The 10 Worst Muppets?

DramaQueenMokey

Reaction score
I would just like to clear up that the only reason I think Wayne and Wanda belong on the list is because of Wayne. Wayne is the one who ruins them.

However, I like Wanda <3 She's cute ^^

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Okay, here's my list.
Worst Muppets from 10 (wouldn't last as a main character) to 1 (WORST EVER)

10. Mr. Poodlepants: He's a great gag character, but not a character that can last as a main character. Even though he's never really had a role that lasted beyond sketches, it's best that it stays that way.

9. Lindbergh: Just wasn't a funny character. But he wasn't on the screen too long.

8. Semore: It's a comedy team sort of thing. Without Pepe he's nothing, without him Pepe's nothing. (In my opinion)

7. Angelo: It's just a Politically Correct Italian version of Swedish Chef except he's not goofy, or the least bit funny. Kind of like Pepe. (No offense to Pepe fans)

6. Walter: Okay I admit, it's sort of a High School situation. Don't pick on the new guy before you get to know them. I'm just taking a gamble on the new guy before he becomes a beyond the movie character. LOL

5. Bobo: He was funny on Muppets Tonight because he was such a lazy security guard, but afterwords. Ugh.

4. Rizzo: okay, I admit, he's not a terrable character. He can be funny in The Muppet Christmas Carol, Muppets Take Manhattan, and Muppet Treasure Island. And he's great with Gonzo. And he was good on Muppets Tonight, good not great. It's just that I can only take so much of him. Him and Pepe together, (sigh) I rather see more of the classic characters.

3. Bean Bunny: I personally can stand Bean a heck of a lot more than Elmo (shivers), it's like a character you can only stand for so long. Plus he was from Tale of The Bunny Picnic (Don't even get me started with this special. LOL), but it was funny when he came to The Muppets on The Jim Henson Hour - Muppet Christmas Carol and the characters can't stand him either. Kind of like Elmo in the 80s episodes of Sesame, similar situation.

2. Hilda: She wasn't even funny to me. I always found her to be just plain mean and unlikeable. She always was mean to Gonzo and Fozzie, ALWAYS! Thank God she got dropped from the show after season 1.

1. Pepe: I just find him annoying now. I wouldn't feel this way much if they just brought back Semore. But we all know Brian Henson is off doing Stuffed and Unstrung.

Drtooth

Reaction score
7. Angelo: It's just a Politically Correct Italian version of Swedish Chef except he's not goofy, or the least bit funny. Kind of like Pepe. (No offense to Pepe fans)
I contend the fact that Angelo was created because the Swedish Chef would be completely watered down and confined in that situation to basically handing the wrong instrument to Cat Cora, nodding his head in agreement to random things, and repeating what she says in mock Swedish. Somehow, there was some internal politics or something that suggested that kind of Swedish Chef wouldn't have worked, and Angelo basically came out of a Photoshopping job, replacing the Chef in the D23 promos. Which is why the puppet looks a little bland.

Let's face it... that whole series was concept over substance... I think they did the best they could with it, and the interstitials in the middle of the episodes (Franenfurterstein, the Snoogie) were the highlights of the project.

Angelo wasn't Politically Correct, he was completely and utterly stifled as a character. The World's Biggest Sandwich episode showed that the character could break easily under pressure, and we SHOULD have seen more of that. Thing ended the next episode. other than that, I found Angelo to probably be a parody of those BAD cooking shows where there's more than one chef, and all one of them does is make bad jokes, and laugh at the one who's really cooking's even worse jokes. I've seen a couple of them, and that's a couple too many. Other than that, I'm disappointed Tyler Bunch didn't do anything more with the character. he usually plays such wacky bombastic characters... like Dr. Nitwhite on Between the Lions. If only Angelo was as egotistical and easily frustrated as that.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I contend the fact that Angelo was created because the Swedish Chef would be completely watered down and confined in that situation to basically handing the wrong instrument to Cat Cora, nodding his head in agreement to random things, and repeating what she says in mock Swedish. Somehow, there was some internal politics or something that suggested that kind of Swedish Chef wouldn't have worked, and Angelo basically came out of a Photoshopping job, replacing the Chef in the D23 promos. Which is why the puppet looks a little bland.

Let's face it... that whole series was concept over substance... I think they did the best they could with it, and the interstitials in the middle of the episodes (Franenfurterstein, the Snoogie) were the highlights of the project.

Angelo wasn't Politically Correct, he was completely and utterly stifled as a character. The World's Biggest Sandwich episode showed that the character could break easily under pressure, and we SHOULD have seen more of that. Thing ended the next episode. other than that, I found Angelo to probably be a parody of those BAD cooking shows where there's more than one chef, and all one of them does is make bad jokes, and laugh at the one who's really cooking's even worse jokes. I've seen a couple of them, and that's a couple too many. Other than that, I'm disappointed Tyler Bunch didn't do anything more with the character. he usually plays such wacky bombastic characters... like Dr. Nitwhite on Between the Lions. If only Angelo was as egotistical and easily frustrated as that.
Yeah, I agree. And one of the things that I've noticed about Muppet characters is that most of the greatest characters are dysfunctional. Kermit has Anger Management problems, Miss Piggy's aggressive, Animal is primitive, Fozzie is insecure, etc. And it just seems like new characters don't have that anymore. Even Sesame back in their hayday had this Muppet formula. Heck, even Elmo was a character that annoyed all the other characters back in the 80s. But now new characters are just flat, duel and bland. You can only have so many straight-men, need more gag characters and more humorous and likable characters.

I remember when I first saw a picture of Angelo and I showed the picture to my best friend, he thought he looked like he was from Sesame and not from The Muppets probably because the Muppet design style changed by the time of The Muppet Show and not as simple like it was before it.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I honestly can't remember what Mr. Poodlepants even did. He had a large role in, what, 3 sketches over the course of the show? I won't say he's a terrible character because he was barely one to begin with. If anything, he was just a useless one.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. And one of the things that I've noticed about Muppet characters is that most of the greatest characters are dysfunctional. Kermit has Anger Management problems, Miss Piggy's aggressive, Animal is primitive, Fozzie is insecure, etc. And it just seems like new characters don't have that anymore. Even Sesame back in their hayday had this Muppet formula. Heck, even Elmo was a character that annoyed all the other characters back in the 80s. But now new characters are just flat, duel and bland. You can only have so many straight-men, need more gag characters and more humorous and likable characters.
I completely disagree that all new characters are flat. I found Johnny and Sal to be a complete delight of how they play off of everyone else and themselves, I think VanNeuter was a brilliant bit. It's just that Angelo came out of weird problems of a weird concept. A cooking show where you don't actually cook, but you can't do anything all that fun with it. They gave it their best shot, in the end it could have been much better... but even then, much better wouldn't have been all that memorable either. There was no room for conflict half the time, and that's what builds comedy. If Angelo either got easily frustrated or had some issues with any of the characters (like he sorta kinda did with Andy and Randy in the last one) there would have been something there. Even if he had some sort of rivalry with the Chef, there would have been something there...

Like this artist's rendering...

But the show demanded the culinary endeavors (save the sandwich) prove successful. Why is the Swedish Chef funny? His goofy accent? No! The fact that everything he cooks either blows up, attacks him, or angrily gets up and walks away. And when it doesn't, he takes things all too literally. Had Angelo screwed up in the kitchen and reacted to it more, it would have been a solid character and a funny show.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I completely disagree that all new characters are flat. I found Johnny and Sal to be a complete delight of how they play off of everyone else and themselves, I think VanNeuter was a brilliant bit. It's just that Angelo came out of weird problems of a weird concept. A cooking show where you don't actually cook, but you can't do anything all that fun with it. They gave it their best shot, in the end it could have been much better... but even then, much better wouldn't have been all that memorable either. There was no room for conflict half the time, and that's what builds comedy. If Angelo either got easily frustrated or had some issues with any of the characters (like he sorta kinda did with Andy and Randy in the last one) there would have been something there. Even if he had some sort of rivalry with the Chef, there would have been something there...

Like this artist's rendering...

But the show demanded the culinary endeavors (save the sandwich) prove successful. Why is the Swedish Chef funny? His goofy accent? No! The fact that everything he cooks either blows up, attacks him, or angrily gets up and walks away. And when it doesn't, he takes things all too literally. Had Angelo screwed up in the kitchen and reacted to it more, it would have been a solid character and a funny show.
Oh okay, I see what your getting at now. Yeah, I agree. Characters playing off of each other and getting all fusterated. Yeah, that defiantly would've made the show more funnier. Kind of like Ernie & Bert where you have character's that are completely opposite clash. So in this case Angelo would be more of the straight-man but in this case it would be funnier if he had anger management problems and of course The Swedish Chef doing what he does best like what it shows in that drawing. Really funny by the way. LOL

But yeah, I didn't really mean that all new characters where flat strictly believing that. Just lately with Angelo and Walter. I love the Muppets Tonight characters, I thought they were really hilarious and true to The Muppet universe of characters.
Sorry about the little mix up there.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Walter's future appearances depend on how the movie goes. I have no doubt we'd see him again, but he'd definitely be a second or third string character. Angelo, however, was a one time thing. He isn't even being recycled as a background puppet.

Great Gommzo

Reaction score
I can't stand Rizzo personally, and the fact he featured so prominently in the later muppet movies ruined them for me. Yet characters that used to be main players - Rowlf, Scooter etc barely featured at all.