Why people dislike modern Sesame Street

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think the show needs to bring back the classic clips from way back in the 70s, 80s and maybe early 90s.
They can't, it's an unwritten rule with them to keep the show from looking "dated".

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
They can't, it's an unwritten rule with them to keep the show from looking "dated".
It's not been helping them. They're not the only kid on the block anymore. There are many kids shows more popular today and frankly nothing is making SS separate from the pack.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Part of the reason is the format. Back when it was the commercial-like format, we could get around 30 inserts per show. Then, when they changed it up in the mid 2000's, we'd get around 16-ish. Now, we get around 10, and part of those are the long "shows" in each episode.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think the show needs to bring back the classic clips from way back in the 70s, 80s and maybe early 90s. I also think the street scenes need to be longer and at least last the whole hour. I do think Elmo's World needs to go, I used to watch it, not anymore! The show needs to make room for something else. I respect Kevin Clash as a performer, but I think he needs to expand a little bit more with other characters other than Elmo (I kinda have a love-hate thing with him. I don't like him, but I don't hate him)
The classic clips are GONE! Okay... we can see them online, in video compilations, basically everywhere but the show itself. They're basically everywhere, and SW has done it's darnedest to make fans happy outside of the show. Closest I can see are remakes of sketches, but that always angers everyone, even though, let's face it, they're still better than half the new stuff.

No, my beef is with the quality of the show itself. It wants to be there DESPERATELY, even the writers want to do something... it's just... it's like they can't. Like they're stifled. Either by the format, parental groups, some higher up, the fact that 90% of children's programming is like dumbed down on a curve or something... Somehow the format works for kids and it was the highest ratings they had for a while (Go fig), and kids get antsy when an Elmo's world that wasn't on a hundred billion times isn't on specifically at a certain time, like they're Rainman or something...

They painted themselves into a corner, and they need to sit in that corner to survive for some reason...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The classic clips are GONE! Okay... we can see them online, in video compilations, basically everywhere but the show itself. They're basically everywhere, and SW has done it's darnedest to make fans happy outside of the show.
And it's because they insist on keeping those clips "outside of the show" that my children won't be watching the show. :wink:

SSLFan

Reaction score
The classic clips are GONE! Okay... we can see them online, in video compilations, basically everywhere but the show itself. They're basically everywhere, and SW has done it's darnedest to make fans happy outside of the show. Closest I can see are remakes of sketches, but that always angers everyone, even though, let's face it, they're still better than half the new stuff.

No, my beef is with the quality of the show itself. It wants to be there DESPERATELY, even the writers want to do something... it's just... it's like they can't. Like they're stifled. Either by the format, parental groups, some higher up, the fact that 90% of children's programming is like dumbed down on a curve or something... Somehow the format works for kids and it was the highest ratings they had for a while (Go fig), and kids get antsy when an Elmo's world that wasn't on a hundred billion times isn't on specifically at a certain time, like they're Rainman or something...

They painted themselves into a corner, and they need to sit in that corner to survive for some reason...
Still, I'd love to see Elmo's Backyard replace EW. It looks far more interesting too, lol.

And it would be great to see Munchin' Impossible on the show as well, as a "sometimes" segment of course, possibly alternating with Super Grover 2.0.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Part of the reason is the format. Back when it was the commercial-like format, we could get around 30 inserts per show. Then, when they changed it up in the mid 2000's, we'd get around 16-ish. Now, we get around 10, and part of those are the long "shows" in each episode.
You see! That's why we can't have nice things.

Seriously, that's why we lack the classic skits. There's literally NO WHERE to put them. Maybe the letter/number stuff, but I couldn't see them bringing any of that back. Seems like only 6 or so years ago, we had skits dating back as far as the 70's mingling with Journey to Ernie and the Count's pipe organ. Now, the only stuff that goes in is stuff from the 90's... but you gotta figure, some of that stuff is almost 20 years old!

Still, I'd love to see Elmo's Backyard replace EW. It looks far more interesting too, lol.
Elmo's Backyard is a better segment because he INTERACTS! He talks to the tree, he talks to a squirrel, he talks to a bug. Not an imaginary audience.

I know certain things are the way they are and will never change back, but I have to admit, even I am a little fed up with Sesame Street trying to clone Nick Jr. I mean, Nick Jr. shows (more current ones, anyway) SUUUUUUUCK! They suck so bad... except maybe Yo gabba Gabba and Wow Wow Wubzy... but Dora and Blue ruined kid's television.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This may or may not have to do with the discussion, but I think i may have come to a conclusion for another reason people dislike modern SST... the street itself... it's so "busy" anymore.

I mean, let's look at this historically: in the old days, what did the street consist of? Two main structures (123, and the tenement building), and a secondary structure (the carriage house). That's it... yes, there were locations: Gordon and Susan's apartment, Hooper's Store, the Fix-it-Shop, Oscar's can, Big Bird's nest, Ernie and Bert's place, etc, but the street had a small number of these locales and a small number of structures where you could basically easily find where everything was at, aside from those three structures, everything else was basically painted backdrops.

Now, there's NUMEROUS secondary structures and locations have made up the street: Elmo's apartment, a community garden with additional back-window apartments surrounding it, the subway, the aging abandoned Furry Arms and Finder's Keepers cobbled together nto a dead-end alley around Big Bird's nest, a flower shop, etc... it's hard to keep up with all of this locations and such for people who were only accustomed to being familiar with Fix-it-Shop, Hooper's, and 123.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Well, much like New York City, every street has tons of stuff on it. And there's so many views from each place that there's always something when you look up.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
This may or may not have to do with the discussion, but I think i may have come to a conclusion for another reason people dislike modern SST... the street itself... it's so "busy" anymore.

I mean, let's look at this historically: in the old days, what did the street consist of? Two main structures (123, and the tenement building), and a secondary structure (the carriage house). That's it... yes, there were locations: Gordon and Susan's apartment, Hooper's Store, the Fix-it-Shop, Oscar's can, Big Bird's nest, Ernie and Bert's place, etc, but the street had a small number of these locales and a small number of structures where you could basically easily find where everything was at, aside from those three structures, everything else was basically painted backdrops.

Now, there's NUMEROUS secondary structures and locations have made up the street: Elmo's apartment, a community garden with additional back-window apartments surrounding it, the subway, the aging abandoned Furry Arms and Finder's Keepers cobbled together nto a dead-end alley around Big Bird's nest, a flower shop, etc... it's hard to keep up with all of this locations and such for people who were only accustomed to being familiar with Fix-it-Shop, Hooper's, and 123.
I agree with you that I think it seems too busy, but not in the same way. I think it seems busy in that there's no underlying connection anymore so things just seem to come and go. The older Sesame street always seemed to have a main story point with the smaller clips showing up in the middle. This way, everything stayed connected but things changed enough to hold your attention. Now, it seems that even if there is an over all theme, they'll do something and then immediately move on to something else and never go back. It seems to give it kind of a disjointed feel in my opinion.