Cartoon all stars to the rescue.

robodog

Reaction score
Mikey was pretty much everyone's favorite turtle at that time. Mine as well though nowadays I lean more towards Raphael.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to admit, I miss the pizza jokes, lol.
Sometimes they were fun, sometimes they were gratuitous. I think the first movie handled them better. Especially the moldy pizza sequence. "Question... do you like Penicillin on your pizza?"

Humming taps and sadly tossing it away never fails to kill me, and I get a lot more mileage out of it than the jokes about weird toppings (which some I'd tend to actually try).

But then again, I like the comics over all the other media... movies, cartoons... all of it. Even loving the new IDW comics.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There were hardly any pizza jokes or references in The Next Mutations series. I remember in one of the first episodes, Michelangelo asks if they want to get a pizza, and they (in annoyance) tell him to grow up. And I've read that pizza wasn't a big part of the original comics, just major in the animated series, though the first two movies featured a lot of pizza (the third one only has one or two pizza scenes/references, both made by Michelangelo).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah... but then again, I completely gave up with Next Mutation after a couple episodes with the annoying new Turtle. Really.. no one wants a fourth Stooge, what was the call for a fifth turtle?

But yeah, the old cartoon is the ONLY place where you'll find that much pizza jokes. I noticed in the new(est) movie Mikey was the only one who really at Pizza at all. I wanna say there's a reference in passing in the IDW comics, but I have to double check. The IDW line DOES mention a character called "General Krang" and promises you'll see some familiar faces.

Krang... that's the ONLY thing I truly miss about the old series. one of the best cartoon villains of all time, right there.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I can't believe I didn't think of this one before but the actor who played Doc on Fraggle Rock, Gerry Parkes, once guest starred on Today's Special, in an episode about alcoholism. It's actually quite disturbing because he becomes really cruel to the little mouse character who finds out about his problem (not to mention trashes the place). In the end he does agree to get help, but the show makes a very difficult but valid point:

Muffy: Gee from what I heard Phil just say, very soon he'll be OK!

Jodie: Muffy no, no it won't be soon. And it may be never. Some people can get better from a drinking problem but some people can't. But whatever happens it's up to Phil. I hope he makes it...

A lot of fans point out how unusual it is for any kid's show to be that blunt about drug addiction. But this is an important thing to know because the majority of the time addicts do relapse, often more than once. It's a lifetime problem that an addict will always have to deal with (if they choose to that is).

Yorick

Reaction score
Most people pick on specials with a positive message. But to me, I feel it's great they tried to have a good impact, and maybe save some lives. You never know what will impact you as a little kid and stay with you into adulthood. So, whether preachy or not, such things at least might help keep someone away from self destruction. But of course no one makes any shows or specials like that anymore. It's more important to be "cool" than to do good. :frown:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Most people pick on specials with a positive message. But to me, I feel it's great they tried to have a good impact, and maybe save some lives. You never know what will impact you as a little kid and stay with you into adulthood. So, whether preachy or not, such things at least might help keep someone away from self destruction. But of course no one makes any shows or specials like that anymore. It's more important to be "cool" than to do good. :frown:
Right I mean granted it can definitely be fun to mock these things sometimes, lol, but they did have good intentions. Just because it wasn't perfect doesn't mean we shouldn't be trying at all (which I feel like it happening nowadays).

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
Trying to send a positive message is, of course, not a bad thing. Being hokey, disingenuous, preachy, and obnoxious about it is what most people have a problem with.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Trying to send a positive message is, of course, not a bad thing. Being hokey, disingenuous, preachy, and obnoxious about it is what most people have a problem with.
Which is why I prefer the fun, eco-friendly Toxic Crusaders to the uberpreachy, obnoxious Captain Planet. I swear, Captain Planet produced a generation of kids who grew up to think recycling was hippy crap and side with the gas powered "Global Warming is a Myth" types. Being overly preachy about something is the PERFECT way to get everyone against your message.