Sesame Street Character Voice Comparisons

Canadian Fan

Reaction score
Interesting hearing different voices for Elmo. Too bad there wasn't footage of Richard's Elmo on YouTube.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I think there is a way to hear Richard's Elmo. I watched "Follow that Bird" on You Tube recently and noticed him saying "No. No. No." You have to listen real carefully to notice it, so I'm assuming they overlooked that on the DVD. I think that's about the closest we can find. Just thought I'd make that suggestion.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think there is a way to hear Richard's Elmo. I watched "Follow that Bird" on You Tube recently and noticed him saying "No. No. No." You have to listen real carefully to notice it, so I'm assuming they overlooked that on the DVD. I think that's about the closest we can find. Just thought I'd make that suggestion.
True. Almost kind of sounds like Scooter with a sore throat.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
Are there no available footage of Richard's Elmo?

A&E misidentified Brian's performance in "Me, Claudius" as Richard in their Biography special ten years ago.
I just read in Muppet Wiki that it was Jerry Nelson who performed Elmo in Me Claudius not Brian Meuhl

Canadian Fan

Reaction score
I'm glad they finally put a Grundgetta voice comparison. I remember Pam's version more than Brian's (both are good).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You have to admit, Brian did have a great range of voices... for the longest time, I thought the taxi driver in Ernie and Bert's jungle quest for Dr. Livingston was Rihcard until I found out it was Brian.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
There's some misinformation abound then; a magazine article I had clipped a few years ago for my old Muppet scrapbook that I haven't touched in ages said he was 16.
You read wrong. John was 16 when he joined the Muppets in 1994. The PWMS Ernie bits he did were done in 2003.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Interesting hearing different voices for Elmo. Too bad there wasn't footage of Richard's Elmo on YouTube.
Well, don't forget that since Kevin Clash started Elmo in 1984, it did sound raspy and a clueless character, but as the years went on, he developed more into a sweet loving character everyone loves today.

Youtube said,
"Here's Kevin Clash's Elmo (1984-Present)

However, since Kevin left, it will be now (1984-2012)
About 28 years of puppeteering and performing Elmo

Oh boy, we all sure had a rough year everybody.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
And now that Jerry Nelson's gone, it's going to be
Jerry Nelson's The Count (1972-2012),
if you're deciding to make a voice comparison for The Count whenever his new voice debuts, Canadian Fan.
That's about 40 years Jerry voiced that particular character.

Jerry Nelson will always be the best voice for The Count. :cry::batty: