"The Muppets": Audience Reactions

Slackbot

Reaction score
There are theaters that have "sensory friendly" showings, where the lights are up, the sound is down, and people are free to walk around, talk, and whatever else during the show. A friend of mine who has two autistic children told me about these, which are geared toward children and adults with developmental disabilities. In fact, the next sensory-friendly show at the local AMC is The Muppets.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
There are theaters that have "sensory friendly" showings, where the lights are up, the sound is down, and people are free to walk around, talk, and whatever else during the show. A friend of mine who has two autistic children told me about these, which are geared toward children and adults with developmental disabilities. In fact, the next sensory-friendly show at the local AMC is The Muppets.
That's not a bad idea. I definitely get it when people have special needs and I wish more places could be accommodating like that.

beaker

Reaction score
That sounds like a nightmare type of showing for me:smile: I dont get why the Muppets wouldnt completely entrance kids of all ages and all walks of life. From what I know anything from the mind of Jim Henson has a really good effect on children with challenges.

At one showing I was at, the entire first few rows was all challenged kids and adults from a field trip, and they all loved it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Once the film started, those kids were quiet and very happy. If they didn't have developmental disabilities, then they must've never been in a theater before. The loudness and the crowds may just have scared the heck out of the little kids. This is MFS we're talking about and back when this theater was a second run... so we're talking 1999 at a cheap theater.

Beauregard

Reaction score
So, today, at work (in England) I was talking about robots with a colleague when she suddenly went, "80ss Roobot" in his voice. And then I laughed and she said she had seen it on the Simpsons, and I said, "Are you sure?" and then she suddenly realized that it was from The Muppets, and had to admit to me that she'd seen it online already. As much as that annoyed me, I *loved* having a friend spontaneously quote a Muppet movie!!!

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I went and saw it for a second time yesterday. Small crowd, but they really enjoyed it (as did I). The best reaction was from the kid right behind me. Maybe three or four years old. He laughed at EVERYTHING! Even the sentimental stuff. He just seemed delighted that Muppets existed! The biggest laugh was reserved for the singing food during "Me Party." Especially the singing chocolate cake. It's funny--to me, talking and singing food is just something I expect. I've had enough exposure to the Muppets that it doesn't surprise me. But a singing chocolate cake was the greatest thing this kid had ever seen, which is as it should be. Thanks, Muppets!

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
one of the last times i saw it...there was a kid who as Fozzie walked out of the theater kept making the fart noise till the end of the movie....it was quite annoying and if i hadnt already seen it, i wouldve been a tad upset
The second time I saw the movie, I went to this really terrible theater that my dad loves going to. I went to go see Rango there months ago and had the single worst movie experience I've ever had. It seems in that town little kids have a really hard time sitting through a movie. Rango I had to deal with kids crying from the second the movie started, kids getting up to use the bathroom non-stop the entire movie, then they actually turned the sound completely off near the end because parents were complaining it was too loud. They were a lot more well-behaved during The Muppets, but not by much. Not too much crying, more due to the fact that the average movie theater there is about the size of half a classroom, every time someone leaves the theater, they block your view of the screen. But people were getting up constantly during the whole movie. There was one girl who had to be about 11 or 12 who was probably only in the theater for less than half of the movie because she kept getting up and leaving to go god knows where. There was a kid who kept dancing in the aisle for the first half of the movie and that was really annoying. The only good thing was that they had a 35mm film print of the movie rather than a digital projection. Otherwise, I'm convinced now I'm never going back to that theater again, even if it's for a movie I already saw.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I went to go see Rango there months ago and had the single worst movie experience I've ever had. It seems in that town little kids have a really hard time sitting through a movie. Rango I had to deal with kids crying from the second the movie started, kids getting up to use the bathroom non-stop the entire movie, then they actually turned the sound completely off near the end because parents were complaining it was too loud.
In the film's defense, Rango isn't something I'd take young children to see. If there was a PG 7+up rating, Rango would need one. Luckily when I saw it, the kids were all a bit older... I remember kids crying during the scary parts of Toy Story 3 (but for the record, the movie didn't market itself to having parallels to human trafficking and white slavery)... Bolt was the worst, and you know my Bolt story. Worst of all, I was recovering from a cough that NEVER left my body when the cold did, and I had to hold in laughter as hard as I could or else I'd be in a 10 minute coughing jag.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
In the film's defense, Rango isn't something I'd take young children to see. If there was a PG 7+up rating, Rango would need one. Luckily when I saw it, the kids were all a bit older... I remember kids crying during the scary parts of Toy Story 3 (but for the record, the movie didn't market itself to having parallels to human trafficking and white slavery)... Bolt was the worst, and you know my Bolt story. Worst of all, I was recovering from a cough that NEVER left my body when the cold did, and I had to hold in laughter as hard as I could or else I'd be in a 10 minute coughing jag.
That's exactly my point! People shouldn't be bringing their younger kids to see Rango when everyone was saying they shouldn't! I was probably the only person in that theater who didn't have a kid over the age of 7. It was craziness, I'll tell you that. The parents didn't even try to do anything to calm their kids down.