2011 Muppet Movie plot officially announced

outerelf

Reaction score
yeah bit of a plot point there - in the TV christmas movie Pepe lists it as a historical landmark so the bank cant take it away from them.

Although I have heard that this movie is supposed to follow on from the original movies - erego that event never happened or at least hasnt yet?
I believe it was stated in some interview that it takes place as if the Muppet Theater/the Muppets themselves haven't been around since Jim Henson died.

scottishpiggy

Reaction score
I believe it was stated in some interview that it takes place as if the Muppet Theater/the Muppets themselves haven't been around since Jim Henson died.
thanks for confirming, that is good to hear, only drawback - it builds up my hopes somewhat that this will match the originals, and thats some pretty big shoes to fill :-/

outerelf

Reaction score
Well, continuity has always been a loose thing in the different muppet shows. The first three movies were 'How they met' movies, along with a spinoff childhood story in Muppet Babies.

But you are right about something; it does bring your hopes up, but from the looks of it, it will be great. We're promised dark moments, funny moments, muppet moments, and even if it doesn't match the originals, it can still be fun I think.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, continuity has always been a loose thing in the different muppet shows. The first three movies were 'How they met' movies, along with a spinoff childhood story in Muppet Babies.

Loose? It doesn't exist is more like it. Nor does it need be. Though, to be fair, VMX DID reference The Muppet Movie, and I wouldn't be surprised if this mentions any of the other movies. But troop of actors is basically all that fits. I choose to ignore the Muppet Kids book series. Scooter not being able to read? Gonzo having parents? No... just...just no.

As far as continuity goes, TMM doesn't fit in with any movie except VMX, GMC doesn't fit in anywhere, and they state that it IS a movie and they're playing characters... MTM doesn't fit in with anything but Muppet babies, if the entire series plays as a what if... nothing fits in with the show except VMX, unless you take Kermit's "This is approximately how it happened" line in TMM. And MFS and revelations that Gonzo was an alien have been disavowed.

scottishpiggy

Reaction score
, unless you take Kermit's "This is approximately how it happened" line in TMM. And MFS and revelations that Gonzo was an alien have been disavowed.
i think that was the whole point of kermits line, as Jim probably knew he wanted to make more. :stick_out_tongue:

And Gonzo being an alien - oh how i mourned that - Jim was asked if he was an alien years back in an interview, and he said "hes a whatever". I will never forgive disney for that movie. Just trying to cash in on muppets tonite, which again, I hated. Replacing kermit with clifford? puh-lease. :grr:

Duke Remington

Reaction score
And Gonzo being an alien - oh how i mourned that - Jim was asked if he was an alien years back in an interview, and he said "hes a whatever". I will never forgive disney for that movie. Just trying to cash in on muppets tonite, which again, I hated. Replacing kermit with clifford? puh-lease. :grr:
Correction: Disney did not make "Muppets from Space". Columbia Pictures did.

scottishpiggy

Reaction score
Correction: Disney did not make "Muppets from Space". Columbia Pictures did.
apologies, didnt really realise this although didnt disney own the muppets at this stage? r Also - do you actually work for disney? every time i say something that is negative about disney you jump all over me.
Oh and FYI nothing you will say will change my opinion on what disney has done to the muppets,. Ive followed them my whole 29 years and have seen the quality of movies and/or merchandise go down the drain.
Irrelevant to that howeever, is the fact that jim clearly stated gonzo was a whatever not an alien.
Im not against disney as a whole - im against them using the muppets purely for profit and not giving a toss about fans. As they say in the simpsons movie : "im a mascot of an evil cooperparation"
No doubt youll correct that too though.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I just finished re-watching The Muppet Movie, and can already see a lot of cool connections from that movie to this one. Gonzo's plumbing, for example (I did not realize before that he wore that cute tap-hat for almost the entire movie), Miss Piggy's ring, the Rich and Famous contract, etc.

It got me all excited and goosebumpy to see the new movie!

I can't wait to see them OUTSIDE of a studio and spending time on songs (without constant comic interruptions) again.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
apologies, didnt really realise this although didnt disney own the muppets at this stage?.
Disney didn't own them yet..this was the last theatrical Movie to come out before Disney bought them in 04

Also - do you actually work for disney? every time i say something that is negative about disney you jump all over me.
dont think to hard on Duke....which im sure you dont like most of us pass by, he seems to go after anyone who says the slightest negative comment on anything Disney, its kinda bad Trolling

Im not against disney as a whole - im against them using the muppets purely for profit and not giving a toss about fans.
this is my part of have to disagree with because Disney has shown some instances that they do cater to the fans other wise we wouldn't have this movie, and would only have the occasional tv guest appearance and Muppet vision 3D plus at the end of the day no matter who owns them its all about the profit that's what company's do

scottishpiggy

Reaction score
this is my part of have to disagree with because Disney has shown some instances that they do cater to the fans other wise we wouldn't have this movie, and would only have the occasional tv guest appearance and Muppet vision 3D plus at the end of the day no matter who owns them its all about the profit that's what company's do
ok, i accept that disney cater to fans in the sense of muppet vision 3D , I guess its more disspointment than anythng at how much care used to go into it, matched with how much care there is now. :skeptical:

For example, I first visited muppet 3d when I was 12. I got a miss piggy, which was amazing quality
I visted again at 14, and got a bean bunny
On both these occasions the shop at the back of muppet vision 3d was entirely muppet stock. Videos of everthing ( like a tale of a bunny rabbits picnic, to muppet babies) loads of tshirts (this was when the muppets were doing film poster paradies) and it was all set in the happiness hotel backdrop.

When I went back at 25, the illusion was shattered. What was once a purely muppet store, was now mainly mickey, with a few shaudily made muppet toys that didnt look like the quailty id had previously. The clothes were all kiddie size - not an adult shirt made. All toys were made for preschoolers or the very young. :eek:

I went back again at 27, where i got my wonderful rug, and some adult tshirts had come back out, but by this point it was pretty unrecognisible from every other mickey mouse shop in the park and the muppet produce was only on 3 shelves in a huge expanded store. However, other products - such as my kermit handbag, (or purse) were so badly made that the handles broke off aroung 7 days after purchasing (convieniently enough AFTER id left the US) :grouchy:

Had I not had the very good fortune of visiting back when I was 12, I probably wouldnt feel as strongly.

And again, the disney store in the UK has a lot to blame too. I was thrilled to hear muppet merch was on the go, but, when I actually saw it - the quality was beyond poor. Kermits all mushed up, piggys with huge noses - they looked like knock offs!

I guess its just because all the toys I grew up with were fisher price / henson were such amazing quality that im disillusioned.

Im glad disney are bringing them back, BUT lets not forget this was not disneys idea. Segel took it to disney for the green light. (or am I wrong? not too sure lol)

And I know all people go looking for profit, but somehow I just seem to miss that when it comes to Jim - he was driven by passion, not profit. Yes we all need money, but I couldnt ever see him being as a tycoon of anyway.

I guess its just down to personal taste, but i could post some picks of quality then vs now that might help.

And another thing - muppets holding company still release quality products (such as my addidas miss piggy trainers which I sadly have only recently lost as the age and smell meant I couldnt keep them) so i dont understand why disney just make poor quality products. Especially when disney owned things - like mickey, toy story etc have such great quality.

It gives the impression that the muppets are kinda an afterthought, and that breaks my little muppet daft heart.