What's in store for the Muppets in 2012 article

beaker

Reaction score
To be fair - the problems with that movie are not really his fault. Awful script, awful direction.
I stayed farrr away from that one. Then again, while I also avoided Catwoman, I did greatly enjoy Superman Returns and Watchmen...so not all non Nolan Batman DC films I feel are lame. Heck a lot of Marvel films I find a bit tedious to sit through

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I stayed farrr away from that one. Then again, while I also avoided Catwoman, I did greatly enjoy Superman Returns and Watchmen...so not all non Nolan Batman DC films I feel are lame. Heck a lot of Marvel films I find a bit tedious to sit through
Reynolds actually did a really good job with what he had. He's not the absolute ideal guy for the role (that would, of course, be Nathan Fillion) but he was the high point of the movie. Really gave it his all, even if the script ensured that his all couldn't ever be too much.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Reynolds actually did a really good job with what he had. He's not the absolute ideal guy for the role (that would, of course, be Nathan Fillion) but he was the high point of the movie. Really gave it his all, even if the script ensured that his all couldn't ever be too much.
It's not that Green Lantern was a bad movie, it's just a comic book franchise with a tediously long origin story that is impossible to tell in the length of a single movie. The scenes where Reynolds was hot dogging and clowning around were the few breathers the movie had. You think the pacing of the Muppets was rushed... we had to hear the entire back story of the Green Lantern corps in like 10 minutes, meet all the others in 10 minutes... Sinestro, the signature villain didn't even become a Yellow Lantern until after the movie's credits. Like I said, the INFO dump was the problem.

I just love the fact that Watchmen drove fans angrilly nuts, when it was a well thought out, well put together film. The comic's better, but it is in every case. Though I do like a couple of the changes. I even dig V for Vendetta. But the ONLY DC comic book movie I wanna see is an animated Plastic Man film.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I got dragged to it by someone who was insistent that it was going to be amazing despite the extreme negative reviews (I wanted to see X-Men: First Class which he insisted was garbage because he hasn't seen the other X-Men movies :rolleyes:), I absolutely hated it. I can't think of any movie more I hated in the last 10 years. I could go on a whole rant about this movie and everything wrong with it but I'll just make this brief: the movie seems more interested in showing Reynolds flaunting about being a Green Lantern (then when he actually has to do something, he wants out!) above everything else, it tries way too hard to be like Iron Man and Reynolds' character has 0 character development. He's a donkey and the beginning and he's still a donkey at the end. Green Lantern was one of my favorite characters in the Justice League cartoon from 10 years ago and this movie completely destroyed him for me. I can't look at any Green Lantern without thinking about this horrible movie.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I remember Jim Hill continually writing off Ratatouille a few years ago as a complete flop just because it didn't open as high as other Pixar films. And using The Simpsons Movie's opening weekend to say "Audiences are getting interested in 2D animation again!" and people are growing sick of 3D and it would beat Ratatouille at the box office... even though it was because the show is so loved, not because it was 2D (though I'm guilty of thinking that The Simpsons Movie was going to start a second animation renaissance...).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I got dragged to it by someone who was insistent that it was going to be amazing despite the extreme negative reviews (I wanted to see X-Men: First Class which he insisted was garbage because he hasn't seen the other X-Men movies :rolleyes:), I absolutely hated it. I can't think of any movie more I hated in the last 10 years. I could go on a whole rant about this movie and everything wrong with it but I'll just make this brief: the movie seems more interested in showing Reynolds flaunting about being a Green Lantern (then when he actually has to do something, he wants out!) above everything else, it tries way too hard to be like Iron Man and Reynolds' character has 0 character development. He's a donkey and the beginning and he's still a donkey at the end. Green Lantern was one of my favorite characters in the Justice League cartoon from 10 years ago and this movie completely destroyed him for me. I can't look at any Green Lantern without thinking about this horrible movie.
I don't even know why they bother doing comic book movies... it's like, who are they for? Comic book fans hate them, the general public doesn't know half the characters... It's like only because of the Iron Man movie that people know Iron Man existed.

The incessant Bro-ness of Green Lantern kinda was a turn off for me, sure. That seems a lot more Guy Gardener than Hal Jordan. And Killowagg was BARELY in the freaking thing. The whole movie shoulda been him. I give it a meh... Now, Captain America was a solid film. Not the best thing in the world, but a solid action film and Tommy lee Jones stole the show.

Still, the BEST comic book movies I've ever seen were the first TMNT film, Persepolis (that was a comic book), and Asterix in Britain.

I want to strangle some of those commentators. Specifically the one who is like, "I AM A STOCK HOLDER IN DISNEY AND BUHRBAHDURRR MUPPETS IS BAD." A good slapping would fix him/her.
And I'm sure they'd forcefully support garbage like Hanna Montana that made money in the short run.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I don't even know why they bother doing comic book movies... it's like, who are they for? Comic book fans hate them, the general public doesn't know half the characters... It's like only because of the Iron Man movie that people know Iron Man existed.
It's not comic book movies I have problems with. Strictly speaking superhero movies, the Spider-Man trilogy, Burton and Nolan Batman movies and the Marvel Studios films work because they are good movies. As someone who isn't interested in reading comics, they are entertaining popcorn movies that still have their own ways of adapting the stories the comics tell. Green Lantern didn't do that.

And I'm sure they'd forcefully support garbage like Hanna Montana that made money in the short run.
All I can say is that I'm happy Miley is done with Disney. Hannah Montana has completely disappeared from the Disney Channel's schedule and I'm just happy it's a thing of the past.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's not comic book movies I have problems with. Strictly speaking superhero movies, the Spider-Man trilogy, Burton and Nolan Batman movies and the Marvel Studios films work because they are good movies. As someone who isn't interested in reading comics, they are entertaining popcorn movies that still have their own ways of adapting the stories the comics tell. Green Lantern didn't do that.
Yeah. I have no idea why they thought Green Lantern was such a good idea... but did anyone see Jonah Hex? I mean, really... is there a soul out there that actually saw it? I'm not saying DC doesn't have characters as famous as Marvel, but they're just trying too hard to avoid doing a Wonder Woman movie. Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman... that's their Mickey, Goofy, and Donald titles... everyone knows them. I never saw Superman Returns, but I don't see why they felt it did so bad they just dumped the idea there and then. Look at how big the second Chris Nolan Batman film did. It totally eclipsed the first one and then some.

Still, I wonder if there was any potential to make a GOOD Green Lantern movie. No matter what the info dump was unavoidable... even if they had a different cast, it still would have come out a clumsy film. The sequel's bound to be better.. hopefully they make him a lot less Bro-nified in this one... I'm still really disappointed by Killerwagg's extremely short appearance. I said it before and I'll say it again... and we thought the pacing of the Muppets was too fast. Egad. No wonder I didn't hate the hot dogging d-baggy parts... I got a chance to breathe.

I kinda wish I saw Thor. I NEVER want to see another X-Men film as long as I live... unless Fox loses the license. I never liked the other ones, and heard nothing but terrible things about Wolverine. Still, the only comic movies I wanna see made are The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck (bound to be a hit in Europe), Plasticman (come on... give the dude some respect, WB!), and if we actually ever get a freaking Asterix movie over here... even the terrible live action ones.

All I can say is that I'm happy Miley is done with Disney. Hannah Montana has completely disappeared from the Disney Channel's schedule and I'm just happy it's a thing of the past.
The stock holders loved that garbage. it gave them a LOT of money in the short term... then it seemed everyone got sick of it. You barely hear about their tweeny bopper things anymore. P&F, WTP, even Mickey and Co... yes. Mostly Cars and Toy Story... but actual Disney things. That's great. I hope the Muppets have that presence.

The post film potential is unfathomable just yet... no one here can predict what to expect next. Sure, another movie down the line... some sort of TV project...