Cartoon all stars to the rescue.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Did anyone here see the Dinosaurs episode "A New Leaf" Here's a brief (not really that brief summary)
Robbie and Earl have a fight, and Robbie and Spike unknowingly eat a plant for dinner that's really a drug. It makes them feel very happy, and Robbie shares it with Earl. They get along again, but then Charlene tastes it too. Even Mr. Richfield becomes a victim of the plant. Eventually Fran and Baby leave home until Earl, Robbie, and Charlene come to their sense.Great episode. Funny, but kinda sad at the same time. It ends with Robbie telling you to stay away from drugs for some very important They Ruin Lives, Break families apart, and worst of all........................... Lead TO PREACHY SITCOM EPISODES! :eek:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It ends with Robbie telling you to stay away from drugs for some very important They Ruin Lives, Break families apart, and worst of all........................... Lead TO PREACHY SITCOM EPISODES! :eek:
Lol, very true.

For me the best anti drug shows still came from Thundercats, both involving Tygra, he just seemed to have an addictive personality for some reason, lol. They talked about how addicts can put their friends' lives in danger just to get another fix. And how you can think a drug is making you more powerful, but in reality it's making you weak and dependent.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They made us watch that in 5th grade during our drug education program (D.A.R.E., of course). While it was kind of cool seeing the Ninja Turtles and Muppet babies (two of my childhood icons) together, I honestly think that the only way this special could keep kids from using drugs is if you threatened to play it again if they do. :big_grin:
Someone HAS to have ironically sparked up a doob and watched it.

Yeah, there HAS to have been a better way for all these cartoon characters to mingle. And I don't mean "This is my childhood" 80's cartoon collage fan arts.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Lol, very true.

For me the best anti drug shows still came from Thundercats, both involving Tygra, he just seemed to have an addictive personality for some reason, lol. They talked about how addicts can put their friends' lives in danger just to get another fix. And how you can think a drug is making you more powerful, but in reality it's making you weak and dependent.
Yeah it is true. It makes sense coming from Robbie, because he and his family love TV.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I find it odd how many articles about this special as well as The Nostalgia Critic's review seem to overreact on the characters knowing about drugs. I don't seem anything wrong with that. I remember when I was in high school somebody talked about this special, thinking it was weird when Bugs Bunny said "What's this,a joint?"

I would like to see some interviews with people who worked on the special, especially now. I'd like to know the creative process, like if they talked with writers of the various cartoons or watched them to know how to write for them in character.

A few interesting nitpicks I have:
  • Smurfette appears on the cover, but isn't in the special at all.
  • Tigger is pretty much useless here. He just appears during the musical number, rows a boat with Miss Piggy, and appears in the final group shot. Nothing he does is really notable.
  • It's hard to determine if the characters are really there or if they are a result of drug hallutionations. Corey can see and interract with smoke, when Michael's not around. Pooh also comes to life before her, though him coming to live seems more like a result of her being worried about Michael.
  • It's not often you see Michaleangelo participate in a musical number (though he speaks his way trhough his big line of the song). It's also a shame the Chipmunks didn't sing more, and a shame Bugs Bunny didn't get to sing (he sang in a number of classic Warner Bros. shorts).
  • Slimer appears at the beginning, and then he sort of disapears until the final group shot. He should have been in the musical sequence.
  • Gonzo only appears in his regular outfit in a couple of shots in the msuical number. Even in the final group shot, he's in his artist attire from the rollercoaster sequence.
  • Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck are among the few characters to first appear in solo scenes without the other cartoon characters. Michaelengelo is perhaps the only other one (should we count Huey, Dewy, and Louie, whose first scene is as a group?).

robodog

Reaction score
I think a lot of people find it strange that children's characters would know about something adult like drugs. It seems out of place somehow. Frankly I think there are a few older cartoon characters that would probably know a thing or two about drugs and worse. Take the Care Bears for example. It's been awhile since I've seen those shows but I seem to recall them coming down from the clouds and helping children in need. If they do this on a regular basis it isn't unusual to think of them encountering and having to help out kids who are on drugs, or kids who are being abused. It never happened in the shows because of network censors but in reality things happen to kids that are much worse than moving away or having a fight with a friend and characters that are essentialy fuzzy guardian angels would have to deal with it. There actually exists a fanfic where one of the Care Bears gets there too late and the kid commits suicide. The fic deals with the aftermath and how the bear deals with their failure to save the kid's life. It's really strange to take these fluffy, sugary characters and force them to deal with something that's much darker than what they usually have to cope with but at the same time it's interesting as well.

mr3urious

Reaction score
And of all the Ninja Turtles the producers could have used, they picked Michaelangelo, the one who always has the munchies (particularly for strange pizza toppings). Sure, he was the most popular with kids, but they should've gotten a clue as to why. :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
And of all the Ninja Turtles the producers could have used, they picked Michaelangelo, the one who always has the munchies (particularly for strange pizza toppings). Sure, he was the most popular with kids, but they should've gotten a clue as to why. :stick_out_tongue:
They ALL were like that. Mikey just was the one that ate more than the others. I find it annoying and hilarious at the same time. Everyone thinks the turtles all talk like Mikey, but then they think Mikey's the only one that ate Pizza. I love the old cartoon and all, but the pizza meme just irks me. Especially since they actually ate Chinese food in the comics. The one thing I liked about the new series? No Pizza jokes. Even though Playmates and various merchandisers didn't get that memo.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The one thing I liked about the new series? No Pizza jokes.
I have to admit, I miss the pizza jokes, lol.

As far as this special, it made sense that they picked Michelangelo, he was like the cute little mascot of the group, lol.