If "The Muppets" is a success: What's next?

dwmckim

Reaction score
So true! Mom said...
Y'know, even though it's link who always wants his mama, it seems like Fozzie has the strongest connection with his ma than any other Muppet.
Johnny Fiama might disagree...

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
So true! Mom said...
Y'know, even though it's link who always wants his mama, it seems like Fozzie has the strongest connection with his ma than any other Muppet.
I agree! It's pretty funny when Ma Bear falls asleep watching the Muppet Show, and Fozzie's reaction is so surprised! Fozzie is a great son, and I bet Ma Bear's very proud of him!

Drtooth

Reaction score
After seeing the film, I honestly can't say I know what kind of movie I want them to do next. Cheapest sounds like it could work, but it would have to be really absurd, and that might turn the younger kids off. But it's just experimental enough to work as a second film... it would have been a TERRIBLE idea to relaunch the franchise with it, but a good one to continue it.

I would not want to see a completely direct sequel in which Tex Richman comes back to his senses for a revenge plot. I HATE revenge sequels (though I did like that in Aladdin 2)... TMNT II would have been a better film had it not focused on Shredder getting revenge from the first film (why does Stockman keep getting the shaft in these things?)... it would be too predictable and kinda lazy. I'd rather see a Nicky Holiday revenge plot than Tex Richman. I'm also serious about NO MORE classic retellings. Jerry Juhl was the only reason why those films worked, MTI moreso than MCC... MOz was junk... the Comic books got it right, but they also were all Muppet projects. If they did something the opposite of MCC, and make the Muppets the stars and the humans cameos and tertiary characters, that would work better... still, I want to see them be themselves. And no theme movies like MFS was.

12Medbe

Reaction score
After seeing the film, I honestly can't say I know what kind of movie I want them to do next. Cheapest sounds like it could work, but it would have to be really absurd, and that might turn the younger kids off. But it's just experimental enough to work as a second film... it would have been a TERRIBLE idea to relaunch the franchise with it, but a good one to continue it.

I would not want to see a completely direct sequel in which Tex Richman comes back to his senses for a revenge plot. I HATE revenge sequels (though I did like that in Aladdin 2)... TMNT II would have been a better film had it not focused on Shredder getting revenge from the first film (why does Stockman keep getting the shaft in these things?)... it would be too predictable and kinda lazy. I'd rather see a Nicky Holiday revenge plot than Tex Richman. I'm also serious about NO MORE classic retellings. Jerry Juhl was the only reason why those films worked, MTI moreso than MCC... MOz was junk... the Comic books got it right, but they also were all Muppet projects. If they did something the opposite of MCC, and make the Muppets the stars and the humans cameos and tertiary characters, that would work better... still, I want to see them be themselves. And no theme movies like MFS was.
Nicely put. I as well, don't have a clue on what movie the Muppets do next. Part of me would like to see a Doc Hopper revenge plot, just a part of me though. Perhaps a Rachel Bitterman revenge plot? Gosh, I'm sitting here just trying to think what kind of movie the Muppets could do next, I'll tell you, it's difficult!

On a similar note, a site displayed five things that the Muppets could do next, two things I severely disagree with: Retire and Remake one of the first three films.

Drtooth

Reaction score
On a similar note, a site displayed five things that the Muppets could do next, two things I severely disagree with: Retire and Remake one of the first three films.

There is no call to remake or even sequel any of the other movies... though this film was an open semi-sequel to the first (yet referenced MTM heavily), it wasn't quite a direct sequel (even though it did reference the events of that one even more heavily, but referenced it also as a movie). Remakes would be pointless. Unless they did a better MCC with Scooter as Scrooge's Uncle and Animal or Sweetums as the Ghost of Christmas yet to come.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
Hurrah, first post! :big_grin:

I do agree that they SHOULD bring back the Muppets Show, but put it on ABC Family, NOT Disney Channel, whatever you do. I have seen the short clip that was one on Disney Channel where Demi Lovato did a duet with Beaker, and though the idea of the duet was brilliant I wasn't very happy with what they did with either the Electric Mayhem or Kermit. So no Disney Channel. Not only that, but with ABC Family there would be greater opportunities to bring in celebrity guests from outside the usual Disney repetoire, like Florence Welch (of Florence and the Machine fame) or Adam and Jamie from the Mythbusters (I'd be willing to pay for that last one).

Also, if they do bring back the Muppet Show, they had better bring in writers that know their source material.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Also, if they do bring back the Muppet Show, they had better bring in writers that know their source material.
Hey Oz, I am totally with you on that last point. They WOULD need really good writers to keep this thing going from week to week, episode to episode with the same quality or writing as in the new movie. It would certainly require a good team with different writing skills (Good comedy gag writer, good Muppet writer, Muppet historian, musical writer). The original Muppet writing team combined the great Jerry Lewis with that great British gag writer (Jack Burns? Was that his name?).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There were many reports that the movie includes "every Muppet you can think of", but unless they were in deleted scenes I doubt every Muppet was in it. I hardly saw anyone I didn't see in the trailers, and the only scene I noticed where there were so many Muppets you'd have to pause to see everyone was in the trailers. I thoguth mayeb there'd be more characters, out of the frames shown in the trailers, but it's clear there wasn't (maybe there were characters in the crowd of the finale I couldn't see, but I don't think so). If big characters like Doglion, Mean Mama, Timmy, The Bossmen, The Gawky Birds, and Flectherbird were in it it'd be hard to miss them. There are many characters I would think some casual fans woudl recognize (Pops, Boppity, Annie Sue, Foo-Foo, George, Mildred, Hilda, the jugbands, not to mention more Muppets Tonight characters). Hopefully this movie will do good enough at the box office and they'll spend some of the money they make on rebuildiung characters who weren't rebuilt for "The Muppets".

If the YouTube videos come back, I'd like them to do something like the Bohemian Rhapsody video, but only with obscure characters.