The Rocky Horror Picture Show fans have conventions all year around in various locations in the U.S. and in London but its' all from the individual organizers' pockets. They don't get any financial backing from 20th Century Fox who distributed the film, any appearances from people from the film they have to pay on their own. It's quite a big undertaking.

All the Muppet related events that have happened in recent years, are run by the Jim Henson Legacy, and the folks at Henson.

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
OK...not to sound like an idiot. But what's D23?:confused:
It was a big disney convention in '09 that included many muppets appearances, news, and the announcement of the new movie, which was name "The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made!" at the time. It also icluded a number of announcements for upcoming projects including many which did happen (e.g. The Muppet Kitchen with Cat Cora, more virmups, etc) and some that still have yet to happen (e.g. A muppet halloween special, TMS season 4 on dvd, Muppets Revisited CD, and even more...). You can find out more at http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/D23_Expo.

Hope that helps! :smile:

TSSD

Reaction score
To add to bananasketch's post, there's also gonna be another one this August, which is the one that they're talking about meeting up at.

TikiColadas

Reaction score
Arlington?
Arlington? Cool! Do you know of any other Muppet fans in the Dallas area? We should all meet up one day and do something fun.

Also, check out our 3rd year convention STRIP - The Dallas Web Comics Expo on 8-6-2011 at the Southfork Hotel in Plano, TX. You are officially invited! :smile:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I know a few people, but none of them from this particular forum. I think you're the first who seems to live anywhere close to the definition of "close by", LOL.

beaker

Reaction score
I think because running a fan event is very expensive to do if the fans are doing it on their own. The Rocky Horror Picture Show fans have conventions all year around in various locations in the U.S. and in London but its' all from the individual organizers' pockets. They don't get any financial backing from 20th Century Fox who distributed the film, any appearances from people from the film they have to pay on their own. It's quite a big undertaking.

All the Muppet related events that have happened in recent years, are run by the Jim Henson Legacy, and the folks at Henson.
Right, that's why I was saying just a planned meet up in various cities. Every time a muppet film fest/performer q and a happens in a city, Im surprised there isnt an effort to have a fan gathering backeast or elsewhere.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Right, that's why I was saying just a planned meet up in various cities. Every time a muppet film fest/performer q and a happens in a city, Im surprised there isnt an effort to have a fan gathering backeast or elsewhere.
Well I think it's hard for people to organize something that far in advance, because in a lot of cases from what I've seen going to past Muppet related events, that sometimes people don't get tickets until the last minute, etc. I know before the Sesame Street 40th anniversary panel in NJ, a few folks from here met before hand at a local pizza place, but it's a hard thing to organize.

TikiColadas

Reaction score
I know a few people, but none of them from this particular forum. I think you're the first who seems to live anywhere close to the definition of "close by", LOL.
Oh well. We need more Dallas Muppet Fans! Should we start a local chapter?? :stick_out_tongue: