"The Muppets" first preview screening

dwmckim

Reaction score
Okay, getting back to non-rhetorical questions for those who saw the preview...

In the trailer, the shot of the Muppet Show Opening Theme arches has some spaces empty. Some of us have been speculating that this may be either due to (a) the shot still being worked on in post production and/or (b) a deliberate attempt to hide a spoiler.

WITHOUT spoiling the reason why they're (not) filled, are all the arches indeed filled in the actual movie in that shot?

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
News is it's good, the humans aren't the focus, it's not too long, not too short..... That's ALL I want to know.
Me too. I'm going to try to save myself for the movie as much as possible. And if there's a ton of stuff that didn't make the final cut, here's to a jam-packed dvd set! :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
6 whats the plot
Really? The plot has been known for a few years now. It's been mentioned in Muppet Wiki, various press reports, the recent Ain't It Cool News reviews, and various other places.

But to be repetitive, the plot is that the Muppets have split up for some time, and when Muppet fans Gary, Mary, and Walter find out the Muppet Theater is in danger of being in the possession of an oil tycoon who wants to tear the theater down, these fans travel around the world to get the Muppets back together to save the theater by doing a telethon to raise the money needed to save the theater.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This is a thread for non-spoiler information really. We aren't asking for specifics and we aren't asking for a detailed blow-by-blow transcript. We want to know however if our excitement going to be validated. If we're going to get the bang for our buck, or if it's going to turn out like another Yogi Bear movie or another Muppets From Space.
Yogi Bear was a sloppy kid's movie that used every cliche in the book. Know how bad it was? The Smurfs movie wasn't that poorly put together, even though that movie was pretty generic as well (just the human actors could ACT and felt like they wanted to be there... especially Hank Azaria). But there's nothing good I can say about Yogi, other than the random Weird Al song they shoved in the sound track. Yogi Bear has a thin concept, and frankly, they didn't turn much of it on its ear... but still, they managed to find a way to screw it up with a generic script and poor acting from uninterested human actors.

MFS is different. The was the subject of a forced space concept (Star Wars 1 was that summer and everyone was trying to reference it), an overworked script, and a director that didn't care to be there other than using it as a stepping stone, changed a lot of the script, and worst of all, not having a basic understanding of what the Muppets were. he took a movie and made it less enjoyable than it could have been.

HOWEVER, with this film, the word is the directors and writers had a symbiotic relationship, the director being such a fan that he was more knowledgeable about certain characters... compare that with "Eating poo poos is FUNNY" Tim Hill.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
Really? The plot has been known for a few years now. It's been mentioned in Muppet Wiki, various press reports, the recent Ain't It Cool News reviews, and various other places.

But to be repetitive, the plot is that the Muppets have split up for some time, and when Muppet fans Gary, Mary, and Walter find out the Muppet Theater is in danger of being in the possession of an oil tycoon who wants to tear the theater down, these fans travel around the world to get the Muppets back together to save the theater by doing a telethon to raise the money needed to save the theater.
I know the plot lol i meant a more in depth plot like scene by scene :super: :concern: :rolleyes:

RockSTAR girl

Reaction score
Was at D23 all weekend, didnt have a chance to come read this thread til now.... but I also was at the screening and I just have to say, it will be the Muppet movie we've all been waiting for. It was nostalgic, hilarious, silly, fresh, and such a good time at the movies... and I HIGHLY recommend seeing this on a big theater screen. I definitely cried like a baby at several moments, especially when I thought about the fact that I never thought id see a great Muppet movie again. Bret McKenzies music is a HIGHHHlight. I'm already searching for a store that will let me preorder it because it is SO fantastic. I dont think anyone will be disappointed whatsoever. Also, just an extra juicy tidbit... Jason Segel had been in the theater and I got to talk to him for a moment after the screening, he was very gracious and took my compliments... it was nice to see him and the team really wanting to see how the movie played to an audience. Amazing experience, I dont know how I can wait until November to see it again.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yogi Bear was a sloppy kid's movie that used every cliche in the book. Know how bad it was? The Smurfs movie wasn't that poorly put together, even though that movie was pretty generic as well (just the human actors could ACT and felt like they wanted to be there... especially Hank Azaria). But there's nothing good I can say about Yogi, other than the random Weird Al song they shoved in the sound track. Yogi Bear has a thin concept, and frankly, they didn't turn much of it on its ear... but still, they managed to find a way to screw it up with a generic script and poor acting from uninterested human actors.

MFS is different. The was the subject of a forced space concept (Star Wars 1 was that summer and everyone was trying to reference it), an overworked script, and a director that didn't care to be there other than using it as a stepping stone, changed a lot of the script, and worst of all, not having a basic understanding of what the Muppets were. he took a movie and made it less enjoyable than it could have been.

HOWEVER, with this film, the word is the directors and writers had a symbiotic relationship, the director being such a fan that he was more knowledgeable about certain characters... compare that with "Eating poo poos is FUNNY" Tim Hill.
And ironically, all three of those movies mentioned were directed by Tim Hill.

beaker

Reaction score
Is this a rhetorical question or do you really desire an answer? I guess everyone has their faves. I've been a Muppet fan since the show originally aired. 1979's Muppet Movie was the first film I ever saw in theaters. I'm a die-hard fan who not only loves Pepe - I believe him to be the singularly most important Muppet/Henson creation since Jim Henson passed. Pepe's funny and he connects with a lot of people too.

That said, Pepe carried the brand far too much in recent productions and he was dangerously approaching Elmo territory in the Muppet Show world. This film scales him back a little and I'm thankful for that. I do believe he's earned main ensemble character status. Personally, my Muppet ranking order for character screentime importance would be about like this: Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Miss Piggy, Scooter, Rowlf, Pepe, Rizzo, Animal, Beaker, Bunsen, Sam, the Electric Mayhem, Swedish Chef, Stalter, Waldorf, Robin, Sweetums and so on.
:smile::embarrassed::concern::mad::wink::sympathy::rolleyes::shifty::halo::eek::confused::attitude::big_grin::sing::flirt::cool::hungry::sleep::boo::grr:
So yeah, he'd be number 8. I know you probably disagree, but you asked a question. Question answered.
Ok, I'll admit that as much as I've been a zealous pro Pepe fanatic...looking back since 1999, and really since 2001...he's been definitely used ad nauseum...at times replacing Kermit as the go to Muppet representative in media. He'll probably have a scene stealing moment...I'm almost more baffled by the lack of Rizzo since he feels more classic.

I think a lot of this has to do with Baretta wanting to focus on Rowlf. People think of Kermit and Gonzo, Kermit and Fozzie or Kermit and Piggy as the two main Muppet characters...but from the early 60's through mid 70's Rowlf was actually the second biggest Muppet and main character next to Kermit. He and especially Scooter had such a prominent role in the Muppet Show series, that it indeed was sad to see both take such a noticeable MIA backseat after Jim Henson. So this is kind of like their big comeback of sorts, within that ocntext I am not terribly bothered by the lack of Pepe and Rizzo...just find it odd since in online Muppet video content Rizzo and Pepe are portrayed as some of the main characters and they've been part and parcel to all Muppet specials and movies since the late 1990's.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think a lot of this has to do with Baretta wanting to focus on Rowlf.
I wonder if it really is because of Baretta wanting to focus on Rowlf and not the writers desire to focus on the classics. I would think he'd be more comfortable with the characters he originated.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I wonder if it really is because of Baretta wanting to focus on Rowlf and not the writers desire to focus on the classics. I would think he'd be more comfortable with the characters he originated.
Anytime Baretta is performing a character, it usually is Pepe. Why is that? I have no idea. Maybe because Pepe is an easier character to perform where as Rowlf is a bulkier character to perform like Fozzie. Maybe he likes to peform Pepe because he lets the character say whatever he wants.

Anyway, it seems like from the reports of this movie and the pictures from the muppet wiki that the main core from the 70's/80's is back in place which includes, Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Rowlf, Gonzo, and Scooter. Pepe seems to be reduced to a minor role which is fine with me. He's been in too much in the last 12 years or so. Get back to the older characters and let them do their thing.