Why isn't Skeeter a Muppet?

Drtooth

Reaction score
As for the "not having Pepe as a main character" thing, well that's an example of not being able to please everyone. Let's not forget their were some fans who didn't like Pepe and thought of him as the "Elmo of the Muppet show Muppets," cause he became so popular.
I wish he really WAS the Elmo of the Muppets so we could have actual merchandise with him on it.

I'd say Animal's the Elmo of the Muppets... he's on more stuff than Kermit half the time. I Love Animal, but there's 4 other members of the Electric Mayhem (5, if you count Lips).
I think that bringing back Skeeter in a movie would be good/bad. Good in the sense that we actually get to see the Muppet Baby Skeeter all grown up and she would still be what they originally intended her to be in Muppet Babies, which is something to off-set Ms Piggy, also it would be great to see how Ms. Piggy and Scooter would react to her flirting with Kermit. Bad in the sense that they've never really introduced Scooter in the realm of the actual Muppets as having any siblings, so to introduce a twin sister, even though Muppet Babies had it, would still be kind of a continuity breaker don't ya think? I mean, I don't know if any of the newer fans would know much about Muppet Babies to know about Skeeter being Scooters sister. Although the concept is intriguing to have Skeeter as a Muppet doing a viral video.
I don't see why retconning Skeeter is such a bad thing. Even with the comic book ...

well, straight from Roger's Mouth...

Our friend, the lovely Mr. Jim Lewis, requested that we make Skeeter’s appearance on the show a little bit ambiguous as to whether it was happening “in continuity” or not. The chess sequence was my way of addressing that – is it real or isn’t it? Well, it’s as real as you want it to be.
I don't understand why it mattered... there's no real such thing as Muppet canon anyway... and Adult Skeeter's every bit a comics only creation as Kismet the Toad or Clint Wacky.

I think the problem is the fact that Skeeter implies the fact Muppet Babies is canon. For some reason, everyone looks past cartoon shows. Ghostbusters never took The Real Ghostbusters into canon, when RGB took every literal thing that happened in the movies as plot (the two episodes that came with the 2 movie box set had basis in movie plotline, the destruction of Gozer and the Stay Puft Marshmallow goo in one, the emotion based slime from the second movie in another)... Men in Black II didn't care about Men in Black the series (though, if Kay really did get neutralized at the end of the first movie, why is he back as an agent? It could take place after the second one, but then Elle was said to have left in that movie). The only Muppet project to acknowledge Muppet Babies was MFC, with that strange home movie.... after all, Muppet babies WAS a fantasy sequence from Miss Piggy in MTM... and that can't even be made into a viable canon anyway. They're big Hollywood stars. Making a Broadway musical should be cake.

So, I guess Henson and even Disney just didn't want a Muppet adult Skeeter retconned because they wanted to keep MB a separate thing. It's a shame she didn't get the Harley Quinn treatment (so beloved after Batman TAS, she was adopted into the comics as something darker). Though, honestly, I don't think anyone would have done as smashing a job as Roger and Amy did to create an older version of her.

Drtooth

Reaction score
On the subject... it's funny what they retcon in certain things.

Apparently, the Sonic video games reference his love of Chili Dogs that came out of the US comics and cartoon series.

Eh... some people want to retcon, come don't. That's the case here.

BeakerFan14

Reaction score

When I was little I thought Skeeter grew up to be the guy who threw fish boomarangs (can't think of his name) but then I wondered why he/she had a mostache
:fishy::eek:

Whatnot1988

Reaction score
When I was little I thought Skeeter grew up to be the guy who threw fish boomarangs (can't think of his name) but then I wondered why he/she had a mostache
That's Lew Zealand.

Anyway, I just thought of something about Skeeter (even though I have read a few pages of the "Family Reunion" comic).

We all know that Scooter (on TMS) always go what he wanted just by saying, "My uncle owns the theatre." Would Skeeter be likely use this excuse to get what she wants?

Moreover, what would JP Grosse himself have to say about his long-lost niece?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
It would depend on when JP began to take care of Scooter (assuming he did ... where are Scooter's parents?). If something happened and JP took Scooter on later, maybe he didn't know about Skeeter at all. Or maybe he did.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It would depend on when JP began to take care of Scooter (assuming he did ... where are Scooter's parents?). If something happened and JP took Scooter on later, maybe he didn't know about Skeeter at all. Or maybe he did.
Yeah. That's something we'd have to fan piece together. I'm not so sure if she were really to use that one. Seems like she basically got work in the comic because Scooter vouched for her. Her uncle owns the theater, but she's never been in the theater before, so that would probably be a moot point. If, in the basis of the comic book, her uncle also owned the spy agency, that would do some good for here there.

Still, the thing is until now, Henson and Disney have been distancing themselves from Muppet Babies being in their Muppets. Other than that weird bout of nostalgic merchandise back in 2004, you really don't see them around much. But even since the show began, there wasn't really a nod to them being connected. Sure, the actual Kermit hosted some videos, but that was about it.

I don't think Skeeter was ever meant to be retroactively put back in the cast. On the plus side, I don't think anyone could have made the character as wonderful as Roger and Amy did.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Yeah. That's something we'd have to fan piece together. I'm not so sure if she were really to use that one. Seems like she basically got work in the comic because Scooter vouched for her. Her uncle owns the theater, but she's never been in the theater before, so that would probably be a moot point. If, in the basis of the comic book, her uncle also owned the spy agency, that would do some good for here there.

Still, the thing is until now, Henson and Disney have been distancing themselves from Muppet Babies being in their Muppets. Other than that weird bout of nostalgic merchandise back in 2004, you really don't see them around much. But even since the show began, there wasn't really a nod to them being connected. Sure, the actual Kermit hosted some videos, but that was about it.

I don't think Skeeter was ever meant to be retroactively put back in the cast. On the plus side, I don't think anyone could have made the character as wonderful as Roger and Amy did.
Well something I don't understand is why Jim (Henson of course) and Frank and people decided to give Scooter a Sister, when she was never in any Muppet Production befor but not only that, she wasn't in any muppet production after Muppet Babies either, What Happened to her? Is she in the new muppet movie? I have so many questions on this new movie, 23 More days!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well something I don't understand is why Jim (Henson of course) and Frank and people decided to give Scooter a Sister, when she was never in any Muppet Production befor but not only that, she wasn't in any muppet production after Muppet Babies either, What Happened to her?
Skeeter was added to the cast to round out the female character quotient and also to add the almost stereotypical tom boy-ish athlete character that was quite the over used trope in the 1980's. I don't think it was Jim or Frank or whoever... it clearly had to go by Jim, and he allowed it. There weren't very many Muppet projects around that time (Jim was starting to do deeper things like Dark Crystal), and by the time The Jim Henson Hour popped up, Jim was working with new characters. Then, well... you know... he passed on and they just never bothered bringing the character back, despite constantly creating new characters for new projects, the character was never revisited. Now I think they're just being stubborn about the whole thing, but seeing Skeeter in the comics is a sign of change that some people want to acknowledge the Muppet Babies and Skeeter.

But I said it before and I'll say it again, would Skeeter been half as great as Roger and Amy made her? Absolutely not! I wish some higher up will take those into consideration and put her in an actual Muppet project. Get either Karen Prell or Jennifer Barnhart or Leslie Cararra to perform her. Those seem to be the ideal choices.

Misskermie

Reaction score
My personal opinion about Skeeter is that maybe they didn't want more fighting between Skeeter and Piggy because they fought a lot about Kermit... or at least Skeeter was crossing the line, and Piggy was in her face about it.:big_grin:

But my point is, maybe they didn't want to mess up Piggy's adult character with what could be her worst frienemy.
I really don't know...:confused:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Eh... no. It's just because they never intended for Muppet Babies to be anything but a cartoon show and a line of merchandise. Sort of like how the Real Ghostbusters cartoon takes EVERYTHING that happened in the movie and references those events, but the second movie ignores everything that happened in the show in between the movies. They've been out of business and sort of split up according to the second film.

That's just how franchises are run... unlike the Matrix which takes every comic book, video game, and animated anthology into it's canon.