Misinforming Superfoods?

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
I'm glad we agree bingboingcutie, I mean Sesame Street isn't afraid to give their characters small faults and do things kids aren't supposed to do. Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock portray child-like characters the way they should be, innocent at heart but still show that no one's perfect. Nick Jr shows always make one or two characters they err, but have the other main characters do nothing but criticize their friend's faults. It gets really annoying. That's why Fraggle Rock is my favorite kid show, and Sesame Street is up there with some of my other favorites.
:big_grin:That's the way Jim thought, I think. For some reason it just recalls a quote to mind:

"Hey, big nose, want some radish beer?"

"No way! And you shouldn't drink that stuff either. It's not good for you."

--Wembley & the Mean Genie

Not that Wembley is like one of those Nick Jr characters, but they were able to talk about that sort of thing in a kid show (many shows substitute something else for alcohol when it comes to peer pressure issues) and he too gave in to doing a lot of things he was not supposed to do later in the episode.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
:big_grin:That's the way Jim thought, I think. For some reason it just recalls a quote to mind:

"Hey, big nose, want some radish beer?"

"No way! And you shouldn't drink that stuff either. It's not good for you."

--Wembley & the Mean Genie

Not that Wembley is like one of those Nick Jr characters, but they were able to talk about that sort of thing in a kid show (many shows substitute something else for alcohol when it comes to peer pressure issues) and he too gave in to doing a lot of things he was not supposed to do later in the episode.
I agree, and love that episode. The Genie's pretty funny for a Fraggle villian. The Fraggles could show that nobody was all bad, and everyone's capable of good and evil deeds. The Fraggles are realistic characters, because they make mistakes, learn from them, and feel guilty afterwards. Their role in Fraggle Wars made me think of this. Of course the World's Oldest never learns, but you can tell Red, Gobo, Boober, and Wembley don't want to hurt anyone on purpose to save Mokey. You can tell by the way Red says"I think you have to hurt other Fraggles... on purpose" it's an accurate way to put what goes on in a war, and was the best way to explain so children understand. I believe the children today should learn that while war seems to be a way of solving things, it only make things worse. As one of my favorite Fraggle songs says
"We are the children of tommorow. Each one is different and the same. Help us to live here with our other, our brother. One heart, one in hope, one in pain"
(I think I got most of the lyrics right)

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
I agree, and love that episode. The Genie's pretty funny for a Fraggle villian. The Fraggles could show that nobody was all bad, and everyone's capable of good and evil deeds. The Fraggles are realistic characters, because they make mistakes, learn from them, and feel guilty afterwards. Their role in Fraggle Wars made me think of this. Of course the World's Oldest never learns, but you can tell Red, Gobo, Boober, and Wembley don't want to hurt anyone on purpose to save Mokey. You can tell by the way Red says"I think you have to hurt other Fraggles... on purpose" it's an accurate way to put what goes on in a war, and was the best way to explain so children understand. I believe the children today should learn that while war seems to be a way of solving things, it only make things worse. As one of my favorite Fraggle songs says
"We are the children of tommorow. Each one is different and the same. Help us to live here with our other, our brother. One heart, one in hope, one in pain"
(I think I got most of the lyrics right)
:smile: I feel like Jim Henson was talking directly to me. :big_grin:
I love what Wembley says about hurting people on purpose. He's so innocent. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Remember this about the argument...

we're not talking about stuff that's extremely bad for you.

We're talking about milk, vegetables, and whole grains. Stuff that's apparently not good enough for healthy kids. Again, while I find the obesity rate, while an actual problem, media hype that makes it sound like an urgent matter... and what do people do in urgent matters? Panic. So we have the whole obesity epidemic, a sensationalized media term that everyone overreacted to... and we've had this for almost 10 years now. Everyone tried very hard to make things "better," usually by punishing everyone and everything that doesn't actually solve the problem.

Who overreacts to this the most? Upperclass, well to do, spoiled parents of spoiled kids. People who actually can afford organic local everything. This Sesame Street special/episode caters to those who Sesame Street was intended for, the lower class. the lower class is the one with the problem because healthy foods are too expensive, and when it comes to money, quantity beats out quality every time. I mean, a 3 dollar gallon of milk, or 3 3 liter Jolly Fun soda bottles? What would you rather have if your a slave to minimum wage?

So Sesame Street basically says "Hey kids, instead of drinking soda, drink milk." and the upperclass organic heads complain that they're teaching kids to drink milk instead of soy based, 5 dollar a quart, dairy flavored beverage. That's what we're getting at here. NOTHING is technically healthy for you if you consume too much. The only thing we should be eating is raw vegetables. No one has discovered anything wrong with them yet. And once they do, we're left eating some raw gluten free soy paste.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
:smile: I feel like Jim Henson was talking directly to me. :big_grin:
I love what Wembley says about hurting people on purpose. He's so innocent. :smile:
I think that's how the Genie hoodwinked him so easily. Wembley wants to be nice to everybody, and is nervous about what would happen if he said he wanted to do. That's the sweet thing about him.

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
I think that's how the Genie hoodwinked him so easily. Wembley wants to be nice to everybody, and is nervous about what would happen if he said he wanted to do. That's the sweet thing about him.
Oh, yes. Sometimes I feel like that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Why don't they just turn us into rabbits while they're at it? :big_grin:
Scientists haven't ruined that option for us yet. But when they do...

Still, telling kids to not eat candy and to pick up an apple (and quite honestly, kids shouldn't eat too much fruit or drink too much juice as well because of the sugars... natural sugars, but sugars nonetheless) shouldn't be the subject of debate when we're talking to low income families and kids of them. Yet, there needs to be a greater effort to get low cost fruits and vegetables in the hands of these people without quibbling about how much dairy should we really consume or expensive premium vegetables that only a certain amount of people can afford. We have a broken food production system, and it's like Wal*Mart... the only option for the poor, and they want it to stay that way. If these hyper organics that can afford the highest quality stuff really gave a crap, they'd actually use their way too much money to do something. I've heard horror stories where gas stations and convenience stores were the only food sellers in certain really low class neighborhoods.