1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

"Being Elmo" now in select theaters

Discussion in 'Sesame Appearances' started by beaker, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I have to admit, as much as I've been critical of the Elmo character, this documentary just looks insanely good. Powerful, moving...just wow.

Also this is a Muppet documentary all around, not just specifically Sesame Street from what I can gather.

Trailer:

I got to meet Kevin Clash, but had no idea his whole backstory. It's rare to see any sort of performer go the distance like he seems to have. You can really tell he channels that inner kid with every performance and can truly connect with kids. Even if someone laughs at the idea of Muppets, puppets or Sesame Street his story alone should inspire people to follow their dreams.

I just wish this was getting a wider release
  2. zns

zns Well-Known Member

It will be released on DVD at some point thank goodness. I can't wait to see this too. Now they need to do a documentary on Caroll Spinney. :wisdom::grouchy::laugh:
    MJTaylor likes this.
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I wish it came here earlier than November. it comes out a little too close to the other movie, and I'm sure it's just a one day one showing.

Seriously, I love linear Muppet movie storylines, but the true Muppet fan in me ALSO loves to see any and every BTS footage possible.
  4. MelissaY1

MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

It's also going to be aired on PBS spring of next year on their series "Independent Lens". It opens up at the IFC theater here in NYC on Oct. 21st
  5. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I agree, I think a documentary about Caroll would be nice, that way, he and Kevin both would have memoirs published and documentaries about them... the closest thing to that is on YouTube, there's like a 6-part inteview with him(and each part is like half an hour, so you're lookin gat roughly three hours of Caroll telling us his life story)... it IS dated though, I think it was taped before Season 32 began, and he shared some really interesting anecdotes about working with the Muppets, including how Jim told him about TMS being his dream, even back in 1969, about a time he and Kermit Love were about to be arrested at an airport because Kermit refused to open the bass violoin case that was carrying Big Bird's body, and even mentioning that he and Dr. Loretta Long did a pilot of their own together.
  6. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

That sounds epic! Got a link? I wish I could video the video someone shot of the Spinney/Oscar borders books thing I was at in Berkeley back in 2003 when he spoke.
  7. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

I actually got a tape of that in a trade years ago! It's just too bad I have no idea where the tape is.

And here's the YouTube interview...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLsfnno9NRs
  8. Sam O'Rama

Sam O'Rama New Member

It's in Chicago November 25-December 1. A perfect time to pair it with The Muppets!
  9. RockSTAR girl

RockSTAR girl Member

Heads up guys! The LA showing this Friday and Saturday at 730p will have a QandA afterwards with Kevin himself. Ill be at the Saturday showing. Come out!
  10. RockSTAR girl

RockSTAR girl Member

Saw this last night. WOW! It was brilliant. So good.
    My rotten tomatoes review: "This movie is so brilliant. The story of a kid who followed his heart and went on to create a character that has impacted MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of childrens lives. You really couldn't write a better story. The director makes AMAZING use of discovered vintage footage and photos to tell the story of Kevin Clash's childhood and his rise to working with his idol: Jim Henson. It's an inspiring, empowering, and fun movie. I HIGHLY recommend. One of the best documentaries I've seen this year, no, one of the best MOVIES I've seen this year."

They made great use of this footage they found of Kevin when he was younger from a cool special he did with Kermit Love, I think called "The Big Blue Ball" I might be wrong. It fit into the movie so well. And family interviews, and puppeteer interviews, and footage from Captain Kangaroo, and The Great Space Coaster. It was a total walk through Kevin's Career and passion for puppetry. Thats all intercut with really beautiful Elmo moments where Kevin will just pick him up and say something that causes the audience to burst with laughter.
    I dont want to give away any great moments though, because really, you've just got to see it.
    These are the movies that we, as Muppet/ Puppetry fans dream of. GO SEE IT!! :laugh:
  11. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I can't wait! The trailer looked visionary. And there's clips of his time on Great Space Coaster? I LOVED that show as a little kid, had all the plushes.
    RockSTAR girl likes this.
  12. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

13. I just wanted to mention that the program was titled "Big Blue Marble", and it was fantastic to see that footage!

Also, in case I forget before writing it down somewhere else, Kevin mentioned that Richard Hunt "loved Schweppes ginger ale, tuna, and opera." I think the only reason this came up is because Kevin was talking about how Richard hated performing Elmo, among other things, and he wanted to counter that by telling us about something that Richard actually enjoyed.
  14. Puckrox

Puckrox Well-Known Member

I'm excited. I've heard really good things about Being Elmo, and I already have a plan with a friend for the day after Thanksgiving, when we're both home in Portland, to go see Being Elmo and then The Muppets together. :laugh:
  15. Muppet fan 123

Is the movie coming out EVERYWHERE in November? I know it's in New York now
  16. Puckrox

It's still only coming out to select cities. Here:

http://beingelmo.com/playdates.php

There's a list of all the places it'll be playing at and when it'll start showing. :laugh:
  17. Muppet fan 123

It's not coming to me!!
  18. Puckrox

Oh no! That's awful!

I think if the film generates a lot of interest it may start showing at more locations. Since it was sort of low budget and an indie film, not too many people know about it. But hopefully lots of people will go and see it and then it'll stay in theaters longer and then everyone will get a chance to see it!

I only have one chance to see it, and that's November 25th, the day it opens in Portland. I go back to college the following day, so I'm gonna have to see it on opening day, which is totally fine with me. :)
  19. RockSTAR girl

RockSTAR girl Member

No wonder I cant find anything about it in Google lol. Glad you remembered!
  20. MuppetLabsBoy

MuppetLabsBoy Member

I recently saw it and I must say that you should see it. You will have a new appreciation for Elmo and see Kevin Clash in a new light. If you have read, "My Life as a Furry Red Monster," some of the stories that he tells are told in the documentary with actual video footage. But, there are also MANY other experiences that are shared in the movie that will make you laugh and cry. I highly recommend this movie to anyone. :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.