"Being Elmo" now in select theaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaker

Reaction score
I have to admit, as much as I've been critical of the Elmo character, this documentary just looks insanely good. Powerful, moving...just wow.

Also this is a Muppet documentary all around, not just specifically Sesame Street from what I can gather.

Trailer:

I got to meet Kevin Clash, but had no idea his whole backstory. It's rare to see any sort of performer go the distance like he seems to have. You can really tell he channels that inner kid with every performance and can truly connect with kids. Even if someone laughs at the idea of Muppets, puppets or Sesame Street his story alone should inspire people to follow their dreams.

I just wish this was getting a wider release

zns

Reaction score
It will be released on DVD at some point thank goodness. I can't wait to see this too. Now they need to do a documentary on Caroll Spinney. :wisdom::grouchy::laugh:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wish it came here earlier than November. it comes out a little too close to the other movie, and I'm sure it's just a one day one showing.

Seriously, I love linear Muppet movie storylines, but the true Muppet fan in me ALSO loves to see any and every BTS footage possible.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
It will be released on DVD at some point thank goodness. I can't wait to see this too. Now they need to do a documentary on Caroll Spinney. :wisdom::grouchy::laugh:
It's also going to be aired on PBS spring of next year on their series "Independent Lens". It opens up at the IFC theater here in NYC on Oct. 21st

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Now they need to do a documentary on Caroll Spinney. :wisdom::grouchy::laugh:
I agree, I think a documentary about Caroll would be nice, that way, he and Kevin both would have memoirs published and documentaries about them... the closest thing to that is on YouTube, there's like a 6-part inteview with him(and each part is like half an hour, so you're lookin gat roughly three hours of Caroll telling us his life story)... it IS dated though, I think it was taped before Season 32 began, and he shared some really interesting anecdotes about working with the Muppets, including how Jim told him about TMS being his dream, even back in 1969, about a time he and Kermit Love were about to be arrested at an airport because Kermit refused to open the bass violoin case that was carrying Big Bird's body, and even mentioning that he and Dr. Loretta Long did a pilot of their own together.

beaker

Reaction score
I agree, I think a documentary about Caroll would be nice, that way, he and Kevin both would have memoirs published and documentaries about them... the closest thing to that is on YouTube, there's like a 6-part inteview with him(and each part is like half an hour, so you're lookin gat roughly three hours of Caroll telling us his life story)... it IS dated though, I think it was taped before Season 32 began, and he shared some really interesting anecdotes about working with the Muppets, including how Jim told him about TMS being his dream, even back in 1969, about a time he and Kermit Love were about to be arrested at an airport because Kermit refused to open the bass violoin case that was carrying Big Bird's body, and even mentioning that he and Dr. Loretta Long did a pilot of their own together.
That sounds epic! Got a link? I wish I could video the video someone shot of the Spinney/Oscar borders books thing I was at in Berkeley back in 2003 when he spoke.

Sam O'Rama

Reaction score
It's in Chicago November 25-December 1. A perfect time to pair it with The Muppets!

RockSTAR girl

Reaction score
Heads up guys! The LA showing this Friday and Saturday at 730p will have a QandA afterwards with Kevin himself. Ill be at the Saturday showing. Come out!

RockSTAR girl

Reaction score
Saw this last night. WOW! It was brilliant. So good.
My rotten tomatoes review: "This movie is so brilliant. The story of a kid who followed his heart and went on to create a character that has impacted MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of childrens lives. You really couldn't write a better story. The director makes AMAZING use of discovered vintage footage and photos to tell the story of Kevin Clash's childhood and his rise to working with his idol: Jim Henson. It's an inspiring, empowering, and fun movie. I HIGHLY recommend. One of the best documentaries I've seen this year, no, one of the best MOVIES I've seen this year."

They made great use of this footage they found of Kevin when he was younger from a cool special he did with Kermit Love, I think called "The Big Blue Ball" I might be wrong. It fit into the movie so well. And family interviews, and puppeteer interviews, and footage from Captain Kangaroo, and The Great Space Coaster. It was a total walk through Kevin's Career and passion for puppetry. Thats all intercut with really beautiful Elmo moments where Kevin will just pick him up and say something that causes the audience to burst with laughter.
I dont want to give away any great moments though, because really, you've just got to see it.
These are the movies that we, as Muppet/ Puppetry fans dream of. GO SEE IT!! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.