Where's the love for Rocky and Bullwinkle?

Drtooth

Reaction score
But, don't all episodes have reviews of what prievously happened?

Shorter ones. Much, much shorter ones. The Jet Fuel episodes took up half or more of the 3 minute episodes. There are cases where the episode does one thing that undoes the events of the previous episode, and that's all the episode's good for. It's very slow pacing considering how break neck the rest of the series is.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
"Jet Fuel Formula" is one of my least favorite storylines. I like the first few chapters, but over the course of the whole storyline it does get tiring. And at 40 chapters it's the longest storyline ever (this and "Box Top Robbery" are the only Rocky and Bullwinkle storylines in the first season).

I used to think that Mucho Lomo was the last episode, due to the ending where Rocky and Bullwinkle go to jail. Of course, while Moosylvania Saved isn;t neccessarily a proper goodbye episode, the ending seems to hint at it being the end, with the way the "the end" thing comes up and the way Rocky and Bullwinkle talk before the episode ends (I don't really remember what they say... And like the first storyline, the last storyline is another one I don't care too much for).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In fact, I guess that's why the "Mucho Loma" and "Ruby Yacht" story arcs are among my favorites, mainly because those are really the only ones that mixed things up a bit by NOT having Boris and Natasha as the main antagonists of the plot, and we find Rocky and Bullwinkle actually end up being victims of circumstance rather than becoming victims of throwing themselves into the fire to put it out.
Boris and Natasha were also absent from "The Three Moosekateers".

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Of course, while Moosylvania Saved isn;t neccessarily a proper goodbye episode, the ending seems to hint at it being the end, with the way the "the end" thing comes up and the way Rocky and Bullwinkle talk before the episode ends (I don't really remember what they say... And like the first storyline, the last storyline is another one I don't care too much for).
Didn't they actually say something along the lines of, "Either this is the end, or we're in for a long wait for the next episode"?

Another interesting thing about Moosylvania Saved is that's the only storyline where the chapters didn't have the two alternating titles... in fact, IIRC (IS Season Five out on DVD yet, I haven't seen it), each of the chapters ended with Narrator pretty much being interupted by some sort of threat as he winds down with "Be with us next time for..."

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Another interesting thing about Moosylvania Saved is that's the only storyline where the chapters didn't have the two alternating titles... in fact, IIRC (IS Season Five out on DVD yet, I haven't seen it), each of the chapters ended with Narrator pretty much being interupted by some sort of threat as he winds down with "Be with us next time for..."
The final season is available on it's own on DVD (though I haven't seen any copies of season 5 or the complete series in stores). It's also on The Best of Boris and Natasha DVD and the Whistler's Moose VHS (chapters 2 and 3 are edited together... And I'm pretty sure chapter 3 ended with a "title" for the next episode). I recently saw that every episode (including season 5) is available for viewing on Hulu.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Didn't they actually say something along the lines of, "Either this is the end, or we're in for a long wait for the next episode"?

If memory serves me it was something like..

Rocky: Was that a shot?

Bullwinkle: Heck no Rocky!

Rocky: Well it sounded like a shot.

Bullwinkle: It was... The END!

Narrator: By George he's got it! It is the end! But don't forget to look out for further adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Bullwinkle: It may be a little hard to find, but don't give up.

Rocky: We're not.

I really like it when cartoons address that they're over... I hate the open ending stuff so bad. The finale of Batman Brave and the Bold ended with Batman telling the "boys and girls" that he'll still be there fighting crime until the next version of him comes out. Sometimes that's all kid's need. Not the "Oh! It's canceled!" that they come to after seeing it not hit the fall schedule.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Shorter ones. Much, much shorter ones. The Jet Fuel episodes took up half or more of the 3 minute episodes. There are cases where the episode does one thing that undoes the events of the previous episode, and that's all the episode's good for. It's very slow pacing considering how break neck the rest of the series is.
Ok! I haven't watched all my episodes of Jet Fuel yet, but they do seem much longer than usual.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wish there was some kind of guide detailing every segment from every half-hour as originally aired (the only things one can truly hope for are guides to the syndication half-hours and the episodes as released on DVD). That'd be interesting to see. But I guess the closest thing to half-hours as originally aired are looking at all the season one episodes on DVD before the season one set gets to episodes with Fractured Fairie Tales, Mr. Know-It-All, and Dudley Do-Right (as those segments first appeared in season 3). It seems all the supporting segments are shown in order, even if many are in the wrong episodes (I wonder if the last season episodes are accurate, considering that the Rocky and Bullwinkle segments are the only segments that got new episodes during the last season). The Moose That Roared has episode guides to every segment frome very Jay Ward series, but doesn't have full half-hour episode breakdowns.

Something I recently read on wikipedia (so maybe it's wrong) is speculation that the VHS tapes from Buena Vista changed their banners from "classic stuff" to "funny stuff" due to a letter written to the editors of a video magazine. I wish I knew what magazine. It'd be interesting to see the letter, if that was true.

The "Canadian Gothic" video is pretty much a Dudley Do-Right spotlight video, with the other supporting segments included. I sort of wish Buena Vista did that for the other supporting segments (yeah, most of the supporting segments later got single-disc "best of" releases I never bothered with getting). If it would have been difficult to come up with an artwork parody to match the other supporting segments, they could have saved such videos for the "funny stuff" videos.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I found a bit of footage from the Rocky and Bullwinkle attraction at Universal Studios: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W7x5Q0-VIM

It's a shame that there wasn't a wider angle to try to see how the effect of Boris appearing in the window after being shot out of the cannon was done (yeah, it was probably there but I wonder if they made smoke come out of the window and pushed Boris through or what).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One thing that I find interesting is that whole "defamation" lawsuit of sorts (sort of) filed by Derwood Kirby over the whole Kurward Derby thing, but that's really not the only time something like that has happened on Rocky and Bullwinkle: another example I can think of is from a Fractured Fairy Tale with an old wise man named Merlin LeRoy... you can't tell me that's not a playon the name of the big producer/director Mervin LeRoy.