2011 Muppet Movie plot officially announced

Drtooth

Reaction score
Interesting, considering that even Jim backtracked on that one...And if they are gunna be apart, I'd rather believe they never married than that they got divorced or separated. Don't get me wrong, I too wish that they were married because frankly the other stuff is getting boring, BUT I just don't see how people can take that part of the movie as real and in the same breath claim that Gonzo isn't an alien or that Scooter wasn't the EM's road manger. Nothing in the movies can be said to be real or not real except out of character moment...(Kermit and Piggy fighting by the duck pond) or interviews (which are the 'real life' Muppets) but even then they'll just do something to be funny.
Cartoon/classic character marriage is a tricky thing. Unless characters were already married or introduced as a married couple, they usually never are. Maybe in a fantasy sequence, non-canonical project... but never for realz.

Like Mickey and Minnie... they've been an unmarried couple since the 30's, and there's no connecting them together now. Other than Mickey's Christmas Carol, they never even played a married couple. The the strange case of Popeye and Olive... though there are some skits where they were about to get married or something, they never officially were.... then came a strange comic book, barely licensed in which they were married, but it was disavowed by the copyright holders AND Popeye's fan base... EVEN THOUGH 10 years earlier there was a cartoon series where they WERE married and had a kid. of course, EVERYONE disavows that.

On the one hand, Kermit and Piggy being married leads to the end of the caustic relationship, but on the other hand, I don't know if I want to see them completely lovey dovey or in some sort of dysfunctional marriage.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
On the one hand, Kermit and Piggy being married leads to the end of the caustic relationship, but on the other hand, I don't know if I want to see them completely lovey dovey or in some sort of dysfunctional marriage.
Another way to end the caustic relationship is to use the jokes they used to use that weren't so insulting. :wink:

Randall Flagg

Reaction score
To Dr Tooth: Where are tv shows(non HBO/Showtime/premium) looking more like movies? Yes, they have bigger budgets, explosions, epic storylines. But look wise? Still looks like tv.
Many tv shows these days look like movies, actually.
I've recently been catching up on "24", and it definitely has a cinematic look to it in terms of cinematography, pacing, etc.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I encourage everybody to wait for this weekend's ComicCon before speculating on the marketing plan and what they're letting drip out until their blitz!

They've done nothing wrong yet and nobody's landed. I don't have any news on the happenings except the reports that the Muppets were supposed to have a panel this year. That's still happening, right? There's nothing more obnoxious in film promotion than early over-saturation.

Look at it like this. Pirates, Cars and Pooh are out. The majority of Disney's attention for the rest of the year will now go to the Muppets! It's coming. Most people know it. That's perfectly on track for now.

It's not like the mainstream public is unaware of the "Muppets" movie.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I told you, I don't even hear it. :wink:

I did hear Piggy call Kermit "hubbie" at the 30th anniversary special though, hehe.
Yeah...that one actually DOES poke holes in my theory...but SHHH you!

beaker

Reaction score
I thought Disney wasnt showing much at Comic Con, and instead was waiting for D23(even tho nothing has been announced for the expo with a month to go)

I understand why they didnt do much merch for Up, given Wall E stuff didnt sell well. Then again, robots arent very cuddly.

People are free to believe what they want...but there is simply no established canon that unifies Muppet tv shows, specials and films. It's not like Star Wars. The only real "canon" is when you see Gonzo, Pepe, Kermit, etc on a talk show. Though, is there "canon" with Disney toons or WB Looney Tunes? There is with Pooh, sure. But Disney toons and Looney Tunes seem to exist only in separate shorts and films.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I thought Disney wasnt showing much at Comic Con, and instead was waiting for D23(even tho nothing has been announced for the expo with a month to go)
Comic-Con starts tomorrow and lasts through Sunday. Let's wait and see about the buzz before we second guess what hasn't happened yet. I'd rather talk in anticipation about what exactly they'll be doing at Comic-Con! It's a perfect time to get the ball rolling.

:smile::embarrassed::oops::big_grin::sing::wink::attitude:125 days until Muppet domination!:concern::cool::confused::eek::halo::big_grin::flirt:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
EDIT: Muppets & All Disney Possible No-Show for Comic-Con

According to this, Disney might hold off on all Comic-Con promotions until their own D23 convention.​

I'm disappointed and think it's a bit of a misstep because D23 gets only Disney fans while SDCC get all fans. I hope they at least have something, but it could be another full month before the beginning of Muppet Domination. :grr:

That doesn't mean they won't do something at SDCC. Let's hope we get a peek at some licensed products. That's entirely possible and probable. Comic-Con is also known for it's surprises. Let's hope for some Muppety goodness.​