Half of the Stairs are Missing

Beauregard

Reaction score
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

No one writes crowd scenes like the TOGA (No offence meant). Perfect use of background characters, Muppet chaos, obscure characters and Parental Rage. LOVE.

Also: AMY! AMY! Oh AMY! The last time I saw you, you were being washed in alternate universe Miss Piggy's sink by alternate universe Gonzo and the pond-smell was creating a certain stirring for our Porcine Alternate! *heart*

As for the multiple Ed-splosions...What can I say? Eds will roll. *amused* *should probably be locked in a cupboard*

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Locked in a cupboard? Don't you already have a closet for that?
*Must set the Toga free to write more often. :crazy:

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter Sixteen

When the bulk of the Muppets came to the hospital, Scooter carried a large bouquet of flowers into room 396 with Rowlf at his side tugging along three large balloons—one with a smiley face, another shaped like a sun, and a third emblazoned with the words GET WELL SOON! Jimmy and Leaper trailed in behind them. Leaper stopped just a few feet inside the door, fidgeting as her eyes flitted to and from the machines hooked up to her son. Jimmy made it to the foot of the bed by keeping his gaze on his own flippers.

“What’s this?” Kermit asked as Scooter set the bouquet on the window ledge.

“Well-wishes for Robin,” Scooter said, almost apologetic as he turned the vase this way and that, trying to get the biggest blooms to face the bed. “The word’s out, Chief.”

“It was mentioned on the news this morning,” Rowlf explained softly as he tied the balloons to the bed. He tugged on one of the strings to make the sun balloon bounce. “These are from fans.”

Kermit almost smiled—almost. “Robin does have fans,” he said. “He’ll be glad to see that. I don’t think he realizes it.” He carefully gave his nephew’s hand a gentle squeeze. Then he frowned and sighed. “We should probably do a real announcement soon,” he said softly. “The sooner the better.”

Announce it?” Leaper said incredulously. She pointed at the balloons. “They already know. And you want to announce it like it’s some sort of event! My son deserves some privacy, Kermit!”

“He does have privacy! I make sure of that,” Kermit said with heated defensiveness. The other Muppets in the room protectively edged forward. Leaper obviously had no idea how carefully they had always guarded Robin’s privacy from the public eye. “Right now, the best way to keep this private is to let the press think that they’re in the loop,” Kermit went on. “Otherwise they will not leave us alone until they have in-depth interviews with all of us and pictures of Robin in his—” Kermit’s voice cracked. “—his hospital bed.”

Jimmy went back to Leaper’s side and put a hand on her arm. “We have to trust Kermit on this,” he said softly. “The press has never bothered Robin before. He’ll keep it that way.”

Leaper had tears in her eyes as she gave Kermit a hot glare, letting him know that the last thing in the world she wanted to do was trust him. “So you’ll make us talk to the press about this?”

Kermit shook his head. “I wouldn’t ask you to go in front of any cameras,” he said.

“So you’ll talk to them,” Leaper said.

Kermit’s eyes immediately settled on his nephew. “…No,” he said softly. “I’m not leaving this room, and I … I don’t want them in here.”

Leaper folded her arms.

“Do you want me to do it, then?” Jimmy asked.

Kermit hesitated. “If you want to,” he said. “But I think…” He looked at the other Muppets in the room. “I think it should come from … someone they know…”

Fozzie patted Kermit’s shoulder. “We’ll take care of it,” he promised.

“Thank you,” Kermit said softly.

“I want to know what you tell them,” Leaper said, lifting her chin. “I want to know what you’re going to tell them before they do.”

“We’ll keep you informed, Ms. Slough,” Scooter said.

Leaper paced in front of the door. “What is there to tell them, anyway?” she demanded. “What else can we tell them that they don’t already know? We don’t know if he’s hurting, or how long this will take…” She waved towards the bed without looking at it.

This is our son, Leaper,” Jimmy said softly.

“I know that!” she snapped.

“Those would probably be questions for the doctor,” Rowlf said, mostly speaking up because the last thing anyone in the room needed was an argument. He doubted the doctor had too many more answers than he had already given them.

Fine,” Leaper spat. “Let me know when we can talk to the doctor.” With that, she marched out of the room.

Kermit gave his brother an irate look. “Did she miss the three times that doctors have saved Mom’s life?” he said, and then he shook his head and immediately backpedalled. “Never mind. This is hard on all of us. I’m sure she’s just upset.”

“Yeah. Something like that,” Jimmy said, and he sighed heavily.

The other Muppets in the room squirmed at the heavy tension, and more than a few eyes settled on Robin’s all-too-still form.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

Scooter cleared his throat. “Chief, we talked a little about who might be in the show this week,” he said.

“Oh, yeah?” Kermit didn’t even think to hide his indifference. His fingers traced the ball beside his nephew’s hand.

“We didn’t come up with much,” Scooter admitted.

At that, Kermit looked up. “That doesn’t surprise me,” he said softly, gratefully. “We stick together.”

Scooter nodded. “That’s why we’re going to ask the hospital if there’s any place we can rehearse here.”

Fozzie and Miss Piggy both perked up at the idea, but Kermit just stared at the go-fer for a long, quiet moment. When he finally did respond, all he had to say was, “Good luck.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

“But Camilla, Amy is just a friend! I promise!” Gonzo said desperately as he entered the elevator with a gaggle of other Muppets. Camilla clucked at him angrily. “Well—yes, I do carry her around, but that’s just because she’s not very self-sufficient. Er—no offense, Amy,” he added to the brick tucked under his arm.

Clifford rubbed his head as the chicken next to him continued to harp on Gonzo—or at least, that’s what Clifford figured was going on. “Man, every time they argue, it’s a splitting headache for the rest of us,” he mumbled.

Animal gave him a sympathetic pat on the shoulder. “AS-PRIN?” he offered, prompting a chuckle from Floyd.

Clifford warily eyed both the drummer and the bass player. “No thanks,” he decided.

“I know how long she’s been in the couch, Camilla. That’s why I’m worried about her!” Gonzo argued. “I’d be worried about you, too, if you were in the couch that long!”

The argument had been going on for quite some time now, and it continued until they reached the pediatric wing. Then Gonzo stopped and put his hand on Camilla’s back.

“Let’s not argue about it here,” he said softly, his eyes sad as he looked at the cheery décor that awaited them. “We can discuss it more later. Okay?”

Camilla nodded, her clucks lower now as she nuzzled against him.

He gave her a squeeze. “Look, I … I know you two don’t really get along, but—could you keep an eye on Amy for me? Just for a little bit. I wanna see how Robin’s doing.”

Camilla shook her head and emphatically clucked that she was going to check on Robin, too.

“Okay,” Gonzo said. “I’ll find someone else to watch her.”

It was not an easy task. He asked Rizzo first.

“Gonzo, I am not going to baby-sit your brick. Da first thing I’m doin’ is ta go check on Robin.”

“Si, si. Me, too, hokay. I’m not brick-sitting for jou,” Pepe was quick to add.

The Electric Mayhem had a similar answer.

“SEE FROG! SEE FROG!”

“Yeah, me too. Besides, I gotta make sure Animal stays calm in there.”

“CALM FROG! CALM FROG!”

“It, uh … looks like you’ve got your work cut out for you,” Gonzo said.

“Fer sure, and like, I’m totally seeing Robin first, too.”

“Uh-huh.”

“Most posilutely.”

Bunsen and Beaker were also going to see Robin right away, and therefore couldn’t keep an eye on Amy. Sam refused to do something so ridiculous, and besides which was also going straight to room 396. Beauregard was too busy collecting signatures for a giant get well card. Leaper didn’t seem to hear him, nor did she seem to hear anyone who asked her how Robin was doing, since she was already coming back from his room. Lew Zealand apologetically explained that he was bringing his boomerang fish act to Robin and couldn’t watch the brick. Everyone, it seemed, was on their way to Robin’s room, but Camilla patiently waited until Gonzo found some penguins who were willing to look after Amy before the two of them went together and—since no one wanted to crowd the young frog—waited in line to go into the five-year-old’s room.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it weird of me that I find the whole "who's going to look after Amy when everyone wants to go see Robin first" funnily fascinating?
And that the highlight was getting Leaper's last name?
*Sits back down to wait for a turn to see Robin.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Jimmy made it to the foot of the bed by keeping his gaze on his own flippers.
How much I love the phrasing that he made it BY keeping his gaze on his flippers.

Announce it?” Leaper said incredulously. She pointed at the balloons. “They already know. And you want to announce it like it’s some sort of event! My son deserves some privacy, Kermit!”
LIKE. Its good that Robin's parents aren't the Lyndsay Lohan style media-mongers that some people have believed them to be in the past, sending their son into show business at such a young age. In fact, has anyone properly explored the back-lash that they might have gotten for doing so?

The other Muppets in the room protectively edged forward.
Of COURSE they did!

“Do you want me to do it, then?” Jimmy asked.
And THAT is why he's named Jimmy.

“We’ll keep you informed, Ms. Slough,” Scooter said.
Oh she returned to her Maiden Name? I didn't see that coming.

Kermit gave his brother an irate look.
LIKE! I love it when Kermit gets irate.

“Did she miss the three times that doctors have saved Mom’s life?”
I love a good self-referencial comment!

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

Scooter cleared his throat. “Chief..."
Sorry to ruin a dramatic moment, but I totally missread this as "Chef" and immediately though the Beep sound was a joke and that it was going to be something like, "Chef, I don't think this is the right place for your microwave..." *snortle*

“But Camilla, Amy is just a friend! I promise!”
LIKE LIKE LIKE. Oh Amy, you delicious diva!

Animal gave him a sympathetic pat on the shoulder. “AS-PRIN?” he offered, prompting a chuckle from Floyd.

Clifford warily eyed both the drummer and the bass player. “No thanks,” he decided.
Drug reference?

“I’d be worried about you, too, if you were in the couch that long!”
Worried. But not surprised. This IS Toga's Muppet World we're talking about.

“Most posilutely.”
Green album reference!

Beauregard was too busy collecting signatures for a giant get well card.
LIKE. Although I wonder if he'd keep focused enough to do that and wouldn't constantly start over. "Have you sig'ned the card for Robin, Floyd?" "Yes." "Have you sig'ned the card for Robin, Janice?" "Fer sure." "Have you sig'ned the card for Robin, Floyd?" "Yeah, man...now I'm ankling." "Have you--..." etc.

Aww...Lucky that Amy has some helpful Penguin friends. However, I fear they may kidnap Amy or take her skating on thin ice and lose her to the pond again...Quick! leave the over-crowded frog-child and Get back to Amy, Gonzo!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Squee! Another angsty update but yet the comedic relief with Gonzo and Amy and all is perfect. Perfect mix of angst, heartache and humor. I expect nothing less from you though! :smile: Can't wait to read more!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter Seventeen

It was late in the morning when Dr. Livelong came into the room, sent for Leaper, and cleared out almost all of the Muppets. Only Robin’s parents and Kermit could be in the room for this conversation.

“Well?” Leaper said as soon as she stepped through the door. Her voice may have been shaking.

Dr. Livelong stood in a corner beside the patient’s bed and waited for the frogs to situate themselves. Kermit shifted to the foot of the bed, Jimmy stood by the window, and Leaper uneasily settled in the crayon-upholstered chair. “I’ve heard you have some questions for me,” the doctor said gently.

“How long will this take?” Leaper asked abruptly, hugging herself tight.

The doctor hesitated. “This conversation, or—”

This,” Leaper said, pointing towards the bed.

“How long will he need the machines?” Kermit clarified.

Dr. Livelong sighed. “There’s no way to be certain, I’m afraid. He might wake up any minute, or … it might take longer.”

Will he wake up?” Jimmy asked.

“I don’t know,” the doctor said firmly. “There’s no way to know.”

“But you do think he stands a good chance, right?” Kermit said. “There would have been no point in operating on his arm if you didn’t think he would make it.”

Dr. Livelong nodded. “There seems to be very little reason for him to remain unconscious.”

“But he is unconscious,” Leaper said pointedly. She kept her eyes fixed on her lap.

“Yes, he is,” the doctor reluctantly agreed. “And the longer he stays that way, I’m afraid, the lower his chances of waking up.”

All three frogs picked their heads up at this news. All three faces were stricken.

“And you said he’s hurting,” Leaper said. “You said you’re giving him pain medication.”

Dr. Livelong nodded. “With the state his arm is in, I would not be surprised if he felt some … discomfort.”

“Pain,” Leaper repeated. “You called it pain.”

Dr. Livelong squinted his eyes a little. “Pain may be too strong of a word,” he said carefully. “He’s not very aware right now … The medication is a very low dose, and more of a precaution than anything.”

Leaper didn’t seem to accept this. She stared at the heart monitor. “And you don’t know how long … It could be forever, couldn’t it?” she whispered. “Forever, on these machines…”

Kermit felt a shiver run down his back. He pulled his legs up, tucked his head against his knees, and gently traced his nephew’s flipper under the sheet.

“Quite some time, yes,” Dr. Livelong said. “Not forever … but quite some time.”

“And you’ll just leave him like this?” Leaper turned her attention to the doctor again. “Just leave him, hurting, and not awake, and just—You’ll just leave him like this?”

“No one’s leaving him, Leaper,” Kermit said firmly.

“No, certainly not,” Dr. Livelong agreed. “But there’s very little I can do to aid his recovery at this point. We’re monitoring him, of course, and if anything happens we’ll be right here. But in the state he is in, there is very little we can change.”

Leaper’s eyes shifted away from the doctor again, taking in the machinery. The heart monitor, the respirator, the IV… “What if you turn the machines off?”

Kermit snapped his head up and stared at her, his jaw slack. Later, he would wonder how Jimmy had reacted to that question—if Jimmy had reacted to it.

The doctor was very quiet. “That would be your choice,” he finally said.

Kermit’s head swiveled. “What?” He could barely breathe the word, much less scream it, and the doctor didn’t hear him.

“Most of this is only monitoring him,” Dr. Livelong continued. “But the respirator … He might be able to breathe without that, but—”

“No!” Kermit’s voice was audible now, and audibly panicky. “No. You can’t turn it off, can you? That’s not a choice!”

The doctor raised his hands. “I won’t turn them off,” he said, “Unless—” and he turned to Jimmy and Leaper. “Unless you make that decision.”

“No!” Kermit cried.

Jimmy rubbed the back of his neck, staring at his son and all of those awful machines. “Why would we…”

“I don’t want him to suffer,” Leaper choked out. “He’s hurting…”

“No!” Kermit cried again.

“Would it—Would he—I mean—” Jimmy struggled for his words. “Without the machines, would he … Is that all that’s keeping him alive?”

Kermit was desperate. “Jimmy, you can’t—”

“He’s NOT your son, Kermit!” Leaper snapped.

“Please, calm down,” Dr. Livelong said softly, soothingly. He turned to Jimmy. “The respirator is very likely keeping him alive. He was having a great deal of difficulty breathing without it.”

Jimmy was probably going to hurt his neck with as much as he was rubbing it. “So, he was breathing, but…”

“But not enough for us to be comfortable that he could continue to do so,” Dr. Livelong said.

“So it wouldn’t be quick,” Jimmy said quietly. “If we turned it off…” He turned to the frog in the armchair. “Leaper, we can’t do that to him.”

“He’s hurting!” Leaper said. “He’s lying there hurting, and we’re just—He’s already dying,” she whispered.

“No, he’s not!” Kermit argued. “He’s just—He’ll wake up! He will!”

“I’m not letting him suffer like this,” Leaper declared. “If he—if he’s going to—to go, then … we should let him…”

Kermit snatched the ball out from under his nephew’s hand. “For THIS?” He hopped off the bed and stood less than a foot away from Leaper, shaking the ball in her face. “For THIS, Leaper? You’ll let him DIE for THIS?”

“He’s NOT YOUR SON, KERMIT!” Leaper shot to her flippers. “This isn’t your choice!”

“THE HECK IT ISN’T!”

Jimmy wedged himself between them and pushed them apart. “Calm down, both of you,” he begged.

“There’s no need to make a quick decision,” Dr. Livelong added, also standing between Leaper and Kermit now. “You can take plenty of time. In fact, I’d urge you to. He could wake up in just a few hours.”

“Or he might not,” Leaper argued, her eyes damp. “I’m not letting him suffer!”

Kermit stared at her and hugged the ball against his chest. “I’m not letting him die,” he whispered, and he turned to Jimmy. “Please don’t let him die.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

The Muppets were going stir-crazy.

Dr. Livelong had left Robin’s room quite some time ago, but they still were not allowed to go in. The door was closed, and all they knew was that some sort of heated argument was going on within.

They paced nervously and tried to distract themselves in mundane ways—games of poker and tic-tac-toe, most of which were forgotten halfway through.

They made the formal announcement to the press. Yes, Robin had been hit by a car. No, he had not regained consciousness. Yes, his parents were here. No, there didn’t seem to be any brain damage, but his arm had been pretty much shattered. No pictures or interviews were being granted.

Scooter had somehow convinced the hospital to let them use one of the waiting rooms on the first floor for rehearsals in exchange for letting any patients who were well enough see the show free of charge at the end of the week, but no one could focus enough to establish any acts, much less to practice, until they knew what was happening with Robin.

It was well into the afternoon when the door finally opened. Jimmy and Leaper emerged, and both of them looked like they had been crying. They said that they were going down to the cafeteria. Neither of them looked like they had much of an appetite, nor did they say anything else.

Fozzie and Gonzo were the first Muppets to rush into the room, with Sweetums, Rowlf, and Miss Piggy close behind them.

Robin was still in bed, still connected to the respirator, the feeding tube, and the IV. His heart monitor still beeped steadily. His right arm was still wrapped in a bright yellow cast, and his left hand still rested on his ball.

They found Kermit in the room’s private bathroom with tears streaming down his face as he emptied his stomach into the toilet.

“Kermit, what happened?” Fozzie asked anxiously as he put a supportive hand on his friend’s back.

“One week.” Kermit wiped his mouth on the back of his hand. “His parents—” he spat the word out, “Are giving him until one week from today. And then they—they’re gonna—turn off—” He shuddered and collapsed against the bear. “Everything,” he whispered.

“No,” Gonzo gasped. Miss Piggy clamped her hand over her mouth. Fozzie hugged his friend tight and rocked him as both of them cried.

Sweetums quietly lumbered to Robin’s bedside. He knelt down and, careful not to disturb any tubes or wires, gently rubbed a finger against the tiny frog. “Don’t give up, Little Buddy,” he whispered. “You’ve gotta wake up now … please…”

The heart monitor gave the only reply. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Aargh, der Toga, she be a cruel mistress...
But I know she be wantin' to get reviews to post ano'er chapter and get the tally to 18. And I be havin' hops or hopes fer that Chapter 18, if ye know what the number means.

So avast and post more! ! ! Now! ! !
*Hands out tissues to everybody who needs 'em. :cry: