"The Muppets" first preview screening

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Just read this whole thread, or well, most of it anyway, kind of skimmed some, but from what I've read I'm very, very happy. And possibly more excited yet again, as if that was even possible! Thanks to those sharing their knowledge!

beaker

Reaction score
INSANELY positive reviews of the film from Aintitcool news: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50892 In fact, it seems like every 4 or 5 news updates is Muppet related, they're going nuts over there for it:smile: AICN is one of the most popular movie news site on the internet

beaker

Reaction score
It was widely sourced. Sometime after the trailer came out I saw a quote from somebody who worked on the movie, saying most of the stuff in the trailer was already cut from the film. I don't really remember anything in the trailer that didn't make the film, aside from a shot of Itchy as a gangster. The original theatrical trailer doesn't even appear on the DVD.

I know that some celebrity voices were cut, a scene with Sideshow Bob was cut, and an ending scene with Kang and Kodos were cut. And yet none of those were on the special features (most of the deleted scenes we did get are very mediocre). If they couldn't include all the deleted scenes (it'd probably need to be a two-disc set for all the scenes) they should have at least included the stuff mentioned in the press releases. And considering all of the Simpsons season sets have been perfect when it comes to bonus features, it's a shame the DVD of the movie couldn't have been treated the same way. I've read that the blu-ray of the movie has the exact same features as the regular DVD and nothing else.

I'm confident that The Muppets will have a good DVD release. I think it was said that Disney wants to include video footage of the script read-through (I hope it doesn't get in the way of including deleted scenes and all the trailers). I'm hoping it'll be better than any Muppet movie DVD, past or present (and if it's a two-disc set then that'll be a first, not counting the two-disc-but-really-a-DVD-and-a-CD It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie).
I sure hope so! The Tron Legacy dvd has absolutely nothing on it at all.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm liking what I've been reading in this thread and in the reviews posted.

Regarding that list of characters in order of most-to-least screentime, I am a little surprised, though I guess some of it is subjective in determining (especially after only one viewing). And I guess it doesn't reflect who has most-to-least dialogue (I am not asking to know). But I am a little surprised to see that Sam, Crazy Harry, Lew Zealand, aand Beauregard have more screen time than Statler and Waldorf. I know those two usually only get a few scenes, and their amount of scenes/dialogue is probably more than some of those others, but I was expecting them to be a little crucial to the plot, due to the scene in the trailer where they appear with the villian (maybe it's their only scene with him, maybe not).

Also surprised to see Pepe listed as having more screentime than Janice, since he only has one scene. I know that Janice doesn't have any lines, but based on what I've read I would think she would be on-screen more. Also surprised to see Zoot is more important here.

beaker

Reaction score
I'm thinking their had to be an agreed upon reason for Pepe, Rizzo and other mainstays being pretty much MIA...as I dont think chalking it up to Segal's possible non post JH knowledge of the franchise would cut it. Pepe and Rizzo have been built up as part of the main core, so to me it is quite baffling why they aren't in there. The dynamic between Gonzo and Rizzo especially, or the fun shenanigans between Pepe and Rizzo. Rizzo doesn't even have ONE line?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
And as far as I can tell not much of what's been revealed in this thread has been posted in other threads. I've done my best not to mention information only found here and no other review or article, and we should probably try not to until the movie comes out (unless it's mentioned in an article on the movie or an interview or something like that).

outerelf

Reaction score
This is a thread for non-spoiler information really. We aren't asking for specifics and we aren't asking for a detailed blow-by-blow transcript. We want to know however if our excitement going to be validated. If we're going to get the bang for our buck, or if it's going to turn out like another Yogi Bear movie or another Muppets From Space.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Why do ya'll want more Pepe? He's already been in a lot of stuff and annoyed the heck out of people. He's like a kid with adhd who doesn't know when to shut up.

dwmckim

Reaction score
But I am a little surprised to see that Sam, Crazy Harry, Lew Zealand, aand Beauregard have more screen time than Statler and Waldorf.
It will make more sense when you see how S&W fit in the larger picture in this film compared with the others named.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Why do ya'll want more Pepe? He's already been in a lot of stuff and annoyed the heck out of people. He's like a kid with adhd who doesn't know when to shut up.
Is this a rhetorical question or do you really desire an answer? I guess everyone has their faves. I've been a Muppet fan since the show originally aired. 1979's Muppet Movie was the first film I ever saw in theaters. I'm a die-hard fan who not only loves Pepe - I believe him to be the singularly most important Muppet/Henson creation since Jim Henson passed. Pepe's funny and he connects with a lot of people too.

That said, Pepe carried the brand far too much in recent productions and he was dangerously approaching Elmo territory in the Muppet Show world. This film scales him back a little and I'm thankful for that. I do believe he's earned main ensemble character status. Personally, my Muppet ranking order for character screentime importance would be about like this: Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Miss Piggy, Scooter, Rowlf, Pepe, Rizzo, Animal, Beaker, Bunsen, Sam, the Electric Mayhem, Swedish Chef, Stalter, Waldorf, Robin, Sweetums and so on.
:smile::embarrassed::concern::mad::wink::sympathy::rolleyes::shifty::halo::eek::confused::attitude::big_grin::sing::flirt::cool::hungry::sleep::boo::grr:
So yeah, he'd be number 8. I know you probably disagree, but you asked a question. Question answered.