Bert and Ernie Gay Rumor: Settled

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
They already have these "studies" that suggest people who aren't necessarily book-smart are more likely to cheat than more intelligent people
Oh sure, the wealthy among us whose parents sent them to Ivy League schools, they NEVER cheat on their spouses! Heck no!

...Please...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of ignorance and a lot of half baked theories floating around.

Even when there are scentific studies on the topic, the results are uncertain. There was a scientific study a few years ago that claimed that the more older brothers a male had, the more likely he was genetically to be gay. Now perhaps this is true statistically speaking, but obviously there are plenty of gay men who had NO older brothers. And there are plenty of straight men who had multiple older brothers. So yeah, statistics aren't that useful either, lol.
I agree. There are so many microscopic nature and nurture factors that shape an individual. It's useless to try and pin one thing to one aspect of a whole person. I personally believe many genetic factors lay the groundwork for an individual and then their environment shapes what kind of straight or gay (or otherwise) person they will turn out to be. This has to do with every part of a person too.

However, I do not believe in the oversimplification and ridiculous bigotry of conservative Chrisitan statements like this one by Michele Bachmann:

“Normalization (of gayness) through desensitization. Very effective way to do this with a bunch of second graders, is take a picture of “The Lion King” for instance, and a teacher might say, “Do you know that the music for this movie was written by a gay man?” The message is: I’m better at what I do, because I’m gay.” Bachmann at EdWatch National Education Conference, November 6, 2004.

Is it me or does Bachmann seem like a cartoonish John Waters character? No unflattering magazine cover needed for her bunch o' crazy.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Again, that's the problem with these "holier than thou" uber-conservative Republicans: they go on spouting God this and Jesus that, but are the least Christ-like people on the planet... after all, the Bible specifically tells us as Christians, we're not to be judgemental of others, that only God can judge those... and here they are, bashing gays for being gay, when there are far worse things than being gay... there are people out there literally getting away with murder and such, but no, they're too busy saying things like, "God is sending you to **** since you're gay", etc.

And what's worse is that Bachmann's husband actually runs a therapy place that tries to convert gays into heterosexual... they actually showed candid footage of a session where a therapist tells a gay man, "God made man to be attracted to a woman's body, he's supposed to like breasts and stuff like that"... oh yeah, if I was gay, that'd turn me straight all right... woo, breasts... woo...

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Some people confuse asexuality like behavior with being gay. Like the character of Sheldon on Big Bang Theory, or Pee Wee for instance. Bert, Ernie and Grover represent that sort of innocent asexuality, while The Count, Pepe, etc typify womanizing horn-doggedness.

It's truly sad Paul Ruebens career was destroyed from that strange event. I don't think he ever bounced back career wise, other than the public came back to really appreciate what had been lost and support his current ventures(Saw the new HBO broadway special, such an interesting time warp into vintage pee wee) I liked him in Blow, and wish he had done more drama and comedy roles. He's a bit old now, though he still rocks the Pee Wee thing pretty well still.
Yeah. I think Pee Wee is coming back out again. I hear they're making a new Pee Wee's Playhouse movie that's coming out next year.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah. I think Pee Wee is coming back out again. I hear they're making a new Pee Wee's Playhouse movie that's coming out next year.
Paul Reubens has been talking for years (like since 2006 or 2007 I think) about wanting to do like this big "final chapter" on Pee-wee, but I don't know what has become of it... I just remember Laurence Fishburn saying that he would be more than happy to reprise his role of Cowboy Curtis, which I think is really great for a big star to do that and embrace his roots.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Again, that's the problem with these "holier than thou" uber-conservative Republicans: they go on spouting God this and Jesus that, but are the least Christ-like people on the planet... after all, the Bible specifically tells us as Christians, we're not to be judgemental of others, that only God can judge those... and here they are, bashing gays for being gay, when there are far worse things than being gay... there are people out there literally getting away with murder and such, but no, they're too busy saying things like, "God is sending you to **** since you're gay", etc.

And what's worse is that Bachmann's husband actually runs a therapy place that tries to convert gays into heterosexual... they actually showed candid footage of a session where a therapist tells a gay man, "God made man to be attracted to a woman's body, he's supposed to like breasts and stuff like that"... oh yeah, if I was gay, that'd turn me straight all right... woo, breasts... woo...
That is really dangerous and causes lifelong dysfunction of the alleged "converted" and their family members.

Oooh, and to Beaker about the Sheldon asexuality. While I agree with you about the character, the actor Jim Parsons is actually out and gay.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree. There are so many microscopic nature and nurture factors that shape an individual. It's useless to try and pin one thing to one aspect of a whole person. I personally believe many genetic factors lay the groundwork for an individual and then their environment shapes what kind of straight or gay (or otherwise) person they will turn out to be. This has to do with every part of a person too.

However, I do not believe in the oversimplification and ridiculous bigotry of conservative Chrisitan statements like this one by Michele Bachmann:

“Normalization (of gayness) through desensitization. Very effective way to do this with a bunch of second graders, is take a picture of “The Lion King” for instance, and a teacher might say, “Do you know that the music for this movie was written by a gay man?” The message is: I’m better at what I do, because I’m gay.” Bachmann at EdWatch National Education Conference, November 6, 2004.

Is it me or does Bachmann seem like a cartoonish John Waters character? No unflattering magazine cover needed for her bunch o' crazy.
Crazy's not even the word. She's a very dangerous individual. I know Republicans are sick of being the evil party, so why do they keep favoring such ghoulish candidates? I could turn this into Michele Bachman is a monster thread, but I don't want to. But that kind of backwards thinking is why the country is so devided and screwed up. Of course gay people are 'miserable." They have to put up with bigoted fascists like that.

That's the only reason why I support Sesame Workshop's constant press releases debunking these rumors. Stuff like that is fodder for bigoted movements to turn into "brainwashing people to accept a gay agenda" so they can brainwash people to follow their be hateful and scared and vote for wealthy favoring candidates that we pay for agenda. Separation beteen Church and state should ALSO be about putting one's beliefs aside for the common good of the country. Wedge issues need to be ignored and the focus should go to something mutually beneficial.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Crazy's not even the word. She's a very dangerous individual. I know Republicans are sick of being the evil party, so why do they keep favoring such ghoulish candidates? I could turn this into Michele Bachman is a monster thread, but I don't want to.
OK, I don't agree with Bachman's political views and I have no intention of voting for her. But I won't throw around the word "monster." She's adopted an amazing amount of foster children over the years. That's more than most people can bother to do.

Just saying, people are complicated.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
OK, I don't agree with Bachman's political views and I have no intention of voting for her. But I won't throw around the word "monster." She's adopted an amazing amount of foster children over the years. That's more than most people can bother to do.

Just saying, people are complicated.
I don't approve of assigning such labels to people either, but I will characterize her treatment of gay people as monstrous. A decade from now her statements will largely be seen as bigotry run amok in a party that still permitted it. There's no difference in her hate-speech than that of Islamic radicals. Even though I don't approve of her views, she's permitted to adopt children and raise them under her system of beliefs, but strives to deny rights for others to do the same. Even so, i won't paint her with the wide brush she paints gay men and women.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't approve of assigning such labels to people either, but I will characterize her treatment of gay people as monstrous. A decade from now her statements will largely be seen as bigotry run amok in a party that still permitted it. There's no difference in her hate-speech than that of Islamic radicals. Even though I don't approve of her views, she's permitted to adopt children and raise them under her system of beliefs, but strives to deny rights for others to do the same. Even so, i won't paint her with the wide brush she paints gay men and women.

Not just that. Her views are dangerously extreme. At one point she was talking about re-education camps for the young. Among other things I can't quite think of right now. I am not saying "Oh, the Republicans are fascist." That's painting with a brush. But quite frankly, the pledge she signed was the closest to Sharia Law we'd ever get in the US. I know she's probably not going to be the front runner, and they'll go with a Neo-Con like Romney (you know things are bad when I'm actually rooting for him to clench the nomination). She adopted a lot of kids... so do cult leaders. The point?

She claims to speak for "freedom" but the only freedom she wants is freedom for gun owners and the monster corporations that already get away with murder. Her views about gays are barbaric. I'm not talking about someone who says, "sorry, but I was raised to believe homosexuality is a sin" but lives and lets live, I'm talking about a "This is something I personally object to for some reason and I want to get rid of it because I have a problem with it." I've always said it's dangerous to compare any politician to Hitler unless they're genocidal dictators, but there's a difference between disagreeable and dangerous. She's dangerous. I still don't see why Log Cabin Republicans don't smash candidates like her down and just stand up for the right's financial beliefs of fiscal solvency. They manages to speak up against don't ask don't tell, but not Bachman?