"The Power of the Dark Crystal" on hold yet again

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-hill/the-lost-amazings_b_1006072.html

Henson's been dealing with the exact same sort of issues when it comes to its six-year-effort to get a sequel to Jim's epic 1982 fantasy, "The Dark Crystal" produced. Late last year, the Company announced that "The Power of the Dark Crystal" would soon begin shooting in Australia with brothers Peter and Michael Spierig serving as this movie's directors. But just last month, at a "Jim Henson: Friends and Family" panel, Cheryl Henson revealed that this project - which was to be released in 2013 -- had been placed on hold yet again.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
At this point, I'm really just ready for this project to die. It's never going to happen, it's going to go way of the Fraggle Rock movie.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
ohh!...well let me just put on my big suprise face!!!:shifty:
Mark your calendar right now!

Seriously, if this movie gets made, I'll smash my laptop. If this and the Fraggle movie get made, I'll blow up my house. :crazy:

(That said, an actual Mickey Mouse Muppet would be quite interesting to see)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Honestly, the FR movie COULD have been made had the company Henson partnered with didn't all but go bankrupt. They needed a third partner to get it done. Somehow, seeing the crap that went down with Hoodwinked Too, I'm glad it didn't get made.

POTDC was never going to get made. Let's face it. It's too big and expansive a project. Even Fraggle rebuilding wouldn't quite cost the fortune it would to make all those Geflings and Skesi (Skesises?)... I mean, the Gorgs and if they want to put Marjorie in the film that could have been a problem... but either way, POTDC would have to completely build everything from the ground up.

And let's be serious... how many long delayed sequels to a movie are actually good? Especially when they get all these rewrites and delays... the longer it takes to get a movie out there, the less chance it's going to be good. Look what happened with Little Nemo in Slumberland. That was completely screwed up when you know the story.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
I kept holding out hope it would happen, regardless of common sense. I really would like them to admit that it's not happening, rather than constantly putting its release date two years away.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
And let's be serious... how many long delayed sequels to a movie are actually good? Especially when they get all these rewrites and delays... the longer it takes to get a movie out there, the less chance it's going to be good. Look what happened with Little Nemo in Slumberland. That was completely screwed up when you know the story.
Also Tron: Legacy... although, I'm not crazy about the first in general. Both are strong in visuals, and exceptionally weak when it comes to telling a coherent story.

I hope this is still happening. I love the world and would love to visit it again.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Also Tron: Legacy... although, I'm not crazy about the first in general. Both are strong in visuals, and exceptionally weak when it comes to telling a coherent story.
I understand wanting a new Indiana Jones, a New Star Wars, or a New Ghostbusters movie. I mean, disappointing or not, they're massive hit franchises that made small fortunes over the years. But a new Tron? The movie's cult and it's basically cult FOR being a flop. Even if Tron 2 bombed, it would make a lot more than the first one did. I can see complaints for the new Indiana Jones and Star Wars films... but how can a movie that no body really liked like Tron "hold up?" Does it even matter if a movie that wasn't all that popular gets a sequel that's not all that popular and the new film isn't great, even though the old one wasn't?

That's like if they made a... what's that bad 1980's off brand Gremlins wanna be franchise? Creatures? Kritters? Something like that with squishy foam puppets that are more goofy looking than scary? If they made a long awaited sequel to that and those who see it say it didn't hold up.

Dark Crystal was an amazing movie (that I haven't seen in decades... what's taking me so long?) and a sequel will no doubt have a huge burden to carry. it may not have been a hit, but it is cult for the right reasons. It's an underrated gem. Tron... Tron was someone trying to make a hip movie about them video computer games that were popular with them crazy youngsters and their tight jeans and Rubix cubes and their Mello Yello.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I understand wanting a new Indiana Jones, a New Star Wars, or a New Ghostbusters movie. I mean, disappointing or not, they're massive hit franchises that made small fortunes over the years. But a new Tron? The movie's cult and it's basically cult FOR being a flop. Even if Tron 2 bombed, it would make a lot more than the first one did. I can see complaints for the new Indiana Jones and Star Wars films... but how can a movie that no body really liked like Tron "hold up?" Does it even matter if a movie that wasn't all that popular gets a sequel that's not all that popular and the new film isn't great, even though the old one wasn't?
The first is beloved by a lot of people, though. A lot of people. And I get that. I don't love it but I've got my fascinations like everyone else. I am, unabashedly so, a diehard fan of the Fast & Furious movies. I'll see each new entry in the franchise.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I am, unabashedly so, a diehard fan of the Fast & Furious movies. I'll see each new entry in the franchise.
Not a fan of those, but at least that's a get what you expect franchise that doesn't have such a hard time getting sequels out there. I'd say F&F is the same as a horror movie franchise (Jason, Freddy Kruger... stuff like that) where the sequels are pretty regular. But a 20+ year jump like Tron or this one... that's not really inviting any confidence.

I've said before I'm far more annoyed we didn't get a FR movie than a DC sequel. The Muppets have had 7 theatricals, Sesame Street had 2. FR is the third big Muppet Franchise and that deserves a theatrical look. I mean, look how big and wonderful and realistic Sesame Street looks in FTB! Crowded, big, loud... like a real city. And you see it on television it's like an apartment building and a store. Could you imagine how the caves of Fraggle Rock would look with a film budget?