Napolean Dynamite: The Animated Series

Drtooth

Reaction score
They're apparently doing a Monsters Vs Aliens series too.
They won't do a sequel, but they'll do a cartoon series. Hope there's toys. I LOVED that movie but the toys were impossible to find. I was only able to get like 2 of the McD's toys as it is. Though the show won't be the same without Steven Colbert as the President. They'd REALLY have to pay him a lot to keep him on.

You know, as far as movies that keep the cast when they become cartoons, that's a rare thing...

Depending on which series, Disney seemed to keep around SOME of the cast. Aladdin was only missing Robin Williams (he was angry at the management at the time because of something that happened about the merchandise anyway), Timon and Pumbaa's entire cast was recast, except for Jim Cummings as Ed and I think Robert was still Rafiki. Tarzan recast everyone, which is strange, since they recast Wayne Knight's character WHILE they had him as a semi-regular cast member of Buzz Lightyear of Star Command... and he was basically one of the only people in the movie to be on the show, and he did a different character. Emperor's New School had almost everyone by the time the show ended except for David Spade. John Goodman did the voice of Pacha in the second season. of course, that show wouldn't have been as funny, much like the movie, if it wasn't for Patrick Warburton and Eartha Kitt.

As for other movie based cartoons, that's even more rare. Spaceballs ONLY retained Mel Brooks (being executive producer and all) and Joan Rivers. of course, one of the cast members was dead, so... that goes without saying. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventures kept the star cast... of course, back then Keanu wasn't as popular as he is now... the second season ONLY changed because they moved to Canada for the voice work. Ben Stein is the only one that reprised his character for The Mask series (though, Rob Paulsen had a LOT more fun in the role than Jim ever did). That's about it, though. Can't think of any others that retained any of the cast.

Princeton

Reaction score
As for other movie based cartoons, that's even more rare. Spaceballs ONLY retained Mel Brooks (being executive producer and all) and Joan Rivers. of course, one of the cast members was dead, so... that goes without saying.
If I remember correctly, Daphne Zuniga returned as well.

beaker

Reaction score
I tried to watch the "spaceballs animated series"...ugh. Looked pretty cheap bottom of the barrel flash bone rigging to me. Are studios even trying? I know most cartoons these days use cheap flash animation, from My Little Pony to most the stuff on Adult Swim. At least Phineas and Ferb make it work.

Is the MvA show really happening? Despite it being the best Dreamworks film in my view(usually their animation looks dated), it sadly had the kibosh put on it by execs

Drtooth

Reaction score
I tried to watch the "spaceballs animated series"...ugh. Looked pretty cheap bottom of the barrel flash bone rigging to me. Are studios even trying? I know most cartoons these days use cheap flash animation, from My Little Pony to most the stuff on Adult Swim. At least Phineas and Ferb make it work.
Yeah, when I saw Spaceballs years ago, I was less than impressed. The animation is flash, and it looked like something an animation student that just learned the program, and had less than half the semester to make a project (been there, my stuff looked like that ONLY due to deadlines). And the humor isn't so much Mel Brooks as AS wannabe... but then I rewatched it recently, and I have to say, it wasn't too bad considering.

Phineas and Ferb are FAR from flash. They are indeed a traditional (or digitally traditional) animated in Korea cartoon. I think either Rough Draft or Toon City do the outsourced animation... they're my two favorite outsource companies... they really add fluid to the animation.

beaker

Reaction score
Oh weird, for some reason to me PaF has a flash look to me. Camp Lazlo did, but Joe Murray says how much he enjoys working in flash these days. Ive tried getting into PaF with random episodes over the last two seasons...some of the formula really irks me, like using the same exact beats, pops and templates for every episode laid out in the pilot episode. Ive been rewatching all the Rockos Modern Life, Timon and Pumba, etc episodes and you dont feel a direct pattern every single episode(other than things go awry and over the top) Does Ferb ever say much? Outside of the movie do we ever see Perry in Agent P form in the same scene as PaF, or PaF in the same scene as the mad scientist? I loved the gag in the first episode about the crappy kid's coster, though the no-rules no limitations of physics(like the roller coaster going into space) was a bit much...tho Rocko employed similar stuff

I put all my "dailies" and stuff I had been working on for months on a dvdr and watched it a few times on my tv...then pretty much decided to scrap a lot of the animation I had worked on as it looked too "flash"y. So pretty much I went out and got a nice Wacom tablet, and have been trying to teach myself painstaking frame by frame movement and having more dynamic action/perspectives to make it feel more alive. I think flash is great with a digital pen or cyntiq for the vectoring and onion skinning. You know which animator I really dig? Bill Plimpton, as well as Don Hertzfeldt. That painstaking style must take forever and a day!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I saw them all except the last one.

It's a shame it got canceled so quickly and all, but it really felt out of place on that schedule. Not to mention, as I said before, it was a little too late for it. If this thing were on cable, it would have lasted a lot longer than the 5 episode run it had. I give it credit for full animation, and not some sort of [adult swim] looking Flash cartoon. Not to mention getting most of the cast back. That's something that's virtually unheard of, with the exception of the first season of Bill and Ted. Sure, there will always be that one person they manage to get back, Ben Stein reprised his character for The Mask The Animated Series... Tony Shaloub actually came back to voice Jeebs for 3 episodes of Men in Black TAS.

I really wish they'd produce more episodes and put it on FX or something.